Matt Corr latest, Celtic heroes drunk, bigoted referees, Celtic down to 7 men and the corrupt Scottish FA

A Remarkable piece from Matt Corr, brilliantly written as always. His book INVINCIBLE is coming soon...

And they gave us James McGrory and William Peter McGonagle...

It's so easy to take these nuggets and twist the tale to create a myth. I love how Matt doesn't attempt to twist things to suit his own agenda, but takes the time to flesh out the facts and give them proper context.

Another brilliant aspect of Matt's research, is that he will also write the stories of other footballers from other teams who may not have always received the historical attention that their efforts deserved.

I tend to always look at things from a Celtic perspective, but that entire piece paid several tributes to players from other clubs whom I would have little to no knowledge of.

In spite of Matt's obvious allegiance, it is great to know that he retains an objectivity about his subject. The importance of this, is that these portraits of other players and other teams help to mark our own players and teams achievements when competing against them.

It's not just that Celtic beat a team of random bots that just happened to turn up on the day. It's that Celtic had to beat teams with players who had their own storied careers and qualities.

I seem to spend a lot of time apparently blowing smoke up the arses of all those regular contributors to The Celtic Star, but that is not the case. These are magnificent, detailed, well-researched and brilliantly constructed historical deep-dives into an era of the game I love that I will never experience.

If I can't master that time-travel thing, then I'm happy to settle for experiencing these times vicariously through these articles.

Superb Matt............the book will be the cherry on the icing of the cake!

It's so easy to take these nuggets and twist the tale to create a myth. I love how Matt doesn't attempt to twist things to suit his own agenda, but takes the time to flesh out the facts and give them proper context.

Another brilliant aspect of Matt's research, is that he will also write the stories of other footballers from other teams who may not have always received the historical attention that their efforts deserved.

I tend to always look at things from a Celtic perspective, but that entire piece paid several tributes to players from other clubs whom I would have little to no knowledge of.

In spite of Matt's obvious allegiance, it is great to know that he retains an objectivity about his subject. The importance of this, is that these portraits of other players and other teams help to mark our own players and teams achievements when competing against them.

It's not just that Celtic beat a team of random bots that just happened to turn up on the day. It's that Celtic had to beat teams with players who had their own storied careers and qualities.

I seem to spend a lot of time apparently blowing smoke up the arses of all those regular contributors to The Celtic Star, but that is not the case. These are magnificent, detailed, well-researched and brilliantly constructed historical deep-dives into an era of the game I love that I will never experience.

If I can't master that time-travel thing, then I'm happy to settle for experiencing these times vicariously through these articles.

Matt really is struggling to get to grips with the click-bait concept so he'll just have to settle for a place in The Celtic Star team...

Feedback such as yours makes all the effort involved worthwhile, SP, so thank you. I really appreciate that. And your point regarding the strength of the opposition enhancing the achievements of those great Celtic sides of the past is spot on. You’ll see further examples of that in the next part. Cheers. Matt

Matt........in the latest piece you mention the Willie Maley song being sung in the 70's.

I remember my old Da' going bonkers at Top of the Pops when Brian and Michael folk-rocked up with "matchstalk men". Interestingly enough, my Da' had first heard the Willie Maley song at the Harp Club in Manchester and was insistent that the composer should have got royalties fae Brian and Michael?

Matt........in the latest piece you mention the Willie Maley song being sung in the 70's.

I remember my old Da' going bonkers at Top of the Pops when Brian and Michael folk-rocked up with "matchstalk men". Interestingly enough, my Da' had first heard the Willie Maley song at the Harp Club in Manchester and was insistent that the composer should have got royalties fae Brian and Michael?
I also thought the B&M song came first, as we knew the tune? I would be drinking in the club from my 18th birthday in March 1979. I’ll have a look on Google but I’m fairly certain the Willie Maley song was based on the chart hit. That’s how I remember it anyway. Paul didn’t make his Celtic debut until 1982 and it was definitely before that.

Willie McFadyen........I rest my case.

These articles also highlight the necessity for players to earn a crust by hopping across the border to earn a living even during the booming popularity of football.

Having spent a bit of time in Preston, I can't emphasise enough how much the locals cherish their Scots connection. Having had to find digs in Bolton, I also discovered how many of the trotters resent that connection (even considering how many Scots featured for Bolton over the years).

You've truly cracked this writing gig, Matt. In an environment where many sports-themed books are just ego-driven boreathons and insights into excess and debauchery. I'm looking forward to a body of work that celebrates the sheer magic of loving football and even the abject misery that that love brings.

Keep on keeping on, Matt. You deserve all of the respect and success that I'm positive you will achieve.

Final part of this series from Matt, featuring many Celtic players nearly all of us will have no knowledge of...a brilliant read again!

Matt Corr - And they gave us James McGrory and Danny Dawson

Back