How do you feel about Major League Soccer?

Any successful league needs an element of jeopardy, so until there is a pyramid system involving some form of promotion/relegation, then it doesn't necessarily have the high stakes of European football.

In saying that, the standard is decent and they now have an infrastructure in place to develop young players through the collegiate system.

At some point, the stars will align and the USA will have a team that will genuinely compete at the deep end of major tournaments.

Celtic can do a lot worse than invest in US soccer, maybe with a club in the level below MLS. Boston can do with a bit more of a football presence and there is an already made audience there.

There would be a lot for Celtic to invest in here, not only in a scouting system for the MLS (I am sure that already exists) to a team, like SP suggests (although if you call them Celtic in Boston, you will have lawyers from the NBA team at your door from day one, sadly).

If memory serves, and it doesn't as much as it used to, there was a Celtic guy who is now president of the United Soccer League in the U.S., which has a tiered system where clubs can advance up and down like in Europe. Celtic's Manny Perez, who played for North Carolina State University, now plays for the USL team in Charlotte, North Carolina, I think.

My hope is that Gutman can cut his teeth at Cincinnati and come back to Celtic someday. I think he has potential.

Been to a couple of Earthquakes games (I live about 20 miles west of San Jose), and both the Seattle and Portland MLS franchises have the "ultra" thing down pat (he says, with a tinge of jealousy). San Jose, not so much, and they lost again today which is nothing new. I kind of like the Portland Timbers Army, which sings "Bella Ciao" in the 80-something minute of each game.

California here, Broony. Where are you?

Historically, the North American Soccer League of the '70s and '80s was a final payday for a lot of world-class players set to retire. Pele, Beckenbauer, and Chinaglia played for Cosmos, Gordon Banks for Fort Lauderdale, and even Harry Hood and Jinky playing for San Antonio and San Jose respectively. I think NASL failed because they tried to grow too fast to quickly, but you still see remnants of the league in pro soccer here (The Earthquakes are one of several former NASL teams now in the MLS).

There's a better environment here now for growth, with the men's and women's international teams doing much better (especially the women!), and while I think the MLS is doing well, I think the future lies with the USL, since it's bringing the game in its Division 1 and 2 leagues to areas with smaller populations than the big cities. Also, some MLS clubs have development teams in the USL (for example, LA Galaxy has a LA Galaxy 2 team competing in the USL), so it appears the leagues are working together, and that can only be a plus.

There is definitely a future Messi, Ronaldo or Broony now playing here, and I think the system between the MLS and the USL is a good recipe for success. Now if the Quakes can do better (I am kidding -- they are fourth and still in the running for a playoff spot) . . .

I'm in Central Florida, so I support the Orlando City Lions when I can get over there. I agree that a system of relegation should be in place here and in more than just the one sport. I hope the leagues can come together as you say and work something out. We have gone beyond just a place to play on plastic grass and earn a nice nest egg. Rooney's real efforts at D.C. United show that maybe the tide is changing on the celebrity player front. Then again maybe Rooney just really loves his football.

Historically, the North American Soccer League of the '70s and '80s was a final payday for a lot of world-class players set to retire. Pele, Beckenbauer, and Chinaglia played for Cosmos, Gordon Banks for Fort Lauderdale, and even Harry Hood and Jinky playing for San Antonio and San Jose respectively. I think NASL failed because they tried to grow too fast to quickly, but you still see remnants of the league in pro soccer here (The Earthquakes are one of several former NASL teams now in the MLS).

There's a better environment here now for growth, with the men's and women's international teams doing much better (especially the women!), and while I think the MLS is doing well, I think the future lies with the USL, since it's bringing the game in its Division 1 and 2 leagues to areas with smaller populations than the big cities. Also, some MLS clubs have development teams in the USL (for example, LA Galaxy has a LA Galaxy 2 team competing in the USL), so it appears the leagues are working together, and that can only be a plus.

There is definitely a future Messi, Ronaldo or Broony now playing here, and I think the system between the MLS and the USL is a good recipe for success. Now if the Quakes can do better (I am kidding -- they are fourth and still in the running for a playoff spot) . . .
I see a time in the not too distant future where the different federations will attempt to develop some form of World Champions League.

The international tournaments are now coalescing into the two-year/4-year cycles and there are gaps in the off-year cycle to have some type of world club competition similar in format to the World Cup.

The appetite for football in Asia, North America and Australasia is growing; however - they still tend to rely on European football for their club affiliations. If a US club(s) were competing in a fully-fledged tournament with the giants of Europe and South America, I think that would prove a huge draw for American audiences and give the game in America a turbo boost.

The big European clubs are hijacking the ECL and holding it to ransom, at some point the bluff will be called by either the elite clubs or UEFA and that will lead to a key change in club football throughout the world.

I'm in Central Florida, so I support the Orlando City Lions when I can get over there. I agree that a system of relegation should be in place here and in more than just the one sport. I hope the leagues can come together as you say and work something out. We have gone beyond just a place to play on plastic grass and earn a nice nest egg. Rooney's real efforts at D.C. United show that maybe the tide is changing on the celebrity player front. Then again maybe Rooney just really loves his football.

Yeah, it's not beyond reason for MLS and USL to come together at some point, but for now it looks like they're working in tandem pretty well.

Part of the Lion Nation, eh? Nice! :D

I see Rooney is heading back to England. Good for him.

[BTW, I grew up in South Florida and my brother now lives in Debary. Small world. :)]

Always classed the US as the sleeping Giant of world football. So much potential with the sports facilities available to kids in the better school/college systems. Its a slow burner though with most of the young boys following home grown sports.
I can't see football knocking American football, basketball, baseball off the perch anytime soon.
If America really takes football seriously then within a generation they will be able to make a serious mark.

Always classed the US as the sleeping Giant of world football. So much potential with the sports facilities available to kids in the better school/college systems. Its a slow burner though with most of the young boys following home grown sports.
I can't see football knocking American football, basketball, baseball off the perch anytime soon.
If America really takes football seriously then within a generation they will be able to make a serious mark.
Could not agree more, BBB.........the fact that sport plays such a significant part in a young person's development in the States is a big advantage they have, but imagine the potential if they can harness the young athletes in the inner-cities and urban developments?

Imagine a 20-on-20 with backie-in keepers in the Bronx or Harlem, all they need is a patch of land, a ba' and plenty of enthusiasm.

I still think that "soccer" is seen as a white middle-class, or Hispanic/Latino game in the States.

Once the black kids are invited to the party, then the potential is limitless.

The population diversity means they could produce every kind of athlete in any shape or form. I'm always amazed by the nba guys especially some of the black athletes. I wondered what would happen if these guys chose football instead at a young age? For the size of these guys the speed, agility, technical ability is truly frightening added to the sheer power and strenght. The big guys in football over here are pidgeon holed as defenders.

The population diversity means they could produce every kind of athlete in any shape or form. I'm always amazed by the nba guys especially some of the black athletes. I wondered what would happen if these guys chose football instead at a young age? For the size of these guys the speed, agility, technical ability is truly frightening added to the sheer power and strenght. The big guys in football over here are pidgeon holed as defenders.
A lot of those are transferable skills too, BBB. Even if the boys don't quite cut it in their sport of choice, football could be a feasible second or third option for them.

Yeah, it's not beyond reason for MLS and USL to come together at some point, but for now it looks like they're working in tandem pretty well.

Part of the Lion Nation, eh? Nice! :D

I see Rooney is heading back to England. Good for him.

[BTW, I grew up in South Florida and my brother now lives in Debary. Small world. :)]
Good old South Florida. My family used to visit Ft. Lauderdale all the time.

I think it takes real guts for Rooney to go back. He already has more money than he needs and he could just retire. With old players being thrown into top spots the way they are it seems like a smart move to go to Derby. They are more likely to give him three years to settle in as a player/coach than the usual carousel.

There would be a lot for Celtic to invest in here, not only in a scouting system for the MLS (I am sure that already exists) to a team, like SP suggests (although if you call them Celtic in Boston, you will have lawyers from the NBA team at your door from day one, sadly).

If memory serves, and it doesn't as much as it used to, there was a Celtic guy who is now president of the United Soccer League in the U.S., which has a tiered system where clubs can advance up and down like in Europe. Celtic's Manny Perez, who played for North Carolina State University, now plays for the USL team in Charlotte, North Carolina, I think.

My hope is that Gutman can cut his teeth at Cincinnati and come back to Celtic someday. I think he has potential.

Been to a couple of Earthquakes games (I live about 20 miles west of San Jose), and both the Seattle and Portland MLS franchises have the "ultra" thing down pat (he says, with a tinge of jealousy). San Jose, not so much, and they lost again today which is nothing new. I kind of like the Portland Timbers Army, which sings "Bella Ciao" in the 80-something minute of each game.

California here, Broony. Where are you?
Wonder if they chanted pie mucher when Boyd played for them ?

Back