'Give Celtic a Director of Football, Mr Lawwell and Neil Lennon will deliver,' Niall J

Thanks Niall. This sums up pretty much how I feel. We are doing mostly quite well despite some obvious reoccurring errors in our management. I still stick by my previous statements that I don't want Lawwell out completely just not so involved in the footballing side of operations (I may be in the minority here as I suspect many want him out completely).

As Niall states we need a proper scouting network and Director of Football for proper structured long-term growth and development.

Overall we are mostly in an amazing place in our history but the over-riding feeling for me is we could do better and do things much much earlier in the window.

Thanks BB. The Lawwell issue has had me in a quandry for sometime. I think right up to the moment The Celtc Star and Celtic Underground had artcles showing how we'd gambled on compensation for Congerton while alowing the scouting system to be mothballed I wanted him to stay. I naively believed him when he sat with Lennon and said we'd have a director of football, I believed he realised he had to take a step back. The fact we don't means I don't think he can allow someone with that autonomy to come in, it also makes me think if we want someone who is proven in such a role they are unlikely to work under such a level of micro management.
The money side sadly I don't think is enough now to massage the ego, he wants his hands on day to day football matters. Sadly no-one seems willing to question him.

Thanks BB. The Lawwell issue has had me in a quandry for sometime. I think right up to the moment The Celtc Star and Celtic Underground had artcles showing how we'd gambled on compensation for Congerton while alowing the scouting system to be mothballed I wanted him to stay. I naively believed him when he sat with Lennon and said we'd have a director of football, I believed he realised he had to take a step back. The fact we don't means I don't think he can allow someone with that autonomy to come in, it also makes me think if we want someone who is proven in such a role they are unlikely to work under such a level of micro management.
The money side sadly I don't think is enough now to massage the ego, he wants his hands on day to day football matters. Sadly no-one seems willing to question him.
I know what you are saying and have been going that way myself, but I don't believe he will walk away and the board won't make him go as from they seem to think he is doing exactly what they want. My compromise is initially getting him hands-off the football but as you say I am probably being very naive as his ego seems to be so big that he won't give it up easily.

Ultimately my opinion means nothing to Lawwell or his employers, but I only want what is best for us overall and his tippy tappy tactics in the transfer window are as frustrating as Rodgers tippy tappy on field tactics were.

I know what you are saying and have been going that way myself, but I don't believe he will walk away and the board won't make him go as from they seem to think he is doing exactly what they want. My compromise is initially getting him hands-off the football but as you say I am probably being very naive as his ego seems to be so big that he won't give it up easily.

Ultimately my opinion means nothing to Lawwell or his employers, but I only want what is best for us overall and his tippy tappy tactics in the transfer window are as frustrating as Rodgers tippy tappy on field tactics were.
Give a DOF a budget and Lenny work within it and only if they need to go outside that budget should Lawwell get involved, sadly and I wish I was wrong I no longer see it as possible. If he'd agree why not give it a shot just not sure it would last.

Thankfully most of the dissenting voices have been silenced since we beat them on Sunday but im sure they will return as soon as we have a bad result.
But if we had a DOF who would face the ire of the vocal minority?
Lenny the puppet?
Lawell the meddling tory?
Or the DOF, employed by the meddling tory and with his hand up the puppet?

?

Thankfully most of the dissenting voices have been silenced since we beat them on Sunday but im sure they will return as soon as we have a bad result.
But if we had a DOF who would face the ire of the vocal minority?
Lenny the puppet?
Lawell the meddling tory?
Or the DOF, employed by the meddling tory and with his hand up the puppet?

?
True you can't please everyone all of the time. But you can fix the obvious issue. What about employing a whipping boy?Worked for the Royals for centuries

Going by the window were going in the right direction and had to play catch up with the windows Lawwell/Rodgers ruined

There's a whole rebuilding job needed in the background on the coaching staff , the scouting network needs rebuilt and the D,O.F needs to be addressed once and for all

Sounds like Lenny rates Hammond.will be interesting to see if he stays.
We seem to have tapped into the EPL youth market and picked up some gems .Hammond will know that market like the back of his hand ,some approaches were made over 2 weeks ago for the Manchester lads and we moved quickly enough to snap them up

The approach to Hammond and the players recruited would point to a guy who can spot a talent all signings apart from the Turnbull rumour came from nowhere

Maybe his temporay role was to see if he was a good fit for both parties ,as you said Lenny rates him and going by the window he was successful in his recruitment .

Hopefully Celtic do the right thing and make his appointment permanent and don't make the same mistake we made with Park

oh forgot to say another excellent article coverd all the bases

We seem to have tapped into the EPL youth market and picked up some gems .Hammond will know that market like the back of his hand ,some approaches were made over 2 weeks ago for the Manchester lads and we moved quickly enough to snap them up

The approach to Hammond and the players recruited would point to a guy who can spot a talent all signings apart from the Turnbull rumour came from nowhere

Maybe his temporay role was to see if he was a good fit for both parties ,as you said Lenny rates him and going by the window he was successful in his recruitment .

Hopefully Celtic do the right thing and make his appointment permanent and don't make the same mistake we made with Park

oh forgot to say another excellent article coverd all the bases
Cheers Kelly. This will be a big test. We know Lenny likes him. If he goes it won't be because of a lack of working relationship with the manager. I like the transfer angle too. Real thought on How to find an angle for British and Irish players. Got to be Hammond.

Cheers Kelly. This will be a big test. We know Lenny likes him. If he goes it won't be because of a lack of working relationship with the manager. I like the transfer angle too. Real thought on How to find an angle for British and Irish players. Got to be Hammond.

The answer when it comes will show just how much ambition we have do we stick or twist ,,,,over to you Peter

Thank you Niall for your excellent piece.

Now a structure, a DOF, scouting network, budget, and planning in place, A well oiled machine like as you say would replicate the merchandise and other side of the business. I believe and hope that once a structure with clear job descriptions and budgets are in place for DOF/scouting etc that should help PL from being so hands on with regards recruitment of players. Wouldn’t that be wonderful - maybe worth fighting for.

Maybe a bit naive but my glass is always half full so let’s keep at this, take it forward and hold onto what is best for our team for now and in the future and anything is possible.

Thank you Niall for your excellent piece.

Now a structure, a DOF, scouting network, budget, and planning in place, A well oiled machine like as you say would replicate the merchandise and other side of the business. I believe and hope that once a structure with clear job descriptions and budgets are in place for DOF/scouting etc that should help PL from being so hands on with regards recruitment of players. Wouldn’t that be wonderful - maybe worth fighting for.

Maybe a bit naive but my glass is always half full so let’s keep at this, take it forward and hold onto what is best for our team for now and in the future and anything is possible.
Hi CR thank you for reading and feeding back. Agree with your post. We have a well run club, some minor tweaking and defined roles could see us dominant for years at home and my dream is to become a relevant European team again. Fingers crossed.

Well done again Niall, time will tell if we get a dof, probably best we get someone that ain't close to either Peter or Neil, but John Park would probably suit them both, perhaps his remit should be get the players needed in early and no gambling.

H.H ?????
Thanks 50. I'd certainly like his remit to look at a different tact for when we approach players. Especially given our qualifiers are so early and that won't be changing for sometime.

Thanks 50. I'd certainly like his remit to look at a different tact for when we approach players. Especially given our qualifiers are so early and that won't be changing for sometime.
Because we usually start qualifiers about 2nd week of July, and international players are tied up to mid-June at least with qualifiers or competitions, this leaves us so little time to bring in players early on (not that we make too much effort at this).

Therefore it makes sense to me to use the January transfer window to get new players in then so they get settled in and used to their colleagues so they are fully up to speed when we kick off the following season.

Instead we use January for short-term loan deals often for players not with us the next season. Although this can help us out if we've a short-term problem, it is not a good strategy to use year after year after year.

Back