My promised lecture on The Psychology of a Celtic Supporter

Forgive me if this sound a little brusque, and I don't mean to be critical, but judging by the title of this lecture, I was expecting from this psychologist a more comprehensive study -- or at least an observation -- of the wider Celtic support rather than the "psychology of one particular Celtic supporter," which apparently this triad of personal self-reflection, in the form of "lectures," seems to be.

In other words, I now have a great understanding of the author's "psychology" of his personal Celtic support -- which is nice, I guess -- but no more about the range of psychology of the general Celtic support than I have already gleaned from being on Celtic forums for the last 18 months.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this sound a little brusque, and I don't mean to be critical, but judging by the title of this lecture, I was expecting from this psychologist a more comprehensive study -- or at least an observation -- of the wider Celtic support rather than the "psychology of one particular Celtic supporter," which apparently this triad of personal self-reflection, in the form of "lectures," seems to be.

In other words, I now have a great understanding of the author's "psychology" of his personal Celtic support -- which is nice, I guess -- but no more about the range of psychology of the general Celtic support than I have already gleaned from being on Celtic forums for the last 18 months.

I split the article into 3 parts - too long to put up as one really. Pat made it clear on here that this was the first half of his planned lecture. We'll happily publish the second half when it arrives and I am guessing that the points you raise will be ticked off in there?

I split the article into 3 parts - too long to put up as one really. Pat made it clear on here that this was the first half of his planned lecture. We'll happily publish the second half when it arrives and I am guessing that the points you raise will be ticked off in there?
Good. I hope this is the case, because the topic itself is interesting and something that I'd like to know more about, since I'm part of that equation (albeit 5,000 miles removed).

The second half of the proposed talk was indeed to be about the mechanism of how to change from pessimism to optimism but I decided that the Celtic Star audience was perhaps only interested in the Celtic aspect which took up three posts. I've indicated to the editor that I can supply the second half to him for distribution to interested people.

It's now with the editor for his perusal. I do not think it's the sort of material that people would want to read on the Celtic Star or Celtic noise as it's general and not Celtic based.

From one Larry to another - surely you must have your own fair share of blowhards in California?

Part 3 is very interesting. I was thinking or running parts 1& 2 together then providing part 3 at the end so there is Celtic content in there for anyone who missed the first two articles earlier this week. Been a bit distracted today, Invincible arrived from the printers - no coronavirus hard luck stories here about books being delayed since March - and Matt Corr has been sat at my dining room table all day (he's still here) signing books. If you ordered one it will be on its way tomorrow - looks great btw!

The next part is actually Chapter 6 in my recent textbook How to Cure Anxiety in Just Four Therapy Sessions which unfortunately is only available in German at present. (I could not find a local publisher.)

Back