Feynoord v Celtic tue 19th KO 8pm CPT

We owe these a doing after what happened in 1970. I'm still traumatised 😩
Funny thing, tictastic, but much as the defeat was hard to take, I still think of Milan '70 as being up there with the many highlights of my time supporting our club.

The manner in which both sets of supporters mixed, both before and after the game, will live with me forever.

Of course, in the years following that game, the Dutch supporters, particularly Ajax, seemed to think it was their duty to indulge in out and out thuggery.

The Feyenoord fans, though, were terrific. Except for those bloody horns during the game itself !

Well, I never took it as graciously as you Frank, I was 20yr old and still headstrong (daft really) remember thinking as we all did then, who the f are feyenoord? Soon found out.

I was a couple of months short of my 22nd birthday, tictastic; same generation as yourself. And yes, I thought we'd win OK. Perhaps therein lies the lesson.

If only we'd avoided Leeds United until the final. The one that got away?

I was a couple of months short of my 22nd birthday, tictastic; same generation as yourself. And yes, I thought we'd win OK. Perhaps therein lies the lesson.

If only we'd avoided Leeds United until the final. The one that got away?
I posted this in 2019.

In the press box high above the stand the unbelieving faces of the English sporting corps- here to report another English triumph on Scottish soil- were a sight to see. They were drawn and sad. Such a Celtic spectacular was not in their script.
Leeds played for a time like a machine. Billy Bremner scored a goal which bent, curved and spiralled away from Evan Williams, who didn't really have a direct shot to deal with until the 76th minute. Celtic almost always played better than Leeds. There was a spell after the 14th minute when it looked as if they might totter but this idea was quickly corrected.
The Celts had shaken off their Scottish Cup Final disappointment and went professionally about the job of winning the most important match of their 83 year history. (Really? Surely the Final in Lisbon gets that title!)
Leeds were shown a thing or two about football they hadn't encountered before. It would be ungenerous to say they were outclassed, but off-hand I can think of no other word.
Celtic were a team inspired, invincibles on the night. It is rare to see a side in which every player is on his best form. This was Celtic last night.
Bertie Auld was the mastermind. Never a bad pass. Running and decoying.
After a tackle on Mick Jones, Billy Bremner gestured and argued with Auld while the centre was given treatment. It was a flashpoint moment. Auld kept his temper and went on superbly. David Hay, Jim Brogan, Jimmy Johnstone and Billy McNeil....they were all tremendous. John Hughes scored splendidly, then missed in the last seconds what would have been another magnificent goal. Bobby Murdochs second goal for Celtic brought out the greatest Hampden roar of all time.
In many ways it was sad to see a team of Leeds calibre being pulled apart this way. But it was being done by Celtic and every Scot loved it.
It was a game reminiscent of the great Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt final at Hampden. It had all the refinements and players as great as , Di Stefano, Puskas and Del Sol. It also had this marvellous crowd from all over Scotland who wanted only a Celtic victory. With a fine touch of irony in the last minutes of the game a chant for Jock Stein grew into a tremendous crescendo. And it all began in the end where the Rangers fans usually stand at Hampden.
The Celtic players did a lap of honour. It was the final icing on this delicious soccer cake.
Thursday April 16th 1970 written by Alex Cameron

I posted this in 2019.

In the press box high above the stand the unbelieving faces of the English sporting corps- here to report another English triumph on Scottish soil- were a sight to see. They were drawn and sad. Such a Celtic spectacular was not in their script.
Leeds played for a time like a machine. Billy Bremner scored a goal which bent, curved and spiralled away from Evan Williams, who didn't really have a direct shot to deal with until the 76th minute. Celtic almost always played better than Leeds. There was a spell after the 14th minute when it looked as if they might totter but this idea was quickly corrected.
The Celts had shaken off their Scottish Cup Final disappointment and went professionally about the job of winning the most important match of their 83 year history. (Really? Surely the Final in Lisbon gets that title!)
Leeds were shown a thing or two about football they hadn't encountered before. It would be ungenerous to say they were outclassed, but off-hand I can think of no other word.
Celtic were a team inspired, invincibles on the night. It is rare to see a side in which every player is on his best form. This was Celtic last night.
After a tackle on Mick Jones, Billy Bremner gestured and argued with Auld while the centre was given treatment. It was a flashpoint moment. Auld kept his temper and went on superbly. David Hay, Jim Brogan, Jimmy Johnstone and Billy McNeil....they were all tremendous. John Hughes scored splendidly, then missed in the last seconds what would have been another magnificent goal. Bobby Murdochs second goal for Celtic brought out the greatest Hampden roar of all time.
In many ways it was sad to see a team of Leeds calibre being pulled apart this way. But it was being done by Celtic and every Scot loved it.
It was a game reminiscent of the great Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt final at Hampden. It had all the refinements and players as great as , Di Stefano, Puskas and Del Sol. It also had this marvellous crowd from all over Scotland who wanted only a Celtic victory. With a fine touch of irony in the last minutes of the game a chant for Jock Stein grew into a tremendous crescendo. And it all began in the end where the Rangers fans usually stand at Hampden.
The Celtic players did a lap of honour. It was the final icing on this delicious soccer cake.
As I left Hampden that night I dont remember feeling sad for Leeds, I just remember my feet not touching the ground until I was back on Aitkenhead road.. I will probably never be in a crowd that size again...

Struggling here is this the match freed or the We remember freed is this game live thi nite or are we time travelling.
But thanks for those great stories Bhoys
I was 6 at the time but do remember the hurt on ma Uncles face he was so down
Even the league win wasn’t enough.
But I read the article by Alex Cameron.
A standard of Journalism that’s sadly passed away.
Let’s hope tonight’s result is a turning point in the rebirth of this Rogers team.
But I’d take a draw
Mon the Hoops

HH🍀

I posted this in 2019.

Was at the Real game but more importantly in the army at the time we had quite a few Celtic supporters including me and my mate John R needless to say we had our share of the other lot among whom was big Albert to say he was a Bluenose was a under statement he came over to our table in the mess and offered us 3to 1 onCeltic to get beat by Leeds myself and John emptEd our pockets and took the bet beleave me he hid all day trying to get. cash to pay us and the money he borrowed to set it up in the first place double win to us

Last edited:
If we had 2 from CCV, Nawrocki or Philips available I'd be confident of at least a draw and possibly a win. A centre back pairing of Lagerbielke and Scales isn't even close to being good enough at this level. Hoping BR springs a surprise and does something to shore us up defensively, maybe play an extra midfielder at the expense of a wide player and go with Maeda and Kyogo up front.

A draw would be a great result but fear another defeat by a couple of goals

I'm down in London on business for a few days. My work colleague (a season ticket holder) had bought tickets for us to go see Frankie Boyle tonight. 😥 Yes, a bit daft to come all the way to London to watch an angry Scotsman!!! So we're trying to find a pub near Leicester Square that will be showing the game so we can hopefully catch the latter stages of the match.

It will be tough but if our players play to their full potential then we have a good chance. COYBIG.

I'm down in London on business for a few days. My work colleague (a season ticket holder) had bought tickets for us to go see Frankie Boyle tonight. 😥 Yes, a bit daft to come all the way to London to watch an angry Scotsman!!! So we're trying to find a pub near Leicester Square that will be showing the game so we can hopefully catch the latter stages of the match.

It will be tough but if our players play to their full potential then we have a good chance. COYBIG.
Aye they test tube conferences ur a drag
Enjoy Frankie
Hope yir naw offended easily
How yi see the match enjoy
Sook oan the wiy

HH😉

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back