Fitness Issues.

Brimcbhoy

Ok this piece by 'Niall J' highlights some comments made by Leo Hjelde after his move to Leeds. It seems it was quite an eye opener for him adjusting to fitness levels expected under Bielsa at Leeds. This comes as no surprise to me as I often thought we looked leggy in the latter stages of games last Season, and the previous, to be honest.
I'm wondering though if the players are picking up hamstring injuries and such because they quite simply haven't been training hard enough for a few Seasons?
It's something we didn't have under Rodgers. It could be one explanation for all the injuries.
Not just pointing the finger at NL because other coaches are responsible for fitness too, some of them are still there!

Ok this piece by 'Niall J' highlights some comments made by Leo Hjelde after his move to Leeds. It seems it was quite an eye opener for him adjusting to fitness levels expected under Bielsa at Leeds. This comes as no surprise to me as I often thought we looked leggy in the latter stages of games last Season, and the previous, to be honest.
I'm wondering though if the players are picking up hamstring injuries and such because they quite simply haven't been training hard enough for a few Seasons?
It's something we didn't have under Rodgers. It could be one explanation for all the injuries.
Not just pointing the finger at NL because other coaches are responsible for fitness too, some of them are still there!

Just read that, another terrific piece from Naill. And ,of course, another clue as to the reason for our total collapse. What a difference six months or so can make. Past is gone eyes forward now.

Just read that, another terrific piece from Naill. And ,of course, another clue as to the reason for our total collapse. What a difference six months or so can make. Past is gone eyes forward now.
Yip frank eyes forward also just how much training with the first team he got I'm not sure of. He has gone into the leeds first team I noticed pretty quickly and rather than fitness it makes me wonder why he couldnt break into our pub team in a pub league but can in leeds

Yip frank eyes forward also just how much training with the first team he got I'm not sure of. He has gone into the leeds first team I noticed pretty quickly and rather than fitness it makes me wonder why he couldnt break into our pub team in a pub league but can in leeds
For as long as I can remember our league has been classed as third rate be our neighbours. Even The Lions were written off against the mighty Leed United back in 1970. We know how that turned out ! Nah, that's exactly the kind of tosh I ignore.

Last edited:
For as long as I can remember our league has been classed as third rate be our neighbours. Even The Lions were written off againstthe mighty Leed United back in 1970. We know how that turned out ! Nah, that's exactly the kind of tosh I ignore.
Doesnt seem to matter how many times we prove that myth as nonsense , in England money means better , tell newcastle fans that

To be fair not much attention was paid to diet and stuff back in the day.
It's only maybe since guys like Wenger came along in the 90's that the English clubs sat up and took notice. I remember Tony Adams saying Arsene was horrified by their diet when he took the job. Even the amount of tea they drank, although in Adams case that was probably a good thing!
;)

It's only maybe since guys like Wenger came along in the 90's that the English clubs sat up and took notice. I remember Tony Adams saying Arsene was horrified by their diet when he took the job. Even the amount of tea they drank, although in Adams case that was probably a good thing!
;)
Wenger not only changed English football in that way but European football as well mibbe Celtic will catch on one of these decades

I don't think Leeds had much choice yesterday
They had about 10 players out with injuries and he replaced a lad injured in the first half.

We saw a step up in fitness with Rogers when he came and it died off last season under Lennon

The team went from running 95 minutes and chasing opponents down puffing after 60 minutes and standing still.

Injuries are coming now with the high press fast game we play it happened to Pep and Klopp when they introduced it at their clubs

Once the players can play in that manner no team will be fast enough to get a look in

;)
Last I looked fitba was played with feet and heed
But no professional fitba player should be out of shape with the running they do

You can selectively grab a few quotes from over the years. Link it up with the players in and out with regime changes and manager styles.

Oneill "didn't have to coach them, I just had to manage them"
We had a lot of driven pros in the squad that would of trained hard, driving on the team. At the end of the tenure mibi levels dropped.
Keane "welcome to hell" - hartson eating crisps and drinking fizzy juice on the bus.
Strachan in + time - gets the team fitter.
Tony- NA
Lennon in then RD takes over and the team shed 100kg of body fat.
BR continues and raises the levels.
NL back in and that relentless press and speed drops off.

Ange boot camp = lots of muscle injuries.
Did he have a choice to take it slower? Judging by some of the early games he didn't.
Kyogo coming in with no rest and a few others lacking pre seasons or regular football (2 games pw) and the injuries have piled up.
Could do with getting the backroom team to where it needs to be as well

It's elite level fitness that RD, BR and now Ange are after. That extra few % that makes a difference.
So true Bobo you hear it all the time from professional athletes , tennis players etc who state openly they are chasing that extra 10% of fitness as it usually all things being equal amounts to being a champion and not a runner up. Have seen it with Djokovic, Andy Murray even snooker players

Back