James McCarthy

Winter

Given all the problems McCarthy has had to go through since his arrival, injury, no pre-season and covid its probably unfair to criticise him too much as hes forever been playing catch up.
Unfortunately for McCarthy, unlucky yes perhaps it still looks like Ange has the exit in mind for him.
He was brought in when we needed numbers and now we've brought numbers in I can only see unfortunately an exit for him.
I'd think ideguchi will get more time but if hes still not contributing soon I think he'll be soon to follow him out the exit.

Rumour is ‘disappointed’ James McCarthy could be heading for Celtic exit door via @OneFootball. Read it here:

Having a player with experience of such a high level of football in training can only be good for the team. I hope he stays because he could have a part to play this season.
Hes been well unlucky no doubts. It's just whether or not Ange wants to free the wages up and is McCarthy prepared to be a bit part player.
I agree that having him around is no bad thing , not sure if Ange still does

If he's unhappy then Ange will let him go....but I think we will be doing our manager a great disservice by randomly chucking names out of players that might be for the off of they don't get game time...like Gucci.
Our manager took on the media before the sheep game when they tried to unsettle players by stating he can't keep such a big squad happy.
Ange batted away this statement by telling the media idiot that players should be happy playing at a massive club and its not his job to keep them happy but to have them ready to perform when needed.
The fact is, we have loads of games, we play at such an intensity that all players in the 1st team squad will be needed and if they perform they will 100% get a chance to put themselves front and centre.
I'd be very wary over the next few weeks at the amount of blogs and media reports stating our players might be unhappy and are looking for a move away.

If he's unhappy then Ange will let him go....but I think we will be doing our manager a great disservice by randomly chucking names out of players that might be for the off of they don't get game time...like Gucci.
Our manager took on the media before the sheep game when they tried to unsettle players by stating he can't keep such a big squad happy.
Ange batted away this statement by telling the media idiot that players should be happy playing at a massive club and its not his job to keep them happy but to have them ready to perform when needed.
The fact is, we have loads of games, we play at such an intensity that all players in the 1st team squad will be needed and if they perform they will 100% get a chance to put themselves front and centre.
I'd be very wary over the next few weeks at the amount of blogs and media reports stating our players might be unhappy and are looking for a move away.
Anybody hoping Ajeti is unhappy 🤔

At best McCarthy at Celtic will be a player brought on in certain games to see out the last 20 minutes when we are holding a lead and under pressure. I thought he did that very well last season when the chances arose. He won't start games as his style isn't how Ange wants his deepest lying midfielder to play.
I can totally understand why he wants a move to play more regularly, he's 31 yo now and has already missed large chunks of his career through serious injury.
I can see him moving to Sunderland to play under his original manager and mentor Alex Neil.

I must be in a minority cos I cannot see what McCarthy has offered when he has featured, often laboured n clumsy, and some games have just bypassed him completely.
I understand he hasn’t had many opportunities but neither has the likes of Forrest, but he has at least had an impact at times.
Sorry, no room for sentiment for me, wish he had came to us in his pomp but I’d rather the wages were freed up for a younger prospect.

Always thought at the time that the Mccarthy signing never made any sense as never played in a 3 man midfield and in a manner that Ange wants to set up this Celtic team and the style it wants to play with the high tempo and intensity.
McCarthy just isn't that type of player, where he needs to be either in a 4 man midfield or sitting as one of a two in a 4231 formation, and could well do a decent enough job for a team willing to play that way, but just not suitable for ourselves at present.
Yet by all accounts he has helped hugely in such a transition within the club and will remain thankful for his contribution maybe behind the scenes than out on the pitch as such.
So now his work is possibly done with helping players settle so well into the club and pastures new awaits.
If he should move on then I believe should be with our blessings, yet still room available as a bit part player to save other players when a game is won as such.
At his age possibly wants a better role for himself within a club and can't blame him for that either.

If McCarthy does go he goes with best wishes he just might not be up to the task to fit into how we now play. Would still like to see Mikey Johnston move to a Hibs or Aberdeen on loan maybe even Motherwell.
If we can somehow offload Ajeti and Jullien and get one more in along with someone from the B team getting a step up that would be a terrific turnaround in just one season.
I understand we got the extra £1.5 m for Christie for the promotion to EPL this week and although nothing certain would get the extra £3 m for CL if the huns fail to qualify next week.
Alot of ifs and buts there but can see why transfer business could still happen.

I would not be in a hurry to get rid of him,he is a good stand in sub for Calmac and I think the more time he gets on the pitch will raise his game he is strong in the tackle and not afraid to get stuck in when needed yes he may be not the best on the pitch but he gives his all when he is which is more than you can say for some

Last edited:
This is the problem many a club now faces during this transfer window with trying to offload players who don't have much chance if any of having a future within the club, especially with this new loan rule within play.
Chelsea and man City enforced this rule with buying up youngsters then loaning them out to see if they might have any use for themselves further down the line, yet Chelsea stand to really suffer with having that set up in place for years now, yet still causes problems for most of the bigger clubs including ourselves still.
With us having McCarthy, ajeti, Jules and MJ and very little if any game time available for them as such, then all 4 become surplus to requirements for the season ahead imo.
Yet problems still awaits as already lost track on who we have loaned out already.
Yet the club is still a business that has to be run as a business also, so just buying up the contract of ajeti and sending him on his way, isn't really an option, as still could provide something for someone else, even if it's not going to be for us.
So do you sell and take a huge loss on selling or loan in the hope of recouping a better return to hide the loss better? That applies to jules also, and yet money could be raised by selling Mccarthy and MJ.
This particular window is still very much a buyers window and plenty will happen before the window shuts imo, and would still say all 4 will move on still during this window but still unsure in what capacity still imo.

Last edited:
I would not be in a hurry to get rid of him,he is a good stand in sub for Calmac and I think the more time he gets on the pitch will raise his game he is strong in the tackle and afraid to get stuck in when needed yes he may be the best on the pitch but he gives his all when he is which is more than you can say for some
Had a very bitty career to date digger, mainly due to injury.
Can understand him wanting to see out his career by playing and the signing of Mooy has made him surplus for requirements imo.

If McCarthy does go he goes with best wishes he just might not be up to the task to fit into how we now play. Would still like to see Mikey Johnston move to a Hibs or Aberdeen on loan maybe even Motherwell.
If we can somehow offload Ajeti and Jullien and get one more in along with someone from the B team getting a step up that would be a terrific turnaround in just one season.
I understand we got the extra £1.5 m for Christie for the promotion to EPL this week and although nothing certain would get the extra £3 m for CL if the huns fail to qualify next week.
Alot of ifs and buts there but can see why transfer business could still happen.
So if the huns fail to reach the champions league we'll get an extra £3 million, plus the £1 million for olympiakos failure, plus the £1.5 million add on for Christie.
That's £5-£5½ million right away (if the tributeers dont qualify and theres a really good chance of that)
That's got to help in the cause to get Ajeti and/or jules off the books.
The clubs going to take a hit from these 2 no matter what.
Roughly £11 million for the 2 so the club are definately taking a hit if we can get £4 million for the two put together thats welcome anything extra will be welcome.
We have not spent so much as it might seem.
Yes two signings over £6 million and those two ( we know who they are) are real quality but really weve only spent in the region of £20 million , yes that sounds absurd I know " only £20 million " but weve brought a lot in from sales again and of course that £20 million is a far bigger number when you include wages.

Ajeti imo there is a good goalscorer there when hes firing on all cylinders hes lethal, I know many say that his style doesn't suit angeball but I dont agree , when he was fit he did a hell of a lot of running chasing down the ball chasing down defenders exactly what Ange asks for and he is a case of what couldve been as twice hes got into the team and twice been injured, last injury came chasing down the ball and it cracked off his outstretched calf tearing his hamstring.
I dont like to talk our players down and Ajeti is still only 24, jules 28 they both earn about £1 million per year excluding bonuses at Celtic.
Jules contract Is up June '23 but ajeti has a contract to June 24 so the latter may well be the one who is best suited for a loan move if only to increase his his market value.
Jules could be bought out for about £1.5 million though I'm sure the club will try everything to make some return from his initial outlay.
I know many have slated ajetti for sitting taking the money but we offered him that contract and in my eyes hes blameless.
We need another defender , still short in that department and that cost our progression from the EL group as we couldnt defend well enough to keep Leverkusen and Betis at bay despite racing into good early leads.
Honestly can still barely believe our squad from this time last year but as always is the case with Celtic defence is still an issue which surprises me a bit given Ange was defender himself 🤞🏻 he can get that sorted out cos as weve seen with Starfelt, when we lose a main man at the back we dont have the same depth in talent there.

Members online

Latest posts

Back