Has anyone come close??

Ive only ever seen clips like above such is my youthfulness.
From what I've seen though I'd have to say no.
Di Canio was a great dribbler and carrier of the ball but in all honesty the way jinky leaves players for dead is breathtaking to see.
Even sides doubling, trebling up on him couldnt contain him.
The greatest Celts I've ever seen are obviously Henrik Larsson , Tommy Burns, Danny McGrain.
Even the king of kings I'm sure would bow his head to jinky.
Honestly the only player in my mind that can be uttered in the same sentence is Messi

But because he was a Celtic player only got a paltry 23 or so Scotland caps, one of the truly world class players Scotland has produced, shocking, and people ask on here why there was an indifference to Scottish games…..😡

When people talk of true legends of the game....you hear Maradonna, Pele, Eusébio and Best mentioned all the time. I believe Jinky should always be on that list but you rarely hear it. Why is that??
Was it due to the lack of international games? Or has scottish football always been looked down on....it doesn't make sense to me. He was a star in one of the greatest teams every produced in world football.

Seen Jimmy play loads of times, on his game he was magical, every young Celtic supporter of that era pretended to be Jimmy when kicking a can round the back close.
And like all greats he seemed to produce on the big stage which of course everyone remembers, but there was occasionally a run of games when it just wouldn't work for Jimmy but he never chucked it he would always show for the ball be it against thistle or the deady bears, if it wasn't working he rarely gave up, and the fans would voice their thoughts as they were entitled to do, but I'm sure we all knew that next week he would be on his game again.

So imho whilst we have since had wingers who could dribble or players who could win us a game with a great pass or goal, we haven't seen anyone who consistently done both, maybe Dalglish had the pass or goal in him but very rarely could dribble, Henke was the same although he could carry the ball when needed.

Paddy McCourt was the nearest I seen to Jinky for dribbling but never often enough to be near Jinky in all honesty.

Lubo would have been close to him were we lucky enough to have had him earlier in his career.

Really no one would match Jinky but imho one or two of the above might have been close.

Very hard to make such a comparison when the game has changed so much over the years.
Never had the joy of watching Jinky but such a player wouldn't have had to showcase such skills within the game today as they would be possibly coached out of them sadly.
The modern wide player is more about the timing of the run, with the pass used to take the players out of the game moreso than the individual skills involved.
Saying that Jota has already become a player that can excite so much within the modern game and certainly a player I hope to see plenty more of.
Mikey Johnson is possibly one of the closest players that a modern comparison could be made, yet without any end product as such makes him a very poor comparison as such, which is a very harsh tag to apply to Mikey when comparing him to a genius with what Jinky could do with a football at his feet

watch In awe for years as he lit up Celtic Park.I then had the pleasure of sitting beside him at a sports night.I reminded him of delivering stuff to his next door neighbor John Delaney in Tannochside.Handed in some stuff next door as well (chicken and mince pies Halls of Broxburn).He said are you that arse with the Blue n white van and big Union Jack on it😂.I bought him a drink and chatted all night a terrific guy sadly missed.I met most of the players at our player of the year night,even danced with Danny Mcgrain,s wife Lorraine he danced with my wife and I warned him not to kick her.I won,t tell you his answer.Aye great days and lots of great players Hail Hail.👍☘️

Question for all fans but probably answered better by the ones who saw him play. Has anyone ever come close to Jinky, at Celtic, who has played the same position over the years.

I would have loved to have seen him play.

Enjoy!!!

Never or we would have witnessed it, for those who witnessed the best player voted ever, then that should answer it. No-one could compare as today their is no wee boy growing up playing footbal with rolled up socks going round milk bottles in their hall and balancing railing walks. Johnstone learned the art of control and balance by doing natural things like all kids of the street era did as a means of escapism and unwittingly honing skills that no man could teach.

Members online

Latest posts

Back