Flying The Flag At Paradise: The Story Behind The Tricolour Ban Imposed On Part Of Ireland

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
The SFA had the balls to try telling us at one time that we couldn’t fly the tricolour at Celtic Park either...so guess where their leanings are.
As an aside this anti-Irish bias is sort of amusing (black humour sort) - the Scotii (see if you can guess where ‘Scotland’ came from) were an Irish tribe who lived in the western part of the country. But the stupid orange barstewards don’t even seem to know that their forefathers may have been Irish which would mean they are of Irish descent.
Maybe we shouldn’t point this out too much to the dumb shits. They might want to change the country name. Wonder what the thickos would come up with? Staunchland, Struthland?

Last edited:

Flying The Flag At Paradise: The Story Behind The Tricolour Ban Imposed On Part Of Ireland​

Interesting article from Liam Kelly...

One of the pre- troubles flash points happened when Ian Paisley led a mob into the Falls Road area because someone was displaying the Irish Flag in about 1966.

One of the pre- troubles flash points happened when Ian Paisley led a mob into the Falls Road area because someone was displaying the Irish Flag in about 1966.
That's in the article. The divis Street riots in 1964. The flags and emblems act a decade earlier effectively banned the tricolour. Then the 1964 general election saw the republican party put a tricolour in the window of their election office at divis Street on the lower falls. It was fine for 3 weeks until Ian paisley whipped up a frenzy and eventually led to the riots

I'm I right in saying that when the SFA tried to force us to remove the tricolour or be suspended from the league, a vote went to the other teams and it was the old rangers that actually had the deciding vote that kept us in the league?? I'm sure this is a story I've heard but maybe someone can elaborate. If this is true I don't for a second think they deserve our thanks or anything, their board, like ours today, obviously understood the financial benefits of keeping your biggest rivals in the league.

I'm I right in saying that when the SFA tried to force us to remove the tricolour or be suspended from the league, a vote went to the other teams and it was the old rangers that actually had the deciding vote that kept us in the league?? I'm sure this is a story I've heard but maybe someone can elaborate. If this is true I don't for a second think they deserve our thanks or anything, their board, like ours today, obviously understood the financial benefits of keeping your biggest rivals in the league.
Yes it is true. Hibs voted against it as their chairman Harry Swan was a masonic fool working his way up the SFA. Rangers had the deciding vote and voted for Celtic to keep the flag flying. Not for any nice reasons, purely because Rangers was a club built on bigotry. They knew that if the tricolour came down and Celtic were either gone or lost their Irishness then there would be nothing to attract fans to Ibrox. Rangers were never a huge club until they re-aligned their whole identity to become this bastion of bigotry, and a loyalist club. If they lost that they would be nothing

Yes it is true. Hibs voted against it as their chairman Harry Swan was a masonic fool working his way up the SFA. Rangers had the deciding vote and voted for Celtic to keep the flag flying. Not for any nice reasons, purely because Rangers was a club built on bigotry. They knew that if the tricolour came down and Celtic were either gone or lost their Irishness then there would be nothing to attract fans to Ibrox. Rangers were never a huge club until they re-aligned their whole identity to become this bastion of bigotry, and a loyalist club. If they lost that they would be nothing

👍👍👍👍 thanks liam

Reactions: CAZ
I read somewhere that Deidco became sectarian after an influx of shipyard workers to the Clyde from Belfast. The Clyde shipyards were incredibly busy in the run up to World War 1 and imported workers from the North of Ireland.
That's true. There was a dislike of Celtic as an immigrant catholic team doing well and Rangers saw a financial opportunity to become the team to oppose them and become the total opposite. They got huge support by being that club , re-aligned their whole identity and became the team to challenge us immigrant vermin

This might interest you Liam. It is part of statement given to the Irish Bureau of Military History by H. W. Hutchison who was a Sinn Fein member in Lanarkshire.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    272.5 KB · Views: 6
  • image.png
    image.png
    316.2 KB · Views: 10
I read somewhere that Deidco became sectarian after an influx of shipyard workers to the Clyde from Belfast. The Clyde shipyards were incredibly busy in the run up to World War 1 and imported workers from the North of Ireland.
My granda said that the sectarianism took off after the Harland & Wolfe crowd showed up in the shipyards.
Although I also recall reading a story that H & W gave the huns a £10K loan but a condition was no catholics in the team.

My granda said that the sectarianism took off after the Harland & Wolfe crowd showed up in the shipyards.
Although I also recall reading a story that H & W gave the huns a £10K loan but a condition was no catholics in the team.
There is a good write up on this in Stephen O'Donnell's "Tangled Up In Blue". He summarises their history before getting into their Craig Whyte inspired hilarity.

Members online

Latest posts

Back