New Deal offered to Izaguirre?

Shadow2

Apparently Izzy has been offered a new deal. Can't wrap my head around this one to be honest, don't get me wrong I like the wee man because I think he has a genuine love for the club but he's just so far off the pace these days that even as a back up he's severely lacking. With KT looking at a possible lengthy lay off after his op then it worries me that both the coaching staff and the board think this is an adequate solution.

Thoughts?

id imagine its a cheap back up player with international experience.

not first team player but still half decent. imo

All comes down to managing the resources.

Don't think church ready for step up, and doubt we could get a better low cost cover for KT.

Id imagine hayes fits same criteria. back up but decent international with optional cover for few places. good solid professionals who won't break the bank to retain and won't fetch much to release.

If I was manager both these players would be held as cover back ups unless the want first team somewhere.

Don't think church ready for step up, and doubt we could get a better low cost cover for KT.

Id imagine hayes fits same criteria. back up but decent international with optional cover for few places. good solid professionals who won't break the bank to retain and won't fetch much to release.

If I was manager both these players would be held as cover back ups unless the want first team somewhere.

Cl and then a trip to Dingwall in middle of winter, these will be games you have to rest main players and hopefully have a season without guys like Tierney and McGregor etc been burnt out. If it is squads players of big players young palyers and a few backup players then so be it. But he will not be getting signed as a regular so lets wait and see what the reason is for retaining certain players.

Cl and then a trip to Dingwall in middle of winter, these will be games you have to rest main players and hopefully have a season without guys like Tierney and McGregor etc been burnt out. If it is squads players of big players young palyers and a few backup players then so be it. But he will not be getting signed as a regular so lets wait and see what the reason is for retaining certain players.
hopefully cl in winter :p

Spot on TET
Let's not forget about the young left back, Calvin Miller, out on loan
Also Manny Gutman, left back, the American out on loan
And young Anthony Ralston, a right back, but would probably be able to fill in at left back, if called upon
Lustig & Hayes are great servants, consummate professionals, who although are getting on, they still bring experience and passion to the team and are great in the dressing room for the youngsters

No doubt the thinking behind it is he should be retained as cover for KT but I just don't reckon he's up to it anymore TET.

As I said I like the wee man but imagine KT ends up out for a lengthy spell after the op or with another injury, Izzy making the odd appearance here and there wouldn't necessarily impact too much on the the outcome of the league etc. but if it was something we had to do longer term it could prove to be a problem.

No doubt the thinking behind it is he should be retained as cover for KT but I just don't reckon he's up to it anymore TET.

As I said I like the wee man but imagine KT ends up out for a lengthy spell after the op or with another injury, Izzy making the odd appearance here and there wouldn't necessarily impact too much on the the outcome of the league etc. but if it was something we had to do longer term it could prove to be a problem.
Think they will sign for that position and have three options, Izzy to be third and used in sqaud games. hope so anyway. Izzy though will be over the moon to be on the books for a historic double nine and good luck to him he loves our club.

Spot on TET
Let's not forget about the young left back, Calvin Miller, out on loan
Also Manny Gutman, left back, the American out on loan
And young Anthony Ralston, a right back, but would probably be able to fill in at left back, if called upon
Lustig & Hayes are great servants, consummate professionals, who although are getting on, they still bring experience and passion to the team and are great in the dressing room for the youngsters

So would it not be a better idea to recall these guys back to the club and start introducing them to the first team rather than offering Izzy a new deal DILLIGAF?

We're always hearing that we have a bloated squad and we need to start trimming it back a bit and here we are offering Izzy a new deal when we have guys already on the books who should really be stepping up by now.

HH.

Think they will sign for that position and have three options, Izzy to be third and used in sqaud games. hope so anyway. Izzy though will be over the moon to be on the books for a historic double nine and good luck to him he loves our club.

DILLIGAF reminded me the bhoy Gutman who we signed and put back out on loan was a LB, probably a good time to bring him in and start getting him ready for first team.

HH.

Strange decision which Izzy is considering, apparently his wife n him wants to be nearer home with MLS his preferred choice.
Izzy been a terrific servent but is surely too slow now to be considered as a player for us. Would give Mika an extension for sure tho.

Thanks Izzy, Once a Tim always a Tim but time move on for both parties

This is another crazy decision(if true)

The recruitment, and management of the wage bill has been a disgrace over the last few years.

We’d have been as well standing at the window and throwing money out, - which is quite ironic considering Peter Lawwell is in charge.

It simply shows he should stick to dealing with sponsorship/marketing deals etc, and let someone new deal with the football side.

Giving Kris Commons a new 2 year deal, especially with the way he had treated Ronny, and his inability to bloody train is the perfect example.

Well Brendan Rodgers just pitied him as much as anything and he didn’t play a single game. £2 million that could have went towards an indoor pitch or whatever.

Izaguirre isn’t good enough. He was brilliant in his first season, which is a lifetime ago, then went from average to really average. He cannot defend.

It’s a fine line between keeping players with experience/who are good in the dressing and wasting money that could be better spent.

The damage has been done with Kieran Teirney, - he has already played too much football. He’ll probably be as fresh as he’s ever been after his hernia op. We should have had proper cover.

The squad needs gutted, with a better balance.

It’s similar with Lustig - he was a huge reason we went out of the Champions League. He was responsible for 3 of the goals we conceded in the qualifiers.

The recruitment, and management of the wage bill has been a disgrace over the last few years.

We’d have been as well standing at the window and throwing money out, - which is quite ironic considering Peter Lawwell is in charge.

It simply shows he should stick to dealing with sponsorship/marketing deals etc, and let someone new deal with the football side.

Giving Kris Commons a new 2 year deal, especially with the way he had treated Ronny, and his inability to bloody train is the perfect example.

Well Brendan Rodgers just pitied him as much as anything and he didn’t play a single game. £2 million that could have went towards an indoor pitch or whatever.

Izaguirre isn’t good enough. He was brilliant in his first season, which is a lifetime ago, then went from average to really average. He cannot defend.

It’s a fine line between keeping players with experience/who are good in the dressing and wasting money that could be better spent.

The damage has been done with Kieran Teirney, - he has already played too much football. He’ll probably be as fresh as he’s ever been after his hernia op. We should have had proper cover.

It’s similar with Lustig - he was a huge reason we went out of the Champions League. He was responsible for 3 of the goals we conceded in the qualifiers.

And one of the three that won us the title , meaning we go to castle grey skull in a party mode regardless. Just an opinion we might not be good at Europe as a team.

how many players should Celtic have as first team squad?

3 keepers ?
4 full backs?
4 centre backs?
4 centre mids?
4 wingers?
4 centre forwards?
3 attacking mids?

25 players?

Would that 25 include youth prospects or are they extra?
Should we have back up players outwit first team squad or should they be included in the 25?

Who in our current squad gets to take the starting 11?

Who is the back/rotational 11.

Who are the 3 to make it 25

What kind of wages should be available for the first 11
the rotational 11

the 3 youth/back up

for me this is the correct balance both for motivational purposes and growth purposes.

So would it not be a better idea to recall these guys back to the club and start introducing them to the first team rather than offering Izzy a new deal DILLIGAF?

We're always hearing that we have a bloated squad and we need to start trimming it back a bit and here we are offering Izzy a new deal when we have guys already on the books who should really be stepping up by now.

HH.
Not sure if it's easy as calling them back at any moment, I have no problem with having experience as back up for another year, to help the young guys coming through
Some of the loan players haven't really worked in my opinion
Toljan seemed to disappear when the going got tough
It's horses for courses for me, the SPFL is not for the faint hearted
Anyway, we'll see how it plays out
In NL we trust
HH

Last edited:
I think the key word here is "offered" and I don't think he's taken it yet. I think Izzy sees the writing on the wall, which is why he wants to play in the MLS -- and our local MLS team, the San Jose Earthquakes, have an interest in him.

My guess is that he come back to this side of the world

That's the great thing about opinions, they're like bums, everybody's got one
We can debate as adults and not fall out over what we think
We don't have the players to win the big UCL games, but we have the players to keep winning the SPFL, whixh guarantees us UCL money, which we can build on
Too bad our board still have the biscuit tin entality at times
Pepole slag Lustig constantly, for getting older and too slow
WHo is the same man as they were ten years ago ?
He won us the legue and nobody can ever take that away from him
Izzy,not a starter for me, but will fight for the jersey when he's given the chance, again, age catching up with him
AnthonyRalston, should be given an opportuntiy next season, he's got the athletic ability and although not a Messi, or Ronaldo, can mix itand get up and down the field in
I think the key word here is "offered" and I don't think he's taken it yet. I think Izzy sees the writing on the wall, which is why he wants to play in the MLS -- and our local MLS team, the San Jose Earthquakes, have an interest in him.

My guess is that he come back to this side of the world
Tbh Larry, can't blame him if he does
Being a professional athlete in California, is fantastic
Making milions, beautiful weather, great standard of living, American way of life, what's not to like
Good uck to Izzy if he does decide to head for the MLS
HH

Members online

Latest posts

Back