Opinion: “Celtic didn’t just fall asleep at the wheel they drove over a cliff,” Celtic Gossip

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Opinions sought so that I can compile for a Celtic Noise article on The Celtic Star on this important subject...

Opinion: “Celtic didn’t just fall asleep at the wheel they drove over a cliff,” Celtic Gossip​

EPnRCyZWoAAT0xa.jpeg

The thing that I find unforgivable is the board of directors knew how this season was heading as early as August (losing at home to Ferencvaros) and certainly by October (1-4 at home v Sparta Prague reserves). They did nothing. The warning signs became more obvious in November (lost at home to Ross County) and even as late as January 2nd (lost at Ibrox). They did nothing. We then had the complete clusterfuck that was Dubai, the outcome of which that finished our season off by mid January.
Had they acted at any of these times, had they did their job, then the season may have been a lot different to what is petering out before our eyes just now. I'm not saying we would definitely have won the league, but the likelihood is we'd have been in a title race, possibly would still have been in one just now.
We are now at a stage where we have a handful of first team players for next season, no manager, no structure to the footballing operation as a whole and a board who continue to sit in silence and twiddle their thumbs trying to think how they can sell season tickets. The best we can hope from next season is hope. Hope that whoever is in charge can start to build a team that will be competitive both domestically and in Europe. That will take a lot more that one summer to achieve, next season is a write off in terms of winning the league and the reason for this is a board who seem paralysed by the task they have left us with.
They are not fit for purpose and should be removed en masse.

Last edited:
The thing that I find unforgivable is the board of directors knew how this season was heading as early as August (losing at home to Ferencvaros) and certainly by October (1-4 at home v Sparta Prague reserves). They did nothing. The warning signs became more obvious in November (lost at home to Ross County) and even as late as January 2nd (lost at Ibrox). They did nothing. We then had the complete clusterfuck that was Dubai, the outcome of which that finished our season off by mid January.
Had they acted at any of these times, had they did their job, then the season may have been a lot different to what is petering out before our eyes just now. I'm not saying we would definitely have won the league, but the likelihood is we'd have been in a title race, possibly would still have been in one just now.
We are now at a stage where we have a handful of first team players for next season, no manager, no structure to the footballing operation as a whole and a board who continue to sit in silence and twiddle their thumbs trying to think how they can sell season tickets. The best we can hope from next season is hope. Hope that whoever is in charge can start to build a team that will be competitive both domestically and in Europe. That will take a lot more that one summer to achieve, next season is a write off in terms of winning the league and the reason for this is a board who seem paralysed by the task they have left us with.
Well said mate, made the same mistakes as the old huns team chasing their 10IAR stuck with players that were well past their prime and a manager that was finished......

Keeping NFL when he should have been removed. Imo after the first Hun game we were poor before that game and it continued.
There was no fight in the Team no Tactics
And we stuck by the same players who were failing on a week by week basis.
Europe we started piss poor and went downhill. Our poor performance’s really started with FC Copenhagen and got no better.
This was the year we knew the whole of SCottish fitba from the SFA and the Mibs
We’re gonna help there favourite Brothers.
and they duly delivered but we helped them Suecuntinperbly.
The Board well I’m not Eloquent enuff for those Fuckers all they care about is the £€$
And a Solid Hun helps there Share price and Bonus. Where all we wanted was to bury the Huns. The years they weren’t there
How bad was it really.
We need all departments working as one
For the Betterment of Celtic FC. We’re the only ones who can.
As the SFA and the SMSM are there for the
Corrupt Corporation.
HH 🍀

What I found most difficult to take was letting a team...up to their eyes in debt...who hadn't won feck all................get the better of us.....Still raging at that and still canny believe it.....Nightmare scenario and difficult to get over....after 60 years of supporting Celtic.....this is up there as being the worst season ever......WE CANNOT LET THEM GET 2iar.....and CL cash....or the nightmare will continue....Whoever they chose as manager, let's hope it's someone that can get us back to the top quickly.... where we belong.....

Don't think anybody could argue (but I'm sure some will try :LOL:) with anything Celtic Gossip says in that article.

Only thing I would add is that this season's clusterfuck is the inevitable conclusion of what happens when you allow a guy like Peter Lawell to become all powerful at a football club while at the same time having a board of nodding dog directors who don't ever question or challenge that power.

There is NOBODY more to blame for the position we now find ourselves in than Peter Lawell. The only positive I can take from this season is that this man will be gone by July.

Lessons have to be learned from this season.1st one is never keep a ceo more than 5 years.2nd treat the fans as partners not customers for we have an emotional investment in the club that's the reason so many angry posts have been put on forums like the celtic noise don't dismiss these as dick heads who are just spoilt with success.3rd how about some communication with the support because when a married couple stop communicating it usually ends in divorce and finding new interests.I hope thiers a lot of soul serching going on in the celtic board room.

Keeping NFL when he should have been removed. Imo after the first Hun game we were poor before that game and it continued.
There was no fight in the Team no Tactics
And we stuck by the same players who were failing on a week by week basis.
Europe we started piss poor and went downhill. Our poor performance’s really started with FC Copenhagen and got no better.
This was the year we knew the whole of SCottish fitba from the SFA and the Mibs
We’re gonna help there favourite Brothers.
and they duly delivered but we helped them Suecuntinperbly.
The Board well I’m not Eloquent enuff for those Fuckers all they care about is the £€$
And a Solid Hun helps there Share price and Bonus. Where all we wanted was to bury the Huns. The years they weren’t there
How bad was it really.
We need all departments working as one
For the Betterment of Celtic FC. We’re the only ones who can.
As the SFA and the SMSM are there for the
Corrupt Corporation.
HH 🍀
Dont put yourself down mate youre eloquent as fuck..

Lessons have to be learned from this season.1st one is never keep a ceo more than 5 years.2nd treat the fans as partners not customers for we have an emotional investment in the club that's the reason so many angry posts have been put on forums like the celtic noise don't dismiss these as dick heads who are just spoilt with success.3rd how about some communication with the support because when a married couple stop communicating it usually ends in divorce and finding new interests.I hope thiers a lot of soul serching going on in the celtic board room.
Top quality post Jinky you’d think the Super league clubs Have learned there lesson with how whey back peddled.
Just need Bankier and Dermit to start listening as Big Jock said
Football without fans is Nothing

HH 🍀

It's hard to argue anything in this article, however there's always the temptation of having a great sound bite like the title of this item regardless of whether it's entirely accurate. I don't think it is. It's more like a perfect storm of backroom and on-pitch miscues piling up to become a dumpster fire of a season.

Nevertheless, on top of poor decisions on the field by the coaching staff, I don't think enough is made of the significance that injuries played this season; injuries to Mikey Johnston, James Forrest (especially Forrest) and Christopher Jullien. That, of course, is leaving out the laughable officiating favoring only one club -- hint, it's not us -- this season. Also, if someone doesn't want to play here, which seems to be Fraser Forster's attitude, there's nothing you can do, short of holding him hostage. Sure, there are huge holes in boardroom management of the club, but simply put, the board doesn't suit up and play on the pitch.

Last edited:
The boards ignorance so far suggests to me they did'nt fall asleep at the wheel they just couldn't be arsed to get in the car

The warning signs were there even the dogs in the street knew the cracks were appearing long before we finished the 9 season , we were treated as customers now were treated like mugs just how much shit as a support are we going to sit and take ,we've no manager ,a new CEO who can only look out the window while the arsehole who put us in this position sits in command untill june 30th ,,,,,what an absolute clusterfk that is

Throw in the dumbest absentee landlord in the world and you'll have the boxset

Let's hope the new ceo gets to know the fans and thier opinions some of the posts on the celtic noise and that's just one of many forums are excellent at the very least he'll get a feel of the passion we all have for the greatest football club in the world.we get it jamsam let's hope the new ceo is his own man and he's not afraid to crack a few eggs.

Well said Jinky.HH

It's hard to argue anything in this article, however there's always the temptation of having a great sound bite like the title of this item regardless of whether it's entirely accurate. I don't think it is. It's more like a perfect storm of backroom and on-pitch miscues piling up to become a dumpster fire of a season.

Nevertheless, on top of poor decisions on the field by the coaching staff, I don't think enough is made of the significance that injuries played this season; injuries to Mikey Johnston, James Forrest (especially Forrest) and Christopher Jullien. That, of course, is leaving out the laughable officiating favoring only one club -- hint, it's not us -- this season. Also, if someone doesn't want to play here, which seems to be Fraser Forster's attitude, there's nothing you can do, short of holding him hostage. Sure, there are huge holes in boardroom management of the club, but simply put, the board doesn't suit up and play on the pitch.
Wish the board did play on the pitch so that we could all bay for their blood and sack them. Does anyone know which each board member actually does.

The alarm bells should have been ringing afer the cup final when big Forster saved us from a severe pumping ...we all laughed and joked about the Rangers coming so maybe the board were a bit arrogant just like us fans and thought the 10 was in the bag .
Bottom line is we should have been out of sight of that shower of shite,we stuck with the old guard and players like Turnbull and Soro never got a sniff until it was too late not to mention the board making a cunt of it with the choice of manager.
Hope the new CEO has better ideas and doesnt fuck about the way Lawwell has because the majority of the blame lies with him for the disaster we ve witnessed this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
If any of us had looked into the crystal ball and declared what would happen over the past year then you would have to say that the crystal ball wasn't working.
None of us could have predicted what was to unfold regarding ourselves this season not unless our main powers within the board were quite willing to let this whole shitshow unfold.
We all expected operation stop the 10 to be put in full swing and with government help, a corrupt Scottish FA, and cheating mib's all duly obliged on a huge scale and all the while our board remained silent and still do????
The decisions that were made by our board in not seeking any change until way to late in the day, I can only conclude that it was never in the best interests of the club to really seal the 10 in the first place????
A team full of serial winners playing like complete novices doesn't happen on this degree not unless you can create it, for which we surely did?????
Our board prepared to squander millions on poor signings, lost transfer revenue and European income and yet carry on as if all is still grand, stinks to high heaven imo.????
Sadly money has such a huge impact on the modern game nowadays and with the vast sums involved then I can only conclude something must have been happening in the background and maybe still is for us as a club prepared to take such a hit, without any action whatsoever.
Yet we have stood by and never challenged serco scum (SS) on any of there cheating actions yet again, How can a club still be looking for over 30 million during a season when the money from any success is still far less than 30 million and are yet still increasing costs and all without court action proceedings ongoing?????
I've long stated that this season was only a pantomime season as you couldn't make up the carry on that has went on all season.
I do believe this board under PL traitor influence has backed themselves into a corner now and will only be resolved now by bringing about the changes to personnel within the club to get the success back again.
This process may have started but could also do with been sped up a bit as the levels of discontent is starting to grow yet again.
I also feel this board have taken us for idiots this season with there complacency but it's also a dangerous and stupid thing to do as we are far from thick hun bastards.

There is no argument to any point you have made. What can we do about it is the question, should we withhold our cash as a statement of discontent, this is a negative reaction as the club needs our cash, so do we hurt ourselves, these are questions I don't have the answer to, I am not a season ticket holder, so my financial Input is normally "kit related" and normally 2nd and 3rd kits. When it comes to the board I don't have a lot of love for any of them it seems to me that they are nothing but a group of self serving arseholes feeding at the trough we provide them, they may be celtic supporters but they have been in place too long. Time for a massive change. HH

Members online

Back