Football Insider reports Celtic have opened talks with Keane

our vital season stars July 21st with Europe second round qualifying. That's just 114 days. On that basis with every passing day and game John Kennedy stands a good chance of getting the permanent gig. Any other manager would take time to get to know the ability of our squad and JK does not. The reason that no one else has been appointed is that JK has the job unless we end the season badly.

our vital season stars July 21st with Europe second round qualifying. That's just 114 days. On that basis with every passing day and game John Kennedy stands a good chance of getting the permanent gig. Any other manager would take time to get to know the ability of our squad and JK does not. The reason that no one else has been appointed is that JK has the job unless we end the season badly.
MODERATOR MODERATOR 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂y to youse know the rest 😂😂😂😂😂😂

How come managers get hired and fired mid season then Doc???

5 games till the end of season is not mid-season. JK has incumbancy and anyone else has to be considerably better.

No harm to ye bigman, but for a man who claims to be a doctor, ye have some daft notions.

I
So according to the rags all commenting on Celtic, all is rosy in the other garden with millioniaro players coming and zillionaire world beaters leaving for lesser but well known not world beaters like the galactios and slippy is been given a wage increase to stop him taking the England job for the world cup and Euros.

Mark Warburton can be England manager, says Rangers striker​

Kenny Miller believes Mark Warburton will go on to become manager of England as the Rangers manager prepares to complete negotiations on a new Ibrox contract.​

Give me a shout if Roy arrives if not he is not signed tonight then why are papers been writing about a story that has not happened for days is there something they want us to take our minds off, is Davie back for the shares sell before the Ashley case settles.
It's always been the case boab, subservience to the new club from Govan is as alive and well as it ever was with the dead club.. That's why I hardly ever read the back pages these days. I'm torn between two trains of thought regarding giving them scope to write their nonsense. I want Celtic to take as long as it takes to get it right on one hand, and on the other, I would like a new manager appointed quickly. just to shut them up. Probably best to ignore them and let the club get on with it. We should also remember, good or bad, that's the reason The Celtic View was created; it was to give us a counterbalance against their nonsense.

Lets have a look at this statement docco as I feel it's an emotional response and your personal opinion (which your entitled too). My personal opinion is that Celtic need a manager that has a record of turning things around (only lucky managers get to take over a team at the top) and WINNING trophies. I like the thought of Eddie Howe so here goes....

Managerial Stats Overall:
Chris Wilder - Win 43.7%
Eddie Howe Win 41.3%
Paul Lambert Win 37.3%
Roy Keane - Win 38.7%

Managerial Stats in the EPL (probably same stress level as managing us:
Eddie Howe Win 30%
Chris Wilder - Win 27%
Roy Keane - Win 28%
Paul Lambert Win 25%

Honors:
Eddie Howe Football League Championship: 2014–15
Roy Keane - Football League Championship: 2006–07
Chris Wilder - Football League Two: 2015–16, EFL League One: 2016–17
Paul Lambert Football League One: 2009–10

Honestly after just looking at the stats I tend to agree with with you, however non of them had the chance of taking a job at a top 5 down in England to win the EPL. I would say that Howe and Wilder are very similar, have a lot of experience with clubs from different levels so they wouldn't be cutting it at Celtic.

Wilder has managed nearly 1,000 games and is the only one that has gone up levels that seems to have got better:
View attachment 14001
I really don't envy the board at the moment having to pick a manager who really might not even want to come to Celtic (might be the usual we wanted number 1 would had to settle for number 4 or 5 on the list). It's a shame we didn't back Brendon.

So if I had the choice of
Eddie Howe
Roy Keane
Chris Wilder
Paul Lambert

I would go for Howe or Wilder, I'm actually think Wilder would be slightly less of a risk. Managing Sheffield United in a city with big rivals and old industrial city like our would be a easier change than taking Howe from down south.

But actually reading up on them all..... maybe they're all too risky, but who isn't. Another is Steve Clark.... who on the face of it only did well at Killy.

View attachment 14002
Just for perspective could you provide the stats on Lennon in the table CR?

Lets have a look at this statement docco as I feel it's an emotional response and your personal opinion (which your entitled too). My personal opinion is that Celtic need a manager that has a record of turning things around (only lucky managers get to take over a team at the top) and WINNING trophies. I like the thought of Eddie Howe so here goes....

Chris Wilder - Win 43.7%
Eddie Howe Win 41.3%
Paul Lambert Win 37.3%
Roy Keane - Win 38.7%

Eddie Howe Win 30%
Chris Wilder - Win 27%
Roy Keane - Win 28%
Paul Lambert Win 25%

Honors:

Honestly after just looking at the stats I tend to agree with with you, however non of them had the chance of taking a job at a top 5 down in England to win the EPL. I would say that Howe and Wilder are very similar, have a lot of experience with clubs from different levels so they wouldn't be cutting it at Celtic.

Wilder has managed nearly 1,000 games and is the only one that has gone up levels that seems to have got better:
View attachment 14001
I really don't envy the board at the moment having to pick a manager who really might not even want to come to Celtic (might be the usual we wanted number 1 would had to settle for number 4 or 5 on the list). It's a shame we didn't back Brendon.

Eddie Howe
Roy Keane
Chris Wilder
Paul Lambert

I would go for Howe or Wilder, I'm actually think Wilder would be slightly less of a risk. Managing Sheffield United in a city with big rivals and old industrial city like our would be a easier change than taking Howe from down south.

But actually reading up on them all..... maybe they're all too risky, but who isn't. Another is Steve Clark.... who on the face of it only did well at Killy.

View attachment 14002

Great reply my man! Cheers for backing up what I've been saying all along 👍😎
We need to be going after winners, not boomerang managers

It's the boards plans for JK that has me worried more than anything.
He isn't getting the gig. He doesn't deserve the gig.
Take away the BRs influence and he can't be credited for carrying anything forward.
He has been part of a set up that has produced some of the worst football to be played at CP in over 20yrs. For that he has to go.

My concern is that we are attempting to strong arm him into any future candidates plans.

To attract a decent manager there have to be a few boxes ticked.

Salary
Transfer budget
Inheriting a decent squad
Carrot of European football
Say on transfers
Healthy relationship with the board.
Freedom to bring in a backroom

Salary we can do - Rumoured BR was picking up 40k+ and bonuses

Transfer budget - Talk of massive investment. I'm taking this with a pinch of salt as the majority of this massive investment will come from player sales. Technically its classed as investment if you judge it from a balance sheet perspective. With the want aways and contracts running down then it's a smaller pot so we are going to have to be lucky to replace like for like for cheaper and still improve the squad.

Squad inheritance - covered above. Barebones comes to mind if all the names we expect to go leave, underperformed move on etc.

European football - with the Euros and player sales how ready are we going to be to make run at it?

Say on transfers - no idea what the new DOF and scouting teams role will be. We are investing and recruiting so they will play a big part.

Healthy relationship with the board - Jury is out on this one. Every manager since O'Neil had their wings clipped to some extent. Even our Seville team was allowed to age and stagnate.

Freedom to bring in a backroom -
And so we go full circle back to Kennedy.

I've listed above a good few things that any candidate will want to look for if he applies. With every club there will be challenges and restrictions. The bare minimum most managers will want is to bring in thier own no2 and coaching team. It's unthinkable that we will loose quality candidates for the sake of keeping one golden boy coach employed

5 games till the end of season is not mid-season. JK has incumbancy and anyone else has to be considerably better.
Doesn't answer my question Doc, let me explain, You reckon that JK has the job because he is in situ and no one else coming in at the end of the season would know our players, If that was correct, clubs would rarely sack mid season and bring in someone with no connection to the club, Your statement about JK is an opinion nothing more, you are as entitled to them as any Celtic fan on here, he might get it he might not, I very much doubt if the board are watching and waiting to see our remaining league results before making a decision,especially if the stories about the many coming departures are true.

Chris Wilder - Win 43.7%
Eddie Howe Win 41.3%
Paul Lambert Win 37.3%
Roy Keane - Win 38.7%

Eddie Howe Win 30%
Chris Wilder - Win 27%
Roy Keane - Win 28%
Paul Lambert Win 25%

Honors:

View attachment 14001

Eddie Howe
Roy Keane
Chris Wilder
Paul Lambert

View attachment 14002
Fair play CR for doing your research on stats, but sorry I don't buy into them to much either.
Let's look at achievement.
Is taking Bournemouth through the leagues and keeping them within the EPL on the lowest budget available, holding there own against teams that were ripping up the cream of Europe on a regular basis some achievement?
I would put that on par if not better than us trying to hold down a regular CL spot.
Oh so Bournemouth got relegated because of injuries to key players on the last day of the season, does that now make klopp shite if Liverpool miss out on CL football next season? Due to the same reasons.
So cause Howe hasn't won any big prizes in the most competitive league in the world, that makes him unsuitable because he has never won trophies is just nonsense.
We need to take stock of where we are as a club at the moment.
We all hope for a top class manager that can rebuild a team not only to reclaim back the dominance in Scotland but also to become competitive in Europe again.
In only a 2 horse race in Scotland its hardly going to take a top manager to turn that around with just a far better managerial skills than what we have had of late should be enough to do that.
Been competitive in Europe may well take a bit longer as to make a team than can preform at a much higher standard than we are use to of late.
We also need a manager that can deal with the corruption of the cheating mib's by making them irrelevant in matches.
We need a manager that can get a team to try and play on some of the shocking surfaces like an all weather pitch that gets games called off for been frozen and waterlogged, and even our own surface hasn't been up to much for large parts of the season.
A manager that needs to try and transform what looks like a toxic changing room at present, and has to do so on a relatively low budget as well.
All of this has to be done with an expecting support demanding for the success of the last number of years to be restored instantly.
Stats at present would make slippy look like a world beater at present I suppose, and surely we can still get someone who is far more appealing than a scouse git that took 3 seasons to be handed his first trophy.
European football will be the desire for any new manager to succeed in, is that also the desire of this current board? We have seen nothing for the past 3 seasons to say it is.
Eddie Howe for me would tick most of the boxes we need to get the success back imo but I also don't believe we could attract
him either sadly.
At a guess with doing stats, I would say duffy would possibly still have the best stats for headed clearances in our biggest weakness at set plays, so would that make him our best defender? I think we all know the answer to that

Last edited:
Just for perspective could you provide the stats on Lennon in the table CR?

VigoBhoy Lennon's stats are actually quite impressive and when you thrown in covid and the effect it had on us. He had the same win record for both his spells.

1617059720317.png

And his winning record goes without saying as a manger (he also won the Championship with Hibs).

Below is Slippy's win record at Rangers:

gerrad.PNG

John nó, I agree with you completely my first choice is Eddie Howe and always has been. I really like what he did with Bournemouth and how(e)he kept them in the EPL. However, I really didn't know much about Wilder until looking through the stats, and his journey up the ladder is very impressive too. He also has much more managerial experience and at different clubs.

I have been quite careful not to jump on any manager bandwagon because everyone is talking about them, I wouldn't be too upset if either of Howe or Wilder got the job. I haven't really looked at any Non Brit/irish managers as of yet.

John nó, I agree with you completely my first choice is Eddie Howe and always has been. I really like what he did with Bournemouth and how(e)he kept them in the EPL. However, I really didn't know much about Wilder until looking through the stats, and his journey up the ladder is very impressive too. He also has much more managerial experience and at different clubs.

I have been quite careful not to jump on any manager bandwagon because everyone is talking about them, I wouldn't be too upset if either of Howe or Wilder got the job. I haven't really looked at any Non Brit/irish managers as of yet.
Many a manager CR will be judged upon players bought into the club and how much impact they had.
When the money spent turns out to be such a waste then the managers job is very hard to keep especially when results don't match the investment hence lenny, wilder and lampard lose their jobs eventually.
Can we really afford now to having to take that risk in a manager who hasn't got a great track record within the transfer market?
We have already taken Liam Shaw, so who gave the green light for that one?
Can a new management team get the improvement from the current youngsters to get them to 1st team standards to accommodate a squad position on a regular basis?
This is a major area as a club we have to depend on a new manager been able to improve dramatically or it stands to cost us a small fortune to get us back to where we would want and like to be.
Stats may look impressive for lenny in his last stint as manager, reality is he has also set us back years and a huge mess that someone will hopefully sort out quickly for our sakes

Again John, stats can be deceiving can't they. I don't think Lennon's last season is a true reflection either as Covid had such an impact (doesn't forgive his results in the champions league - where I would have sacked him). If you want to see how Covid can effect a season just have a look at Carlisle United's results, flying high and top of their league 2nd January. Covid lock down (breach?) started playing again 30th Jan and won 2 games since!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020–21_Carlisle_United_F.C._season The fan's are asking the same question, why the team can't last longer than 60mins etc.

As always the football manger is the most important employee of the club.

Members online

Latest posts

Back