Mikey may not be the answer, but some of the abuse he receives is out of order

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member

Mikey Johnston may not be the answer for Celtic, but some of the abuse he receives is out of order…

SPFL_HIBS_CELTIC_1526-1024x714.jpeg

Mikey Johnston was handed a rare opportunity yesterday as Brendan sent him on as we searched for the breakthrough at Easter Road. It was the first time he’d played for Celtic in 19 months.and the winger’s first appearance in a Celtic shirt since his loan spell in Portugal with Vitoria Guimaraes.

His performance wasn’t any worse than the other players on the pitch, but Mikey seemed to get much more stick. I like most Celtic supporters don’t think Mikey is going to make it at Celtic. He is a talented player, who will make a decent living from the game, but sadly that won’t be at Celtic.

imago1036306704h-1024x670.jpg

Hibernian v Celtic – Mikey Johnston right and Lewis Miller battle for the ball during the cinch Premiership match at Easter Road on Saturday October 28, 2023.Photo Jane Barlow

He’s not a youngster anymore he’s 24, and lacks the consistency and fitness to compete at Celtic. His days are probably numbered as a Celtic player but then again Brendan Rodgers might just work his magic and may just think that he can get the best of a player who was very highly rated by the club during the manager’s first spell in charge.

But does that make the abuse he receives justified? No of course not. Criticism is fine, but some of the abuse Mikey is subjected to is out of order. Particularly on social media. You’d think Mikey was responsible for all the worls wrongs if you read some of the comments about him, particularly on Twitter or is it X? Those who use that social media platform will know what I mean. We’ve all seen it.

imago1036307489h-1024x698.jpg

Hibernian v Celtic – Lewis Miller left and Mikey Johnston battle for the ball during the cinch Premiership match at Easter Road on Saturday October 28, 2023. Photo Jane Barlow

Mikey whether we like it or not, is still a Celtic player. That’s Brendan’s decision not ours. We should respect that, and criticise by all means, but it should always be remembered that there is a fine line between fair criticism of a player and the horrible abuse that was thrown his way yesterday.

imago1036307375h-1024x683.jpg

Hibernian v Celtic . Mikey Johnston of Celtic is after the Cinch Scottish Premiership match between Hibernian and Celtic at Easter Road, on 28 October 2023. Photo Paul Phelan PSI

Here’s a few sensibles post on X worth sharing…

Predictably, Mikey Johnston getting all the stick. Not because he performed worse than anyone else, he did more than most when he came on, but some people just need a f****** scapegoat.

If it wasn't him it would be Turnbull, Ralston or Forrest.

— Stein Reigned Supreme (@SteinReigned) October 28, 2023

Say what you want about the players that finished the match today for Celtic, but Forrest and Johnston did more in their time on the pitch than Palma and Maeda.

Just a bad day at the office, that’s it.

— Ryan McGinlay (@TheRyanMcGinlay) October 28, 2023

See tbf to Mikey Johnston today, he's an easy target. Folk have an opinion of him and they won't budge, even if he grabbed the winner today many fans first reaction would be "aye but he's still pish"

— P*** 'Ace' McQ****
🇸🇦
(@Queenmachine88) October 28, 2023

Just an Ordinary Bhoy

Click on the image below to get a copy signed by Celtic legend John Hartson and also the book’s author Matt Corr…

Click on the image above to order your signed copy – both Matt Corr and John Hartson will sign your book!

Order your signed and personalised copies signed by both the author and also John Hartson HERE. Please note that the book is now also available via Amazon Kindle from the link below…

Read the Majic, Stan and the King of Japan Book Review by Celtic book collector Peter Marshall HERE.

More Stories / Latest

Mikey may not be the answer, but some of the abuse he receives is out of order
Oct 29 2023, 9:06

Hibs 0 Celtic 0 – Just a bad day at the office
Oct 29 2023, 8:45

Sandman’s Definitive Ratings – Celtic at The Dragon Chasers’ Den
Oct 29 2023, 8:24

Continue reading...

I think Mikey J has turned into another Niall McGinn. A very talented youngster, with lots of skill and potential who never quite made it to the highest level with the club. He can beat opponents but too often runs with his head down which results in him making the wrong decision too many times. His finishing and crossing isn't clinical or precise enough for me. Obviously he has suffered badly from injuries which have hampered his progression enormously.

He will probably flourish at a club like Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts or St Mirren where he would benefit from a lot more gametime and less pressure.

It is a disgrace if he is the victim of abuse on social media. He is a Celtic player, a Celtic fan and I genuinely think he always gives 100% on the rare opportunities he gets on the pitch. A lot of our fans seem to need a scapegoat - it is fair enough if the criticism is fair and proportional, but these players often get highlighted when there were equally worse performers or even before they have touched the bsll yet.

I think most fans are sad that it looks like MJ is not going to fulfil his massive potential while at Parkhead. Most fans want him to succeed with us. There are too many gobshites on Twitter/X who spout crap all day long and don't represent the majority of people but yet grab most of the attention.

Last edited:
I agree. It cannot be good for his confidence. The lad has skill and you cannot fault his effort. I also think his biggest problem is his technique. His close control is too close, making it easier for a defender to break the ball or block him.He often loses the ball under his feet in the tackle. He takes too long out of the ball. Rambling runs in front of the defence going nowhere. I would like like to see him tried more centrally, ideally in the box and closer to Kyogo where defenders are more wary of tackling him. Using his skill in those tight places might be more effective.

Last edited:
I think Mikey J has turned into another Niall McGinn. A very talented youngster, with lots of skill and potential who never quite made it to the highest level with the club. He can beat opponents but too often runs with his head down which results in him making the wrong decision too many times. His finishing and crossing isn't clinical or precise enough for me. Obviously he has suffered badly from injuries which have hampered his progression enormously.

He will probably flourish at a club like Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts or St Mirren where he would benefit from a lot more gametime and less pressure.

It is a disgrace if he is the victim of abuse on social media. He is a Celtic player, a Celtic fan and I genuinely think he always gives 100% on the rare opportunities he gets on the pitch. A lot of our fans seem to need a scapegoat - it is fair enough if the criticism is fair and proportional, but these players often get highlighted when there were equally worse performers or even before they have touched the bsll yet.

I think most fans are sad that it looks like MJ is not going to fulfil his massive potential while at Parkhead. Most fans want him to succeed with us. There are too many gobshites on Twitter/X who spout crap all day long and don't represent the majority of people but yet grab most of the attention.
I’ve just commented elsewhere he is the new whipping bhoy, JF the best example in my opinion.
It’s always done my tits in but the support always seems to pick a Scottish homegrown player to villify.
The lad has been injured for the best part of 3-4 years and it seems to me he just needs a bit of luck, a run of games and a manager with belief in him.
I read lots of comments as if yangs a better player, I’ve still to see it turned into end product.
I hope like MJ he comes good, he wears the jersey I’ll support him.
But it seems to me if you come from outside the country you get much more slack from our support.

As for those that call him names and all sorts on social media, they’re a fucking disgrace. The wee guys this that or the other because he’s struggling for form at a game of football ? Idiots

Any player who does not perform will pay the ultimate price, they do not need us to get on their backs, we can voice our opinions on social media, but when they pull on the jersey we have to believe that the coaches see something that with a little help and guidance will blossom and bring out the talent we know or the importance these players bring to the setup. Players need our backing and time their game will develop or if not the shortcomings exposed and the approriate action taken.

The irony for me in all of this is that only once Mikey and Forrest were on the field did we actually look like we might get something from the game.
Cannot blame two bit part players , one who's not pulled the jersey on for so long especially.
I agree - I thought we actually improved when MJ and JF came on. Jamesie could have scored that volley which was harder than I realised initially, and there was no real end product from their endeavours.

But it was still poor by most - a bad day at the office by just about everyone, including the management team and subs. These things happen to us all, but it is how you learn from it to make sure it doesn't happen too often that matters. Ultimately an away draw at Easter Road is not the end of the world, but the performance was not good enough.

I agree - I thought we actually improved when MJ and JF came on. Jamesie could have scored that volley which was harder than I realised initially, and there was no real end product from their endeavours.

But it was still poor by most - a bad day at the office by just about everyone, including the management team and subs. These things happen to us all, but it is how you learn from it to make sure it doesn't happen too often that matters. Ultimately an away draw at Easter Road is not the end of the world, but the performance was not good enough.
No it wasn't good enough, but we were still far and away the only side trying to score for the huge majority of the game.
Another day Forrest strike goes in , even in off the bar and we come away with the 3pts like we did in Motherwell.
It wasn't good enough but it's not enough to hit the panic button or slate our players as some have done.
Times like yesterday we have to back the team not slate it.
Hibs defended really well too not much credits been given to them for that imo.
My brother txt me " fkn embarrassing " at the final whistle and I thought that was overly harsh as we've played worse this season and won.

Back