How John Barnes lost the opportunity for a genuine discussion on unconscious bias

How John Barnes lost the opportunity for a genuine discussion on unconscious bias...article from Niall J

View attachment 9862
What a insightful article. And I just read it on a football website! Wow. Thanks Niall (& David).

The Star's wide-range of fantastic articles from early days history, amazing fan's experiences and up-to-date anti-clickbait writing from a variety of top notch writers is just brilliant. A website like no other.

What a insightful article. And I just read it on a football website! Wow. Thanks Niall (& David).

The Star's wide-range of fantastic articles from early days history, amazing fan's experiences and up-to-date anti-clickbait writing from a variety of top notch writers is just brilliant. A website like no other.

Thanks, that made my day!

Thank you Imatim really appreciate that. Very kind (y)

John Barnes stating a black manager who is failing is sacked quicker than a white manager, ffs, what planet is he on, is he stating his employers are racist when they sack him, if this is the case why then would they employ a black man. He was shite at his job.

Celtic were not out looking for a black manager to balance or tick some box, he was welcomed with open arms and sacked for been shite. He was also recommended by
Kenny Dalglish and Kenny Dlaglish has to shoulder some of the blame for he appointed and recommended a rookie manager and Celtic found out quickly after a bad run of games that John Barnes is not cutting it, all his teams after Celtic he was shite in the management role. its a point driven business and this is the difference in football points can liquidate your club or force them down the tables to obscurity.

Listen to how Ronny Deila talks about Celtic, he states when the pressure got tough Celtic is a massive club with massive demands, Ronny left with respect and the blessing of the fans, he left a winner, but not the type to take Celtic at a higher level.

Celtic and their recruitment policy places no barrier on skin colour, a persons religion gender or race. John Barnes has a bee in his bonnet and failed in his management career, a great player but great players does not automatically qualify as great manager.

Blacks do not he states even in businesses or life reach the top. One of the greatest Presidents ever in the world. No higher position than this in the world and a role he carried out two terms, 2009 to 2017.

Untitled.jpg

Jesus man Paul Elliot giving it no diversity in the boardroom etc. Try no fucking working class people of all colour in the boardroom, try almost every fucking footballer is fucking related to someone in the game and has been taken in. Redknapp, Lampard, Cloughs, wright Ferdinand Stubbs etc go through most players even in Scotland either their brother plated the game or father, Grants, Hendersons, McGinns, McStays, Flecks, wake the fuck up, the game is rigged for the benefit of people in the game already, if you have someone in the game you have more chance of earning in football than some wee guy from a working class background with no access to the training camps or contacts.

Jesus man Paul Elliot giving it no diversity in the boardroom etc. Try no fucking working class people of all colour in the boardroom, try almost every fucking footballer is fucking related to someone in the game and has been taken in. Redknapp, Lampard, Cloughs, wright Ferdinand Stubbs etc go through most players even in Scotland either their brother plated the game or father, Grants, Hendersons, McGinns, McStays, Flecks, wake the fuck up, the game is rigged for the benefit of people in the game already, if you have someone in the game you have more chance of earning in football than some wee guy from a working class background with no access to the training camps or contacts.
I absolutely believe racism plays a part in denying opportunity but I certainly agree opportunity isn't afforded in all walks of life due to a working class backgrounds also. Football I'm not convinced struggled with this historically but its become an expensive game to break into these days with the advent of academies and the like. There has been a move akin to tennis to a more middle class and away from working class roots. Contacts and money seem the name of the game for kids to access proper coaching and thats certainly not just down to racism thats for sure.

I absolutely believe racism plays a part in denying opportunity but I certainly agree opportunity isn't afforded in all walks of life due to a working class backgrounds also. Football I'm not convinced struggled with this historically but its become an expensive game to break into these days with the advent of academies and the like. There has been a move akin to tennis to a more middle class and away from working class roots. Contacts and money seem the name of the game for kids to access proper coaching and thats certainly not just down to racism thats for sure.

Niall i ran a youth football club and was slowly forced to call a halt when in came the nedd for Insurance and a PSV licence for mini bus hire driving due to the team been passengers. Facilities went private and prices rose requiring membership to use pitches, astro turf led to less pitches, ref fees rose and basically it became impossible to run. The demise in football at working class and deprived areas is evident today, can be over Ā£100 to get a meaningless game organised, a game that is basically nothing more than to keep kids fit, active and promote the game.

Niall i ran a youth football club and was slowly forced to call a halt when in came the nedd for Insurance and a PSV licence for mini bus hire driving due to the team been passengers. Facilities went private and prices rose requiring membership to use pitches, astro turf led to less pitches, ref fees rose and basically it became impossible to run. The demise in football at working class and deprived areas is evident today, can be over Ā£100 to get a meaningless game organised, a game that is basically nothing more than to keep kids fit, active and promote the game.

Used to play for a team in easterhouse. Guy who ran it gave up his own time to give the kids from drummy something to do. We played on the school pitch until the school locked the gates and said they wanted money for us to play there....only lasted a few months as he just couldnt fund the team and got no help. Back to the Bucky and gang fighting for us.
Now I'm not for a second saying that my friends or I have had the same struggles as the black youth in Britain, I can only speak from my own experience but i believe it's not just a race issue, its down to your class and where you come from. I was stopped and searched by the same police officers every single day when I left school at hometime. They would wait and lochend shops for me. I'd get home from playing fifa with my mates to my mum going nuts at the fact that she had to take me to the police station to be interviewed for something the cunts knew I hadn't done. This happened to us all. Coming from easterhouse, we weren't expected to achieve anything. Ofcourse the colour of our skin didnt hinder us. but still now, when I speak to other scottish people down south, and I tell them I'm from easterhouse I get the odd jokey comment about "dont stab me"...I've even had arguments with stuck up Scottish twats who have sat and told their english mates that I'm from the scummy part of scotland.

That is pretty enlightening Boab. Been a long time since I played and my lad so far only plays little kickers, which is indoors but isn't too expensive. Safe to say it is predominately middle class kids there too as it is a private enterprise that runs it and I pay a monthly direct debit.
I hadn't realised that effect was at that level too but when you show those examples it's a big concern. I used to play for various boys clubs and don't remember my old boy having to spend much more than for boots. No wonder our country stopped producing players if the costs are as prohibitive as that

Used to play for a team in easterhouse. Guy who ran it gave up his own time to give the kids from drummy something to do. We played on the school pitch until the school locked the gates and said they wanted money for us to play there....only lasted a few months as he just couldnt fund the team and got no help. Back to the Bucky and gang fighting for us.
Now I'm not for a second saying that my friends or I have had the same struggles as the black youth in Britain, I can only speak from my own experience but i believe it's not just a race issue, its down to your class and where you come from. I was stopped and searched by the same police officers every single day when I left school at hometime. They would wait and lochend shops for me. I'd get home from playing fifa with my mates to my mum going nuts at the fact that she had to take me to the police station to be interviewed for something the cunts knew I hadn't done. This happened to us all. Coming from easterhouse, we weren't expected to achieve anything. Ofcourse the colour of our skin didnt hinder us. but still now, when I speak to other scottish people down south, and I tell them I'm from easterhouse I get the odd jokey comment about "dont stab me"...I've even had arguments with stuck up Scottish twats who have sat and told their english mates that I'm from the scummy part of scotland.
I played with an Aberdeen supporters club briefly when I lived in London. I can relate to that Lubo. They didn't think much of Bellshill either.

You tend to find Scots folk who move down south become absolute twats there the same the world over

I played with an Aberdeen supporters club briefly when I lived in London. I can relate to that Lubo. They didn't think much of Bellshill either.
Crazy to think that the ones who turn their nose up at and poke fun of were certain indivinduals hail from would not have a famous team to follow had Walfrid turned his nose up at the very same type of people who hailed from those areas and who have made famous the club that they follow.

Members online

Latest posts

Back