Evocative songs.

michael duffy

Ah know, we've had musical thread's comin' out of our ears,but a song you remember all your life, that has stayed with you, or marked an event in your life, gave you that "wow" anyhow,was havin' a toke on top of Ben Lomond,above the mist on a beautiful summer's day, wi' a gorgeous lassie, when this came on the John Peel show

Pink floyd animals and lyrics to dogs. When you get a knockback from a job because of the school you put down on the form you knew then you were in the company of masons and dobs.

and after a while, you can work on points for style
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile

The Clash always bring back memories of a different carefree time of my life.
Stay Free
White Man in Hammersmith Palais
Rudie Can't Fail
All bring back memories of people and places long forgotten, goods times and some grim times too.
The Belfast band Stiff Little Fingers were big in my social circle too. Certain songs o theirs bring back good memories.

We are now all familiar with this song now due to our french genius and our terracing songsmiths but for me, this version was particularly evocative for a few reasons...the earliest being as a 17 year old just left school, travelling down to the grim outskirts of widness to Spike Island with 4 like minded mates who had heard a few tracks from this band and we wanted more! It was a surreal occasion with mobs of similarly dressed folk from all over the UK all there to witness...well, we didnt really know what to expect TBH...but from the moment those first chords of "Adored" struck up, we were hooked and 30 years later on, i still am hooked and no other record that i have listened to in that period has been played more times bookend to bookend than "Stone Roses"
fast forward to 2013, after an almost 18 years of them not being together, the song strikes up again, ironically only 7 miles from Spike Island....Love this song, love the band and their debut in my eyes is the greatest popular/rock or any genre album of all time

Last edited:
Ah know, we've had musical thread's comin' out of our ears,but a song you remember all your life, that has stayed with you, or marked an event in your life, gave you that "wow" anyhow,was havin' a toke on top of Ben Lomond,above the mist on a beautiful summer's day, wi' a gorgeous lassie, when this came on the John Peel show

Did the Aye, aye aye aye song inspire you to go back in time Mick :)

We are now all familiar with this song now due to our french genius and our terracing songsmiths but for me, this version was particularly evocative for a few reasons...the earliest being as a 17 year old just left school, travelling down to the grim outskirts of widness to Spike Island with 4 like minded mates who had heard a few tracks from this band and we wanted more! It was a surreal occasion with mobs of similarly dressed folk from all over the UK all there to witness...well, we didnt really know what to expect TBH...but from the moment those first chords of "Adored" struck up, we were hooked and 30 years later on, i still am hooked and no other record that i have listened to in that period has been played more times bookend to bookend than "Stone Roses"
fast forward to 2013, after an almost 18 years of them not being together, the song strikes up again, ironically only 7 miles from Spike Island....Love this song, love the band and their debut in my eyes is the greatest popular/rock or any genre album of all time

Tis a great tune right enough Docco. Some good tunes fae the Madchester days too, Wrote for Luck by Happy Monday's for one.

Back