Jota deal done?

I'm not fussed if we sign him or not tbh
The way we play isn't dependent on Jota. If we get him, then high-fives all round. If we don't.......comme çi, comme ça.

Benfica, like Celtic, are a massive club without the massive media payload that lesser clubs have.

If they make a deal that states 30% pay on, then good on them. We've done quite well on the 'sell-on' market, what stops other clubs from upping the ante?

Last edited:
Yes, I am saying that we would not have spent 10m euros on an unproven graduate with a lot of potential, whereas a loan deal with the option to buy IF he was successful was affordable.

I am also saying that personally I don't care - I want the best team on the pitch that we can afford playing attractive football which hopefully brings some success. Football is a release for me away from the pressures of real life. I play my part in the running of a very highly successful business group as my day job so will let the very highly rewarded people at Celtic Park worry about our finances of our club as I am not responsible for those decisions and get no reward if we continue to make decent profits skimmed off as bonuses before being ploughed back into the club's coffers. If these people start failing us then I will raise my concerns at that point.

Personally I think we have been too frugal in the last 10 years. I also believe we are better off spending responsibly early on on affordable players who will improve your side before the start of the season rather than seeing what is available in the bargain bin on 31st August as that results in a more haphazard recruitment of players. I think the last 2 transfer windows have suggested that this is indeed the correct approach.
Aye weve been pretty frugal but also we have dealt well in the market.
I think that the signings of Edouard and Julien have shown the club are prepared to pay more these days than seasons past if our income stream is good.
Our income stream has been very good and with champions league cash available to us for certain now liverpool have disposed of Villarreal, if jota wants to play for us I can see the fee being paid.
Jota has shown hes a special talent , as a Celtic player his value will only increase, particularly so should he have a good champions league showing for us if we get him tied down and I hope we do, hes exactly the type of player you pay your money to see in the hoops.

A set o' trackies and some buttons....... snap the fingers aff to get him. He's gonna be a superstar next season.
It wasnt a lot , under £2 million for an international is buttons these days.
Must be a dream to play beside , his selfless running all over the place is great to see and is infectious to others.
The 4 Japanese players have had very little time off .
im sure weve still to see their very best though we have seen great flashes of brilliant play from 3 of them.
No European qualification will be good for them and all the squad , not something we're used to in recent times.

It wasnt a lot , under £2 million for an international is buttons these days.
Must be a dream to play beside , his selfless running all over the place is great to see and is infectious to others.
The 4 Japanese players have had very little time off .
im sure weve still to see their very best though we have seen great flashes of brilliant play from 3 of them.
No European qualification will be good for them and all the squad , not something we're used to in recent times.
It was reported at the time as a 6 month loan deal with an option (although some called it a compulsory purchase) to buy for €2m. Ryan Christie getting promoted with Bournemouth has just paid over half that fee!

I really would like it if we bought him but not at ANY PRICE, just a reasonable price.
If £9 million for eddy was worth it seasons ago I think that jota is worth €10 million ( about £8.5 million) now.
We know from what weve seen the club will profit from a deal like that selling to an English or Spanish side he's destined for the top 5 league level.
Celtic could sell him for £20 million easy , total no brainer for me if he wants to come.

Buy say £6m
Two years time, Sell £16m
Means 10M profit 70:30 ratio
So fee recovered and £7m profit.
sounds ok 🤷‍♂️
It's really down to his own ambition.
Earn a huge bundle at Fulham fighting relegation or showcase himself in the world's ultimate club tournament going.
Cash or cash and glamour?
I get the feeling that Jota is for the glamour and fame.
Fingers crossed he fancies a couple of consecutive shots at the champions league , something Celtic can guarantee again.
Perform in that and he'll get a better move than Fulham

It's really down to his own ambition.
Earn a huge bundle at Fulham fighting relegation or showcase himself in the world's ultimate club tournament going.
Cash or cash and glamour?
I get the feeling that Jota is for the glamour and fame.
Fingers crossed he fancies a couple of consecutive shots at the champions league , something Celtic can guarantee again.
Perform in that and he'll get a better move than Fulham
Agreed Winter. I just thought I’d outline the cash rather than percentages. If he turns in a couple of great seasons and we achieve our goals, I’m sure no one will grudge him a shot elsewhere.

Members online

Latest posts

Back