First Celtic game

Early 70s for me, I remember getting a lift over, sitting at the front wi ma legs on the red ash at the Celtic end. My Dad n Uncles half way up. I remember the players more than the games.
Away game was Motherwell sitting in a Cafe wi a knickerbocker glory while my Dad n Uncles were in the pub. There were a fair few of us Tims in there for sure ?

As a wee boy born and raised in Parkhead my pals and I would trot up to the game , get a' lift over' and spend the first half behind whatever goal Celtic were attacking , then at halftime wander round to the other goal to watch the rest of the game .

I couldn't tell you much about the early matches I attended as I was there mostly for mercenary reasons -At full-time we would collect as many bottles as we could - there was a deposit on bottles ( 3 pence in old money ) - and cash them in .
They sound like better days no sure i like the way the world is now

1974 Celtic vs St.johnstone Scottish cup midweek game and the floodlights where on, stuck in my memory forever! I can still smell the turf from that evening my grandfather drove the local Celtic bus from Phil Coles bar, those who remember will know it was more than one bus that ran from that pub, and most of the drivers where pissed? But yeah that evening put the barb in me! What a club to support ah feel blessed even when we get pumped ????

1974 Celtic vs St.johnstone Scottish cup midweek game and the floodlights where on, stuck in my memory forever! I can still smell the turf from that evening my grandfather drove the local Celtic bus from Phil Coles bar, those who remember will know it was more than one bus that ran from that pub, and most of the drivers where pissed? But yeah that evening put the barb in me! What a club to support ah feel blessed even when we get pumped ????
Hail Hail BertyBhoy

As a wee boy born and raised in Parkhead my pals and I would trot up to the game , get a' lift over' and spend the first half behind whatever goal Celtic were attacking , then at halftime wander round to the other goal to watch the rest of the game .

I couldn't tell you much about the early matches I attended as I was there mostly for mercenary reasons -At full-time we would collect as many bottles as we could - there was a deposit on bottles ( 3 pence in old money ) - and cash them in .

I used to do the same thing bunnet,beer bottles ,gingies,Lilybank bhoy here,Paradise was our playground when I was wee.......long time ago

Back