New Year - whatever it is to you all, lets make the most of it

Smelltheg-love

New Year has always been the in-law of XMAS but evokes many memories for me

when very young...staying up late, getting a babychamb, wee blue bottle, rikki fulton etc....staying in greenock, you heard the boat horns....

walking the streets at 16 years, £5 case of bier d'or in hand (who remembers them) spending the night at the wrong party, knocked the next door neighbours of intended at 4am, they let us in cos we knocked......thats the way it used to be.......doors were open

apart from that i only remember the millenium, my paw sent me in toon for lightbulbs at 2pm, but never made it by the local.
So i fell in the door at 23.45, fell asleep at 23.46 and there video footage of me snoring through the millenium bells....
No matter what year or age, i try to spend it with my maw or paw, which hasn't been possible for years through having very young kids

The older i get, in theory the wiser i get. long story per any thread i start...

I never made it to my maws on XMAS day through trying to placate everyone else. Last time i'll put anything before my folks.
They were fine, but it really got to me.
I heard their day involved a million phone calls from my junkie sister begging to come up and see her kids in my folks care.
For the first time ever, they said no, she had no right to be there on the day

I spent the next day with them and my brother and soon to be wife were there with beautiful 1 year old, the 9th grandkid...

As usual folks have spent fortunes on my kids and every kid they call family.
I bought them tickets for a show in Edinburgh, aftershave/perfume and had £200 in a card for them.
They got me 2 vinyl records, small shit..... i opened my card and my mum flies over the room, hide that..... you got more than your brother and i dont want him to see it.........
The £200 they gave me went back in their card.........i love the fact they feel the need to give me that much...but i don't want it nor need it.
The 2 vinyl albums they bought me were thought out........a present can be worth a £1 or a grand, but the joy of getting something you would have bought yourself..

My bro is a miserable cunt....i got him and soon to be wife £190 in tickets to a gig as well as £200 in clothes for my beautiful niece,
i never even got a card..... my maw was fucking sick .... for me........you could see it knock her for 6

so while this might sound like therapy and a spewwing in true STG style..... it's exactly that while its not that....the only person that i was concerened with through XMAS was my maw. i have kids but their joy was easy, you could buy it. My maws joy was dependant on everyone elses.

So, Instead of putting this New Year down as just another forgettable one.......... there's someone in our lifes that we can make it special..
My maw n paw are not going to bed at 12.01 as per last few years, after spending the bells together themselves.....

For too long they've been taken for granted, a steak pie on Jan 1st hungover they guarantee......

my folks may have 2 new years, hopefully 20 left each, i don't know

But this New Year will be memorable for me because i'll make it memorable for them,
this will be the year that their son made an effort by simply spending it with them.........
i won't say a single word that i've typed here to them, thats just not how it happens, if i could say it to them, i wouldnt need Dr Fis ...
but, they'll be outwardly delighted that i'm spending it with them, while secretly hoping i'll fuck off early

Make this New Year special by making someone deserving feel special......
Its just another year is fucking selfish and lazy, make it the year you went out your way for that person/s that have spent a life going above and beyond for you...

Have the happiest year you can folks, in the grand scheme of things, take the opportunity for one day to look beyond what pisses you off and realise then bask in the good that surrounds you that you can be thankful for....... you can go back to being pissed of at them for the other 364 days of 2023

My best to you all, thats the peace pipe nearly broken, i have kids tomorrow so tonight, i've seen my way to getting drunk and high. But tonight being wrecked for me ain't the usual, i need a blow out, lifes tough, poor me, or feeling sorry.......... thats for the other 51 nights of the year

There are many we know and don't that would have given everything to have seen 2023, there are many that would have given everything for those same people to have the same opportunity to live in 2023.

The moral of the story is don't take today or the people around you for for granted

Oh what fun it is to fuck the huns on ..

PS Whats others NY habits

Last edited:

when very young...staying up late, getting a babychamb, wee blue bottle, rikki fulton etc....staying in greenock, you heard the boat horns....

walking the streets at 16 years, £5 case of bier d'or in hand (who remembers them) spending the night at the wrong party, knocked the next door neighbours of intended at 4am, they let us in cos we knocked......thats the way it used to be.......doors were open

apart from that i only remember the millenium, my paw sent me in toon for lightbulbs at 2pm, but never made it by the local.
So i fell in the door at 23.45, fell asleep at 23.46 and there video footage of me snoring through the millenium bells....
No matter what year or age, i try to spend it with my maw or paw, which hasn't been possible for years through having very young kids

The older i get, in theory the wiser i get. long story per any thread i start...

I never made it to my maws on XMAS day through trying to placate everyone else. Last time i'll put anything before my folks.
I heard their day involved a million phone calls from my junkie sister begging to come up and see her kids in my folks care.

I spent the next day with them and my brother and soon to be wife were there with beautiful 1 year old, the 9th grandkid...

Bro lets us know that he's getting married again, quick in and out on 13/1/23 at registry office with only witnesses present.
Congratulations are flying in from all and sundry including maw n paw, but brother see's the look on my face,
Whats up with you ? .......
'i could ask you the same question m8.... your getting married 26 miles away and your not inviting your mum and dad, thats the biggest fucking insult you can give them whether wrapped up or not'... i really couldnt help myself and couldnt overlook the fucking ignorance of it... was livid.......theyre invited days later though

I bought them tickets for a show in Edinburgh, aftershave/perfume and had £200 in a card for them.
They got me 2 vinyl records, small shit..... i opened my card and my mum flies over the room, hide that..... you got more than your brother and i dont want him to see it.........
The £200 they gave me went back in their card.........i love the fact they feel the need to give me that much...but i don't want it nor need it.
The 2 vinyl albums they bought me were thought out........a present can be worth a £1 or a grand, but the joy of getting something you would have bought yourself..

My bro is a miserable cunt....i got him and soon to be wife £190 in tickets to a gig as well as £200 in clothes for my beautiful niece,
i never even got a card..... my maw was fucking sick .... for me........you could see it knock her for 6

so while this might sound like therapy and a spewwing in true STG style..... it's exactly that while its not that....

Instead of putting this New Year down as just another forgettable one.......... there's someone in our lifes that we can make it special..
My maw n paw are not going to bed at 12.01 as per last few years, after spending the bells together themselves.....

For too long they've been taken for granted, a steak pie on Jan 1st hungover they guarantee......

But this New Year will be memorable for me because i'll make it memorable for them,
this will be the year that their son made an effort by simply spending it with them.........
i won't say a single word that i've typed here to them, thats just not how it happens, if i could say it to them, i wouldnt need Dr Fis ...
but, they'll be outwardly delighted that i'm spending it with them, while secretly hoping i'll fuck off early

Its just another year is fucking selfish and lazy, make it the year you went out your way for that person/s that have spent a life going above and beyond for you...

Have the happiest year you can folks, in the grand scheme of things, take the opportunity to look beyond your everyday thoughts and look for the good that surrounds you that you can be thankful for

My best you all, thats the peace pipe nearly broken, down till at least 2022 so no more of these rants.

Cheers my friend
And right back at ye
You are spot on, you can give many 'gifts' to your loved ones, but as my daughter told me..."Your time, is the most special gift, that you give us"
Families, they don't all come in the one shape, and the 'pieces' don't all fit together nicely, like LEGO
Your folks will cherish this New Year, and the fact you are spending time with them
Smelly, You 'get it' while so many don't, especially at this time of year, when selfishness is the order of the day in many instances

I salute you sir, and we are proud to call you friend

Bless You, your Maw, and Paw
Have a great New year, will be thinking of you at 4 PM our time, as that's when we toast the 'Bells'

YNWA

Cheers my friend
And right back at ye
You are spot on, you can give many 'gifts' to your loved ones, but as my daughter told me..."Your time, is the most special gift, that you give us"
Families, they don't all come in the one shape, and the 'pieces' don't all fit together nicely, like LEGO
Your folks will cherish this New Year, and the fact you are spending time with them
Smelly, You 'get it' while so many don't, especially at this time of year, when selfishness is the order of the day in many instances

I salute you sir, and we are proud to call you friend

Bless You, your Maw, and Paw
Have a great New year, will be thinking of you at 4 PM our time, as that's when we toast the 'Bells'

YNWA
thank you sir, it was typed with one eye over an hour or two

like MD would, pondering the delete option for a minute, in would come some nice words from a genuine and respected stalwart such as yourself. Sometimes my musings are so deep theyre almost laughable.

But I share it because its my choice and i couldn't really give a fuck what the judges think. Theres always the someone out there that will feel the same but wouldn't say it

my ramblings are for me and them...hic

More power to your elbow (well typing fingers) STG, its good to get things aff your chest.
Have a happy Ner'dy when it comes.
Oh one thing, If there was only 52 nights in year I'd be over 400 years old right now so thanx for aging me. (I sometimes feel it though) 😉

Well done G-love as always straight from heart. I recognise the description of going out on hogmanay doon the waater and took me back a few years.
I was down in Greenock last week doing my usual pilgrimage to all the family and getting round all the houses to leave crimbo presents for all.
I have 22 neices and nephews now and they have their own weans so the back of the motor is stowed with small Xmas mindings as their are too many of them now but still I make the journey to let them know I care and always great to see the brothers and sisters.
I always make a special visit to my Maw and Paw and have a chat at their graveside especially at this time of the year as they are always missed and cherished.
So your words strike a cord with me and are well received.
Hail Hail the G-love !!

Thanks for that STG it’s mostly memories for me great memories at that it’s now 2 years from ma DA’s passing and 10 for Mums. I’d give almost everything to just speak with them.
I have great in-laws that we’ll have dinner with on NYD.
But thanks for the we story there and the great morals on making it a special occasion for that someone special
Enjoy your Maw And Paw cherish the time you’ve got with them.
You’re a good Son.
HH STG

HH 👏

so while this might sound like therapy and a spewwing in true STG style..... it's exactly that while its not that....the only person that i was concerened with through XMAS was my maw. i have kids but their joy was easy, you could buy it. My maws joy was dependant on everyone elses.

So, Instead of putting this New Year down as just another forgettable one.......... there's someone in our lifes that we can make it special..

Have the happiest year you can folks, in the grand scheme of things, take the opportunity for one day to look beyond what pisses you off and realise then bask in the good that surrounds you that you can be thankful for....... you can go back to being pissed of at them for the other 364 days of 2023

My best to you all, thats the peace pipe nearly broken, i have kids tomorrow so tonight, i've seen my way to getting drunk and high. But tonight being wrecked for me ain't the usual, i need a blow out, lifes tough, poor me, or feeling sorry.......... thats for the other 51 nights of the year

There are many we know and don't that would have given everything to have seen 2023, there are many that would have given everything for those same people to have the same opportunity to live in 2023.

The moral of the story is don't take today or the people around you for for granted

Time is the most valuable precious thing we have spend it wisely, says me sitting on my arse pissing around on the net.

Has @Winter been roon your hoose StG 😂
All kidding aside all the best to you and yours for 2023. I’ll be glad to see the back of 22 for many reasons whilst still appreciating the good stuff. Onwards and upwards to all noisers 💚🍀

Super post STG and close to pinching my long post record and wi paragraphs 😛

Think most folk will identify with many points of that.
I have a selfish brother and there's always one in the family ( usually in most).

I dont have my ma and da now and that xmas was spent with my adopted ma n da , the in laws who spent a fortune taking us all out for xmas dinner in Chester plus all the pressies and all the cash they spent money they dont really have and they also have a bad apple in the family, same old story.

I'm already " sacrificing " my hogmanay by saying yes to catching up with the other halfs best pals ( 🤫 Dinna tell anybody but I don't have much time for them, take themselves a bit too seriously for me) , conversation always turns to work which bores the shoite out of me, especially when a piss up is the order of the day.

Ok it's hardly a sacrifice lol but I'm putting the missus first ( such a warm hearted fella I am 😂).
And I get exactly what you say.

Keeping it short ( well short for me) loved the post STG hits home with me and many in a big way.

Have a great bells and NY mate and the same to all the rest of the noisers and your loved ones.

We'll tak' a cup o' kindness yet .
For auld lang syne'
❤ HH

Almost always shed a tear or two at the bells, usually thinking about my maw n da, and will again... Will make sure though to give my wife a big hug this year and probably me n wee Shades will exchange a wee nod then hopefully a few hugs on the second as the goals fly in.

G,love hope your new year is a guid yin. HH.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJtZWRpYS5hZHNpbWcuY29tIiwia2V5IjoiMzNjOTIyZjk2MWJlMjRiOWI5NjZmMGNlNzAzYTZlYjZmOD...jpg

Aw fuck
I’ve just spewed the whole way up the stairs 🫣
I don't like posting links to other sites, especially the Daily Rangers, but I keep up with what's going on at home
I read the headline then thought, "I bet it's Greenock"
I hope the weather gets a lot better for those good people affected
Dumbarton train station is underwater too, hope Tartan Tim and family and friends aren't affected by the monsoons hitting Inverclyde
You too Smelly
Right now, a couple of places locally, are being battered by high winds and King tides, threatening their homes, down at the beach
The residents are sandbagging to keep the water out of their homes, but it's just another lesson we are being taught, that mother Nature rules
Stay safe, and hope everyone enjoys a Guid Ne'erday, and that 2023 is the best year yet for you all

HH

Last edited:
Almost always shed a tear or two at the bells, usually thinking about my maw n da, and will again... Will make sure though to give my wife a big hug this year and probably me n wee Shades will exchange a wee nod then hopefully a few hugs on the second as the goals fly in.

G,love hope your new year is a guid yin. HH.
Cheers 50
For me, I don't shed tears, but I do smile at some of the memories of family members past, and some of the great times we had
I feel I am blessed with my immediate family, even more so, to have uncle Michael's wee favourite, our Liliana, as my Granddaughter
This is who brings a tear to my eye
This is her showing off her lost tooth look, at our house during Christmas dinner
Looking forward to seeing her, in a day or so
And thanks to her uncle StG, she'll be wearing her Celtic jammies, this weekend
Bless all of you, and be kind to each other, as we're here for a good time, not a long time
YNWA
The 'D'

Lily front tooth on Christmas Day .jpg

Members online

Back