Head of Sports Science leaves Celtic.

Got to be honest, Brim........not sure if sports scientists or sports psychologists are absolutely necessary on a permanent basis.

I don't doubt for a second that there are certain individual players who would benefit from one-to-one sessions, but I feel that would be more their own personal responsibility, rather than the club paying out good money for someone who may or may not be an absolute requirement.

Mind I'm an older fella though and that I don't fully subscribe to the modern world (especially in sport), so a lot of this new-fangled way of doing things leaves me a bit cold.

I hope it is a sign that Ange is exploring the areas that need change though. He has to trust his sidekicks and staff and not just go on a wing and a prayer then leave it to luck.
Totally disagree with ye here bigman.
Sport is made up of 50% ability and 50% mental. Psychology is and always has been a massive part of the game. All the great managers used it from Lombardi, wooden, clough and Stein. It's just that they had their way of doin it. Its left to proffessionals now.
I use it coaching children and there's no such thing as someone being too stupid. Just because someone thinks a question sounds stupid doesn't mean it's stupid to the person who asked it. Everyone learns at a different rate, it's up to the psychologist to to recognise that and use it to their advantage.
I'll give you an example of how psychology can work.
A well known county Gaelic footballer who was the free taker for the team went from over 90% accuracy to less than 20%.
When he played underage his stats were off the scale. He went to a psychologist and was asked what he was doing differently from when he was younger. After a while he embarrassingly admitted that when he was lining up the free kick he would sing a song in his head. He had stopped this because he thought it was childish. The song was we built this city on rock n roll.
The psychologist made him go back to his routine when he was a child and low and behold his scoring stats went up to almost 100% accuracy.
Ronan O'Gara, Johnny sexton Johnny Wilkinson All these lads are massively into psychology.

Sport is made up of 50% ability and 50% mental. Psychology is and always has been a massive part of the game. All the great managers used it from Lombardi, wooden, clough and Stein. It's just that they had their way of doin it. Its left to proffessionals now.
I use it coaching children and there's no such thing as someone being too stupid. Just because someone thinks a question sounds stupid doesn't mean it's stupid to the person who asked it. Everyone learns at a different rate, it's up to the psychologist to to recognise that and use it to their advantage.
A well known county Gaelic footballer who was the free taker for the team went from over 90% accuracy to less than 20%.
When he played underage his stats were off the scale. He went to a psychologist and was asked what he was doing differently from when he was younger. After a while he embarrassingly admitted that when he was lining up the free kick he would sing a song in his head. He had stopped this because he thought it was childish. The song was we built this city on rock n roll.
The psychologist made him go back to his routine when he was a child and low and behold his scoring stats went up to almost 100% accuracy.
Ronan O'Gara, Johnny sexton Johnny Wilkinson All these lads are massively into psychology.
That's actually the point I was trying to make ultimately, D.

Psychology still has a stigma attached to it, but there are genuine psychologists who don't need a doctorate or letters after their name who can and will employ its use in more subtle ways.

I will never discard the mental and emotional part of the game, and that applies to any sport; however - I do believe you can stigmatise certain players by making that psychology 'legit' by introducing them to certain 'experts'.

Science, modern or traditional, is a valuable trait. It's not the application I have an issue with, it's with who's applying it that concerns me.

I wouldn't really want a midwife advising me if she's never been pumped.

I'm probably going to get hammered for this, but hey-ho, in for a penny........

The greatest sports psychologist I've ever met was Wattie Smith when he was at Tannadice.

There was a man who could 'read the room'.

It was no surprise that the Geordie arsehole turned up for the huns, because Mr Dignity had that way about him. He instinctively knew how to get the best out of folk and make them feel 10-foot tall and he also knew how to burst an ego when it needed it too.

I apologise for that, but I actually love and admire the man!

The greatest sports psychologist I've ever met was Wattie Smith when he was at Tannadice.

It was no surprise that the Geordie arsehole turned up for the huns, because Mr Dignity had that way about him. He instinctively knew how to get the best out of folk and make them feel 10-foot tall and he also knew how to burst an ego when it needed it too.

🔨 Ready knives 🔪 oooot. 🎯 waiting
Fire 🔥
Hide hide hide or Dee

HH 😱

D, another really interesting part of that (brilliant) post can be found in the Gaelic and Rugby analogies.

In spite of their reputations, Gaelic and Rugby players are intelligent by design. If you can't play 4-D chess in Gaelic then you're going to get hurt........badly!!!

The three rugby players you cited are all centres with kicking responsibilities. All 3 are 'off the scale' intellectually and their problems lie in overthinking things.

They are all the ideal 'subjects' for individual sports psychology, especially in finding that diversion to distract from the importance of a penalty or drop goal.

The musical diversion is the most effective, especially for finding your pattern.

Probably agree with you mate, he is the closest thing to big jock they had over there, held in high esteem by all who know him, spoke to him once, told him I was a fan of the Celtic, didn’t make any difference to him, seeing him at Tommy burns funeral and the compassion and dignity he had shown speak volumes for the man, it’s to his great credit that various ibrox boards have tried to get him to come out and support them, but he knows a chancer when he sees one, and has stayed away for the most part of the hun collapse

Aye but you thought bbj, Henrik and Sutty were gash, so I'm gonna put that last post in the same category. 🤣

Probably agree with you mate, he is the closest thing to big jock they had over there, held in high esteem by all who know him, spoke to him once, told him I was a fan of the Celtic, didn’t make any difference to him, seeing him at Tommy burns funeral and the compassion and dignity he had shown speak volumes for the man, it’s to his great credit that various ibrox boards have tried to get him to come out and support them, but he knows a chancer when he sees one, and has stayed away for the most part of the hun collapse
Hahahahahaha I didn't know he was a hun until I turned up for training in 1983 wearing my short, short replica Umbro satiny Celtic shorts.

A shitstorm came my way for that!!!

Here's the measure of a man, Jam

The last time I spoke to Wattie was in 1985 and then two-years ago, he sent me a get well soon card.

That's pretty classy
To be fair tongue-in-cheek the true measure of a person is found in there compassion he showed true class and dignity to oor Tommy Burns. His grief for his friend was a true Testament to his undoubted character
Spherical and to yours

HH 👏

Here's the measure of a man, Jam

The last time I spoke to Wattie was in 1985 and then two-years ago, he sent me a get well soon card.

That's pretty classy
True but we’re you ILL from 85 to 2019
That’s some Doacters line bud ah’m struggling to get one till Monday the 5th o July. I’ve got another 14th case of Pneumonia in 2 years. I’ve never smoked nor have I ever tried one but I’ve got the Chest of a 60 a day asbestos worker who worked doon the hole 🕳. But apart from that I’m as fit as Lee Griffiths on intravenous Tunnochs tea cakes.
Just trying to get through today as the mourns a bastard day for me and the family a year from ma DA’s passing. Miss him badly.
HH Bobby D Husband Father Grunda the best of us

HH 🙏

That’s some Doacters line bud ah’m struggling to get one till Monday the 5th o July. I’ve got another 14th case of Pneumonia in 2 years. I’ve never smoked nor have I ever tried one but I’ve got the Chest of a 60 a day asbestos worker who worked doon the hole 🕳. But apart from that I’m as fit as Lee Griffiths on intravenous Tunnochs tea cakes.
Just trying to get through today as the mourns a bastard day for me and the family a year from ma DA’s passing. Miss him badly.

HH 🙏
The 1st anniversaries are the worse, R.I.P, your Dad. hail hail YNWA.

HH 🙏
Mon the Cabbage

HH 🙏
Thinking of you and your family tomorrow. Best wishes.

Back