Great Celtic games

DILLIGAF

Lubo Moravcik, what a player
Henrik's 50th goal too
What a squad we had back in those days, Larsson, Lubo, Lennon, Sutton, BBJ, Mjallby, Lambert, Thommo, Stan, Bobo, and the rest
Watch Ferguson's studs up tackle on Thommo at the 3:35 mark, bastard should have been sent off
Some pretty meaty tackles in this game

Last edited:
I was only 10 years old and on the way to the game was told by many " unless we score early we're fukd" my first experience of the pessimistic glass half empty Celtic supporter.
The game In question? One of Celtic's greatest ever comebacks losing 2 -0 from the first leg in Lisbon. The 1983 2nd round 2nd leg Vs Sporting Lisbon.
First shock of the night was Celtic for the first time wearing the new all green/lime strip and sporting wearing the hoops instead of us , big mistake just annoyed us and I don't mind saying that I cheered sporting onto the pitch along with many others who thought it was Celtic and it was really only the Hooped socks plus a few big guys of colour that gave it away as we had none.
Having to win 3-0 to progress we'd been written off by all. It was 3-0 by ht from one of the most exciting Celtic sides you could ever wish to see. A team with Burns, MaCadam, Mcclair , McLeod and Mcgarvey all scored on the night McClair even had one ruled out. As I say I was 10 but this game will live with me for the test of my days . I'll post some details in a minute but first and no cheating by using Google, what was so significant about the sporting lisbon manager that night?

A very good night, indeed
I wasnt aware of that connection until the great man passed away to the Angel's.
On top of all that ( statto mode)
Season 82/83 Aberdeen become ECWC winners and in 83 also became the first Scottish club to win 2 European trophies.
The best team in Europe at that time beating real Madrid in the final and Hamburg in the super cup final

I wasnt aware of that connection until the great man passed away to the Angel's.
On top of all that ( statto mode)
Season 82/83 Aberdeen become ECWC winners and in 83 also became the first Scottish club to win 2 European trophies.
The best team in Europe at that time beating real Madrid in the final and Hamburg in the super cup final
Aww Winter, man...........I know I'm being ultra pedantic, but I just can't be having this nonsense that a European Super Cup win entitles the sheep to just fling oot another star on their kit.

Absolutely no doubt that they earned the right to publicise their Cup Winners Cup win, but I can't be having the European Super Cup as a viable title.

That's like Buck trying to claim the Community Shield on his CV as a valid trophy.

Respect to the sheep as Hamburg were a decent side at the time, but I'd be a bit embarrassed if Celtic were ever to claim another European honour on account of beating only one team over two-legs.

As far as great Celtic games go, you absolutely nailed it with the Sporting Lisbon game, but my personal favourite was beating Juventus 4-3 in our first Champions League campaign. Didn't amount to nothing in the grand scheme of things and it certainly wasn't Juventus' strongest possible line-up, but Lubo and Big Sutty were unplayable that night and it was just a fantastic game of football that reminded me of why I love this sport so much.

We obviously missed out on the big games of the 60's and early 70's, mate - and I'd love to hear some of the slightly older guys take on that Leeds game at Hampden. My Old fella and his twin were there and every time I saw those two together, then that match would always get a mention. They both went to Milan with two other uncles for the final, but funnily enough - they never talked much about that one. When I asked my Da' about it, he said that he had just written Feyenoord off as a fluke team and that the only question was whether Celtic would pump them by 6 or 7. I guess Wim and his team-mates hadn't read the script for that one.

Aww Winter, man...........I know I'm being ultra pedantic, but I just can't be having this nonsense that a European Super Cup win entitles the sheep to just fling oot another star on their kit.

Absolutely no doubt that they earned the right to publicise their Cup Winners Cup win, but I can't be having the European Super Cup as a viable title.

That's like Buck trying to claim the Community Shield on his CV as a valid trophy.

Respect to the sheep as Hamburg were a decent side at the time, but I'd be a bit embarrassed if Celtic were ever to claim another European honour on account of beating only one team over two-legs.

As far as great Celtic games go, you absolutely nailed it with the Sporting Lisbon game, but my personal favourite was beating Juventus 4-3 in our first Champions League campaign. Didn't amount to nothing in the grand scheme of things and it certainly wasn't Juventus' strongest possible line-up, but Lubo and Big Sutty were unplayable that night and it was just a fantastic game of football that reminded me of why I love this sport so much.

We obviously missed out on the big games of the 60's and early 70's, mate - and I'd love to hear some of the slightly older guys take on that Leeds game at Hampden. My Old fella and his twin were there and every time I saw those two together, then that match would always get a mention. They both went to Milan with two other uncles for the final, but funnily enough - they never talked much about that one. When I asked my Da' about it, he said that he had just written Feyenoord off as a fluke team and that the only question was whether Celtic would pump them by 6 or 7. I guess Wim and his team-mates hadn't read the script for that one.
Dont know what you mean about older guys SP but I was at Hampden for the Leeds semi final 😂😂.

Twas the first time my feet never touched the ground on the way out it was that busy. 😅

They came up as the all conquering English champions, we sent them out and home to think again.

When will we see their likes again, probably not in my lifetime unless they actually make it a champions only cup again. 🙄

Dont know what you mean about older guys SP but I was at Hampden for the Leeds semi final 😂😂.

Twas the first time my feet never touched the ground on the way out it was that busy. 😅

They came up as the all conquering English champions, we sent them out and home to think again.

When will we see their likes again, probably not in my lifetime unless they actually make it a champions only cup again. 🙄
I remember standing at the game and being amazed how you could lift both feet off the ground without moving anywhere. The first leg down at Elland road was amazing as well 👍🇮🇪

Absolutely 50
I was at the game too and you're right when you say the atmosphere and the buzz in the crowd was like nothing I'd experienced nefore
When we left en masse, my feet never tocuhed the ground and I was swept along in the other direction from where I was going
When I got home that night, my Mother met me at the door and with tears in her eyes, she told me:
"You're going to Milan for the Final"
"I've been saving up, and your flight is getting booked tomorrow !!"
I never missed a home game that season and the memories of that game live with me even as I type
Even when we scored the winner, and I turned and hugged the person beside me, as bedlam was going on
The girl beside me (a stranger to me, and about my age (16-17) returned the hug and then we started winching, right there on the spot, teenage hormones swept up in the euphoria of the game...thank you Lisbon Lions, then the ref blew his whistle, back to reality, they kicked off, and and we finished watching the game, alas, never to see each other again, the crowd movement thing, (cue the Titanic music) :ROFLMAO:
I met Bobby Murdoch's wife and daughter 30 years later, and have great memories of that too
My all time favourite Celtic memory was that game
The 6-2 game was unbelievable
So many great games/memories, over the decades
'Mon the oldies'
YNWA

Me anaw, whit a game, first time I ever lost my voice at a match. sick as fk when bremner scored..

Don't remember much about a great game v Motherwell in 1972/73 the supporters bus arrived late after breaking down Celtic already 2-0 up ,decided to get a pie just before half time massive rumble above my head from the jungle 3-0 , making my way back another roar 4-0 , nearly 90 minutes heading for the exit 5-0 , gets home and my mum says must have been a great game today 5-0 , didn't tell her I never saw a goal , so it might have been the best game I never saw 🤣

The Centenary year Scottish Cup Semi Final v The Diets and then the Final v The Arabs. Celts a goal doon in both games then Scoring two late goals in both games when all looked lost.
🎶 Henry, Henry drop the ball, Henry drop the ball 🎶 Remember the song about Henry Smith goalkeeper for the Embra Huns?

Love Street 86 was spectacular too. Watched the 5-0 on You Tube recently. Celtic were outstanding with devastating attacking play esp 1st Half, Danny McGrain was still bombing forward in his twilight years. The roar that goes round Love Street when news came through about Kidds goal scared the shit oot o the StMirren keeper. That day I was at Dens for the Albert Kidd show. No one expected Celtic to win the league that day.
The Embra Huns were devastated that day. I’d never saw football have that effect on people. Still laughed at them though. All their buses had to pass us on our walk home and we were winding them up. Some were raging and some were too devastated to care.

Last edited:

Here ye go 50- a report by Alex Cameron the day after the ECSF v Leeds.
I posted it a few years ago.

In the press box high above the stand the unbelieving faces of the English sporting corps- here to report another English triumph on Scottish soil- were a sight to see. They were drawn and sad. Such a Celtic spectacular was not in their script.
Leeds played for a time like a machine. Billy Bremner scored a goal which bent, curved and spiralled away from Evan Williams, who didn't really have a direct shot to deal with until the 76th minute. Celtic almost always played better than Leeds. There was a spell after the 14th minute when it looked as if they might totter but this idea was quickly corrected.
The Celts had shaken off their Scottish Cup Final disappointment and went professionally about the job of winning the most important match of their 83 year history.
Leeds were shown a thing or two about football they hadn't encountered before. It would be ungenerous to say they were outclassed, but off-hand I can think of no other word.
Celtic were a team inspired, invincibles on the night. It is rare to see a side in which every player is on his best form. This was Celtic last night.
Bertie Auld was the mastermind. Never a bad pass. Running and decoying.
After a tackle on Mick Jones, Billy Bremner gestured and argued with Auld while the centre was given treatment. It was a flashpoint moment. Auld kept his temper and went on superbly. David Hay, Jim Brogan, Jimmy Johnstone and Billy McNeil....they were all tremendous. John Hughes scored splendidly, then missed in the last seconds what would have been another magnificent goal. Bobby Murdochs second goal for Celtic brought out the greatest Hampden roar of all time.
In many ways it was sad to see a team of Leeds calibre being pulled apart this way. But it was being done by Celtic and every Scot loved it.
It was a game reminiscent of the great Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt final at Hampden. It had all the refinements and players as great as , Di Stefano, Puskas and Del Sol. It also had this marvellous crowd from all over Scotland who wanted only a Celtic victory. With a fine touch of irony in the last minutes of the game a chant for Jock Stein grew into a tremendous crescendo. And it all began in the end where the Rangers fans usually stand at Hampden.
The Celtic players did a lap of honour. It was the final icing on this delicious soccer cake.
Thursday April 16th 1970 written by Alex Cameron

This is what the Stella Man Michael Duffy said about the Leeds game in the thread I posted that in,

Wiz in the hun end that night,cos it wiz covered! feck leed's, feck the battle of britain, it wiz no feckin contest!!!!!!! COYBIG!, allan wells coudnae have kept up wi me gaun hame through brigton cross that night! hun's at the gemm, HA!!!!!

The Centenary year Scottish Cup Semi Final v The Diets and then the Final v The Arabs. Celts a goal doon in both games then Scoring two late goals in both games when all looked lost.
🎶 Henry, Henry drop the ball, Henry drop the ball 🎶 Remember the song about Henry Smith goalkeeper for the Embra Huns?

Love Street 86 was spectacular too. Watched the 5-0 on You Tube recently. Celtic were outstanding with devastating attacking play esp 1st Half, Danny McGrain was still bombing forward in his twilight years. The roar that goes round Love Street, when news came through about Kidds goal, scared the shit oot o the StMirren keeper. That day I was at Dens for the Albert Kidd show. No one expected Celtic to win the league that day.
The Embra Huns were devastated that day. I’d never saw football have that effect on people. Still laughed at them though. All their buses had to pass us on our walk home and we were winding them up. Some were raging and some were too devastated to care.
Ma fav as well,,fractured ma skull that day,when Kidd scored a jumped up before the boys that were with us smacked ones chin,,,oan ma Napper,,,well worth it tho☘️☘️

Back