Is anyone else struggling due to COVID

Torrancetim

Baring my soul here , COVID has devastated my family , I have lost my job , my son has lost his job , my wife on furlough for 6 months now , I am really finding this hard , going from being comfortable to being on my arse , never experienced anything like this in my life , financially ok for now , but will not last forever , people have lost loved family , I have not , I pray for them , but is anyone else struggling , maybe just me , to many beers tonight
Sorry for rant

Baring my soul here , COVID has devastated my family , I have lost my job , my son has lost his job , my wife on furlough for 6 months now , I am really finding this hard , going from being comfortable to being on my arse , never experienced anything like this in my life , financially ok for now , but will not last forever , people have lost loved family , I have not , I pray for them , but is anyone else struggling , maybe just me , to many beers tonight
Sorry for rant
I'm sorry to read this Torrancetim. Sadly there will be far too many hardworking people like yourself who will lose their livelihoods through no fault of their own. It is truly awful.

I don't have any words that will make magically make everything alright for you and your family. But please be reassured that we are all here to listen to you and provide support when you need it. Hopefully you and your son find new jobs as soon as possible. Hopefully 2021 will be a much better year for everyone. We can only appreciate the positives things we have in our lives.

Good luck and take care. HH. 💚

Last edited:
I'm sorry to read this Torrancetim. Sadly there will be far too many hardworking people like yourself who will lose their livelihoods through no fault of their own. It is truly awful.

I don't have any words that will make magically make everything alright for you and your family. But please be reassured that we are all here to listen to you and provide support when you need it. Hopefully you and your son find new jobs as soon as possible. Hopefully 2021 emwill be a much better year for everyone. We can only appreciate the positives things we have in our lives.

Good luck and take care. HH. 💚
Unfortunately think a helluva lot a good people are going to if not toiling the noo , me I’m fuckin struggling tae get ma fuckin trousers oan 🙈🙈🙈

Thats horrible TT, hopefully once these vaccines get to work things will get back to normal quite quickly and 2021 will give people who have suffered opportunities to bounce back. You're not alone mate and there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Its one thing listening to politicians churn out statistics ever night but its a much more powerful message hearing from someone who's actually suffered from the collateral damage of this pandemic.
From what I know of the people on here you'll receive nothing but support and appreciation for having the bravery to speak about it, hopefully everyone who reads your story with think twice about breaking rules in the coming weeks and months, we all need to double our efforts to put an end to this virus.
All the best mate.

Sorry for rant
So sorry to hear that TT. This pandemic will cause untold misery and the death rates are still climbing. It's not a walk in the park for a lot of people right now but your family seem to have been hit hard. I hope things turnaround for you in the new year so keep the faith. 🍀

BB , thank you , just read my own post back , not looking for sympathy , although that is maybe how it reads , as I said to many beers , but there may be a few of us who are struggling , mentally , financially , what ever , Celtic family is some one you can talk to ,
It is good for you just to let your feelings out like that. I appreciate you weren't looking for sympathy but your heartfelt words may have struck a chord with others who may be in a similar or worse place right now and helped them realise they aren't going through this on their own. There are many folk on here much better at expressing their support and understanding than I am. Take care.

BB , it cannot be only me feeling like this , there must be loads of normal people , who after this unbelievable pandemic , there lives have changed , in our wee noise family I thought I might reach out , to say my life is changed , maybe some others have also , let’s support each other if we can

Sorry for rant
I’m afraid like you TT there are far more out there struggling for different reasons than we all think. Coming from different generations, we were brought up never to moan, complain, make do with what you have etc but fundamentally live with your strife inside. Even you are apologising for sharing your feelings. We’re trained to keep them to ourselves
My covid woes aren’t the same as your but they’re real for me and many others
My life used to consist of work, weekend with kids, a sociable pint somewhere over the week and then visiting my folks a couple of nights.
The isolation has been really difficult for me.
I’ve been quite strict with my actions and this virus. Outside those couple of days with the kids there ain’t any company or interaction save a shopkeeper.
so while my problems are in the grand scheme of things fuck all compared to others, they ain’t easy. It’s people I miss most
But we’ll all get there, we have to
It’ll take time but the things we’ve taken for granted for so long will mostly come back to us and when they do we’ll cherish them more than we ever did
Best of luck sir 👍

Mate , get everything you say , as well as a pint in the pub , I just miss the banter, my local is mixed , but I miss the interaction , Tim’s v huns , politics , sex , fucking anything , slagging , just banter
Banter with my mum n dad, pals, family, friends, people I know and people I dont.
It’s not the same on the phone.
until covid I can easily say I’ve never once sat myself with a can, bottle or any other bevvy. But the last 9 months I’ve gotten good at it
oh and talking to myself tae
But I answered my own question the other day 😱

Mate , get everything you say , as well as a pint in the pub , I just miss the banter, my local is mixed , but I miss the interaction , Tim’s v huns , politics , sex , fucking anything , slagging , just banter
Ah feel sorry for the young team Tt,ma neice just left school,her exam results got phuqed up,turned out grand after the governments u turn,got herself a job,which then got shelved,she turned 18,no party,she misses her pals like phuq,even with social media available,her wee buddies aw feel the same,noo she's hittin the bevvy,her mum and dad don't drink,their at their wits end,i offered to teach her how to play the guitar,but she just wants to see her pals,the repercussions of this phuqin disease will be felt for years.

Sorry for rant
No rant there at all TT and I admire your bravery on been so honest.
I feel for you and the hard time you and your family are suffering at the moment, but try and keep the faith that thing's will improve soon.
I have to admit, I have never done any social media in my life until this virus took its toll, and my saving grace was to find the noise and feel part of the celtic family, as I really don't know how I would have been able to cope without them.
And that is what makes us as a family so unique is that you are never really alone and help is always available from such good members within the noise.
I wish you and your family all the very best for the new year and hope that things will turn around for you all very soon and also to any other members who may be in the same boat as yourself TT.
And to all the wonderful members who have been such a life saver to myself, thank you all for the support you have given over the last number of months and wish each and every one of you a great new year and together we can hopefully stay safe and beat this horrible virus
HH and YNWA

Sorry for rant
You've highlighted one of the biggest issues regarding this pandemic, TT - it's not just taking one wage out of a family budget, it's taking the whole fecking lot.

There is still no clarity over how and when the government expects furlough money to be paid back, but it's not a handout - that money will be reclaimed in time.

The scary thing is, is that the government business plan for the year had already been mapped out prior to the initial lockdown phase and the real financial devastation of Covid will not be fully realised until at least April 2021.

Expect massive cuts in expenditure across the board, along with significant tax hikes and the cost of living rising exponentially.

Many employers will see this carnage as an opportunity to reboot their business strategy and lay off the high earners and force wages down. Skilled tradesmen and professionals will be forced to work almost at cost just to keep their current client base and social services for vulnerable groups will be slashed to the bare minimum to re-route money elsewhere.

However - just like in wartime, the elite classes will continue to profit from the desperation and the financial divide becomes ever wider between those who have and those who have not.

I wish you well, TT, I've seen several friends whittle away at their retirement funds to keep their head above water recently. One or two are now convinced that they will no longer be able to afford to retire and will pretty much have to be carried out of their work in a box.

Feck........what a cheery bastart I am.

On a slightly more positive note - you're no a hun, TT and it is often when things are at their bleakest that good people come together and show the best of humanity.

Good luck, good health and a prosperous New Year to you, your family and all of our other friends, TT........might even be a good time to start the revolution this year?

The only thing I can say to you TT is that you are not alone..if you can take any strength and comfort from the fact is that there are millions in the same situation and millions far worse than us...been struggling mentally too especially not being able to socialize and interact with folk, downturn in business etc...being so far away from home is not easy either and it's only me and the Mrs here and I think she's about to murder me 😬
January is going to be extra tough TT but just gotta try and get the mind in a good place..I take you live in Torrance? Lovely wee place mate..go for excercise as much as possible, long walks, do someone a favour every day, something small or other.. it works wonders for the soul and your spirit...
Never be afraid to speak out btw....places like this are good to reach out ...there will always be someone prepared to listen , I can guarantee that

I just want to thank you TT for sharing what has happened to you and your family during this pandemic. It helps us all to understand a bit better how hard it is hitting people.

I’m retired now so my income hadn’t changed but for me it’s the loss of contact with my daughter and my four grandchildren. I have learned what an air hug is in the summer there as restrictions were lifted but I was not outside for the best part of 4 months. I learned how to to do FaceTime and use the technology I have.

I must admit TT I’ve not in all my years known anything as bad as this Pandemic. Me and my husband Pat were on the brunt of the late 70’s and 80’ s Thatcherism and the unemployment that brought as a result of the shipyards closing down along with many other heavy industries, Pat had to leave home and go to work in London on the Canary Wharf site as there was nothing here in Scotland. This is when they started the self employed certificate, I think it was 706 or something can’t remember but that meant no holiday pay, no sickness pay no perks of being employed by an employer and made it easier for companies and less overheads for them.
He missed so much of his daughters growing up through those early years and I struggled with all the hurdles of trying to keep things ticking over with some part time work whenever I could get a babysitter. But you know what we survived all that and it made us stronger and we got passed it eventually and he got back home.

My dad who worked in the shipyards most of his life and was a bit of a character he told me that ‘life is like the wee heart machines in the hospital where it goes up an down and when it’s going straight and flat well you might as well be dead and that is life’. I’ve always remembered that when things got a bit ropey.
But it will pass and we will get back to some sense of normal eventually so hang in there TT.

You've highlighted one of the biggest issues regarding this pandemic, TT - it's not just taking one wage out of a family budget, it's taking the whole fecking lot.

There is still no clarity over how and when the government expects furlough money to be paid back, but it's not a handout - that money will be reclaimed in time.

The scary thing is, is that the government business plan for the year had already been mapped out prior to the initial lockdown phase and the real financial devastation of Covid will not be fully realised until at least April 2021.

Expect massive cuts in expenditure across the board, along with significant tax hikes and the cost of living rising exponentially.

Many employers will see this carnage as an opportunity to reboot their business strategy and lay off the high earners and force wages down. Skilled tradesmen and professionals will be forced to work almost at cost just to keep their current client base and social services for vulnerable groups will be slashed to the bare minimum to re-route money elsewhere.

However - just like in wartime, the elite classes will continue to profit from the desperation and the financial divide becomes ever wider between those who have and those who have not.

I wish you well, TT, I've seen several friends whittle away at their retirement funds to keep their head above water recently. One or two are now convinced that they will no longer be able to afford to retire and will pretty much have to be carried out of their work in a box.

Feck........what a cheery bastart I am.

On a slightly more positive note - you're no a hun, TT and it is often when things are at their bleakest that good people come together and show the best of humanity.

Good luck, good health and a prosperous New Year to you, your family and all of our other friends, TT........might even be a good time to start the revolution this year?
‘Your no a hun’ 🤣
and thank the lord for that....
I’ll be skipping to the shops now with that reminder in the bank
I’m not a hun
What a start to the day
A roll, onion slice and ketchup a hink
🌥

Back