Great Celtic games

Here ye go 50- a report by Alex Cameron the day after the ECSF v Leeds.
I posted it a few years ago.

In the press box high above the stand the unbelieving faces of the English sporting corps- here to report another English triumph on Scottish soil- were a sight to see. They were drawn and sad. Such a Celtic spectacular was not in their script.
Leeds played for a time like a machine. Billy Bremner scored a goal which bent, curved and spiralled away from Evan Williams, who didn't really have a direct shot to deal with until the 76th minute. Celtic almost always played better than Leeds. There was a spell after the 14th minute when it looked as if they might totter but this idea was quickly corrected.
The Celts had shaken off their Scottish Cup Final disappointment and went professionally about the job of winning the most important match of their 83 year history.
Leeds were shown a thing or two about football they hadn't encountered before. It would be ungenerous to say they were outclassed, but off-hand I can think of no other word.
Celtic were a team inspired, invincibles on the night. It is rare to see a side in which every player is on his best form. This was Celtic last night.
Bertie Auld was the mastermind. Never a bad pass. Running and decoying.
After a tackle on Mick Jones, Billy Bremner gestured and argued with Auld while the centre was given treatment. It was a flashpoint moment. Auld kept his temper and went on superbly. David Hay, Jim Brogan, Jimmy Johnstone and Billy McNeil....they were all tremendous. John Hughes scored splendidly, then missed in the last seconds what would have been another magnificent goal. Bobby Murdochs second goal for Celtic brought out the greatest Hampden roar of all time.
In many ways it was sad to see a team of Leeds calibre being pulled apart this way. But it was being done by Celtic and every Scot loved it.
It was a game reminiscent of the great Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt final at Hampden. It had all the refinements and players as great as , Di Stefano, Puskas and Del Sol. It also had this marvellous crowd from all over Scotland who wanted only a Celtic victory. With a fine touch of irony in the last minutes of the game a chant for Jock Stein grew into a tremendous crescendo. And it all began in the end where the Rangers fans usually stand at Hampden.
The Celtic players did a lap of honour. It was the final icing on this delicious soccer cake.
Thursday April 16th 1970 written by Alex Cameron

This is what the Stella Man Michael Duffy said about the Leeds game in the thread I posted that in,

Wiz in the hun end that night,cos it wiz covered! feck leed's, feck the battle of britain, it wiz no feckin contest!!!!!!! COYBIG!, allan wells coudnae have kept up wi me gaun hame through brigton cross that night! hun's at the gemm, HA!!!!!
That is brilliant, thanks for posting that Richy, hadn't read Alex Cameron's report before
Michael and used to discuss, reminisce about the glorious victories we'd seen, and been a part of as supporters
We were both in the Hun end that night as we triumphed over the 'Mighty Leeds' who the English hacks thought would run over us
That game is embedded into the memory bank and every now and again, it comes to the fore and puts a wee smile on my face
I never got to meet Michael, but I know when we do meet again, that's the game we'll be takling about

My favourite game - ever.
Here is another 6-2 game Shammy. It’s from the Sunday Mail in 1938. There is a wee bit about the game written by a supporter of each team plus the match report of a 6-2 doing. Here is the wee bit written by a Celtic supporter. It includes his name and address!!! Imagine doing that now? The game was played 10/11/1938.

WHAT I THOUGHT OF MY TEAM, BY A CELTIC SUPPORTER- B F GLEN, 903 GOVAN ROAD, GLASGOW
So the Bhoys have done it again! Great stuff this Celtic!
Three successive victories over their biggest rivals is a mighty proud record.
To find words to praise my team would be like trying to paint-shall we say the Shamrock.
Poor old Gerry Dawson he must have been mesmerised. Our forwards were here, there, everywhere, dancing their way to success. They did the Lambeth Walk, while Rangers tune was the blues.
We won in a gallop; no one could say any different. Patterson was a dandy, I have never seen him play any better. Calumn McDonald was also brilliant and capped a good afternoons display by getting a hat-trick. Wasn't his third goal a beauty?
We mustn't forget Delaney, he was in tip top form, and as elusive as the scarlet pimpernel.
Bobby Hogg played hard enough but just didn't strike it. On the day Morrison was the better back. Willie Lyon was his usual reliable self, and Joe Kennaway couldn't have been better. What a goalkeeper!
We certainly outplayed them in the first half and deserved the three goal lead at the interval. They played as a team and that was the secret of their success!
Celts weren't so good in the first quarter of an hour in the second half, during which time they lost two goals; but after that they pulled up their socks and showed them what for.
It was a well spent Bob. Attaboy Celtic

Try as I may, it's with the greatest of pleasure that I say I find it impossible to narrow my answer down to one particular game. As someone approaching his 74th birthday come Bastile day ( 14th July ) I can relate to all of the posts from you good folk. Consider this...THREE European Finals. Big Billy's goal back in '65 against The Pars in the Scottish Cup Final, ( I still have the black and white photo of him soaring above everyone. ) Beating THEM 4-0 at Hamden again in the Scottish Cup Final. That was the game George Connelly dispossessed a certain John Greig and nonchalantly placed the ball in the net. A Glagow cup game at Ibrox. Glasgow cup you're asking ? Aye, but the buzzbomb helped himself to a hat trick. Doesn't happen too often.

Vojvodina ? Big Billy again with a last gasp winner . Could go on all week with this thread and still not be able to pick one above all others. Perhaps for reasons of sentiment, the semi final against Leeds United in 1970 deserves a mention. It was one of only two games I watched with my father. He wasn't that interested if football; his life was his music and his family. The other game I watched with him was Celtic v Benfica in Paradise. He only went because he wanted to see Eusebio. As I say, I could go on at length, but I would only be indulging myself. Wonderful memories; and I'm not finished yet. From time to time The Noise comes into its own and unites us as one; this thread is a perfect example of that.

Try as I may, it's with the greatest of pleasure that I say I find it impossible to narrow my answer down to one particular game. As someone approaching his 74th birthday come Bastile day ( 14th July ) I can relate to all of the posts from you good folk. Consider this...THREE European Finals. Big Billy's goal back in '65 against The Pars in the Scottish Cup Final, ( I still have the black and white photo of him soaring above everyone. ) Beating THEM 4-0 at Hamden again in the Scottish Cup Final. That was the game George Connelly dispossessed a certain John Greig and nonchalantly placed the ball in the net. A Glagow cup game at Ibrox. Glasgow cup you're asking ? Aye, but the buzzbomb helped himself to a hat trick. Doesn't happen too often.

Vojvodina ? Big Billy again with a last gasp winner . Could go on all week with this thread and still not be able to pick one above all others. Perhaps for reasons of sentiment, the semi final against Leeds United in 1970 deserves a mention. It was one of only two games I watched with my father. He wasn't that interested if football; his life was his music and his family. The other game I watched with him was Celtic v Benfica in Paradise. He only went because he wanted to see Eusebio. As I say, I could go on at length, but I would only be indulging myself. Wonderful memories; and I'm not finished yet. From time to time The Noise comes into its own and unites us as one; this thread is a perfect example of that.
That reminds me, I was at the Benfica game with my Dad and his friend, as always I got perched on one of the many barriers, at one point in the first half my dad's mate produced a flask with hot coffee in it and poured himself and my Da one each, he then asked me to hold his cup as his lace needed tying, so being a wee bold Glesga bhoy I thought I'm having some of this and proceed to take a gulp of it, but as football fans tended to do there was more than hot coffee in it it was at best 50% coffee and 50% brandy which caused me to spit it out over a few fans in front of me 😳😳😂, although I was practically choking my dad's mate was more concerned about me spilling the rest of the cup. 😂😂

Still we won 3 nothing and I got to see the greatest Portuguese player ever in Eusebio.

That reminds me, I was at the Benfica game with my Dad and his friend, as always I got perched on one of the many barriers, at one point in the first half my dad's mate produced a flask with hot coffee in it and poured himself and my Da one each, he then asked me to hold his cup as his lace needed tying, so being a wee bold Glesga bhoy I thought I'm having some of this and proceed to take a gulp of it, but as football fans tended to do there was more than hot coffee in it it was at best 50% coffee and 50% brandy which caused me to spit it out over a few fans in front of me 😳😳😂, although I was practically choking my dad's mate was more concerned about me spilling the rest of the cup. 😂😂

Still we won 3 nothing and I got to see the greatest Portuguese player ever in Eusebio.
And of course, we lost the return 3-0 and went through on the toss if a coin . Billy guessed correctly.

Twice, he was asked by the ref to call to see who would get the make the decisive call and he correctly called both times.
See this coin toss thing to decide the outcome of huge matches.........that pure boggles my noggin????

Can't say I care too much for penalties either though.

During the Winter Olympics, I was watching the ice hockey there and when they go into extra time they whip a couple of players aff the ice and play 3-on-3 (when I say whip, I don't mean like what I do in the basement of my shed or what I do with cream........ah, scrub that - I'm overexplaining again).

Imagine going doon to 7/8 a-side in extra time and just letting it come down to who has the better players?

Albert Kidd the Mars bar man The faces oan the Hearts Men at the Glen on the Tuesday we returned to work the poly bags klinking Bottles of Vodi Whisky and Even Bacardi the canteen woman How many Mars bars Jesus we’ve only got 3 Boxes
The Excuses St Mirren lay doon. Even to this day they still go on about the Saints lying doon.
That Team with oor Danny McGrain the best Right back ever imo World Class
The 6-2 game the comment by Provan
Ferguson is the Nearest and he’s 3 yards away Larsson. Then the Lob An Orgasm of a goal sheer Genius.
The Recent ones the pumpings at the piggery Lustigs weaving goal Moussa perfect Hat trick. All joys
But seeing wee Jinky and Lubo play was
Suecuntinperb

HH 🍀

See this coin toss thing to decide the outcome of huge matches.........that pure boggles my noggin????

During the Winter Olympics, I was watching the ice hockey there and when they go into extra time they whip a couple of players aff the ice and play 3-on-3 (when I say whip, I don't mean like what I do in the basement of my shed or what I do with cream........ah, scrub that - I'm overexplaining again).

Imagine going doon to 7/8 a-side in extra time and just letting it come down to who has the better players?
Wow you have a basement in your shed
How very Fritz of yi ma sheds shit compared to yours SP

HH 😂

I’m sure Deidco went oot on a coin toss. Then someone remembered the away goals rule had been introduced and Deidco went through.
Not sure when or who though.
Richy, it was the same year they went onto to demolish the beautiful city of Barcelona for the first time (I mean win the Cup Winners Cup).

They were actually defeated on penalties which had been introduced rather than a coin toss. They were against Sporting Lisbon and had to go to extra time after losing 3-2 there after a 3-2 win at Ibrokes. Both sides scored and the ref took it to penalties because it was a 6-6 tie. Three of the first four Deadco players missed (Davie Smith twice, after his was ordered to be retaken) and Sporting scored their first 4 penalties.

After the game - and with Sporting celebrating a famous win - the journalist John Fairgrieve pointed out to Waddell that the ref had made a mistake because away goals counted double in extra time as well. It took a while for Waddell to find the appropriate UEFA official to complain and so many of the next day's papers actually reported that they had been knocked out and Sporting would be playing Torino in the next round.

Next goal's the winner. Just like up the park wi' yer mates on a Sunday/summer night.

" Can't say I care too much for penalties either though"...Straight from wee Dixie's book of quotes!

Members online

Latest posts

Back