Orange Flute Band from Musselburgh marching about like Trumpton soldiers outside Parliament.

OK bhoys and ghirls, being looking through the posts on this thread, agree with some and disagree with others. SCOTTISH INDEPENDANCE comes at a huge price. When will we break even? Would we need a Euro bailout? Would our border be hard or soft with England presuming we applied to become member of European Union. I ask these questions because I'm not so convinced we have the finance, infrastructure, and most importantly the will to go it alone. HH. ☘️

Got to say AllyBhoy I'm kinda disappointed with the content of your comment pal.

What exactly is this 'huge price' we'll pay for our Independence because you make the statement but don't actually say what that price will be? I mean what price would you put on democracy anyway, how much is it worth to you?

Break even? NO country in the world 'breaks even' every country on the planet carries a national debt because that's the way the global economy works, every country manages their national debt by balancing it with their GDP. Also why would we need a Euro bailout? I don't get the premise on why you would ask that particular question :confused: ????

As for the border question......well that would all depend on what sort of arrangement the EU and the rUK came to but this isn't like the ROI/NI situation so aye it might be a bit inconvenient initially for goods passing through but that inconvenience will subside with time and technology. Hardly a reason to pass up on independence.

We most certainly have the finances and the infrastructure, we just need to be the ones in control of it. There are nations less than half our size who have nowhere near the wealth and resources we have who get on just fine as independent countries.

I'm genuinely sorry if this comes across as a bit blunt AllyBhoy but what you're saying has the air of 'too wee, too poor' about it. We've become conditioned to think like this and we need to break away from that type of thinking.

HH mate. (y)

Last edited:
Got to say AllyBhoy I'm kinda disappointed with the content of your comment pal.

What exactly is this 'huge price' we'll pay for our Independence because you make the statement but don't actually say what that price will be? I mean what price would you put on democracy anyway, how much is it worth to you?

Break even? NO country in the world 'breaks even' every country on the planet carries a national debt because that's the way the global economy works, every country manages their national debt by balancing it with their GDP. Also why would we need a Euro bailout? I don't get the basis on why you would ask that particular question :confused: ????

As for the border question......well that would all depend on what sort of arrangement the EU and the rUK came to but this isn't like the ROI/NI situation so aye it might be a bit inconvenient initially for goods passing through but that inconvenience will subside with time and technology. Hardly a reason to pass up on independence.

We most certainly have the finances and the infrastructure, we just need to be the ones in control of it. There are nations less than half our size who have nowhere near the wealth and resources we have who get on just fine as independent countries.

I'm genuinely sorry if this comes across as a bit blunt AllyBhoy but what you're saying has the air of 'too wee, too poor' about it. We've become conditioned to think like this and we need to break away from that type of thinking.

HH mate. (y)
The

Why don't we just stick with the status quo, everything seems to be running like a Swiss Clock, a country that has sooked up millions of Barrels of oil from the North Sea and is up to our neck in debt to the tune of 1.8Trillion pounds, Im glad im just a thicko who gets his hands dirty for a living, I wouldn't want to trouble all the financial experts in Britain who seem to have everything under control.
Who needs change, wtf are we after, affordable housing? Roads without potholes? Equal pay with the South East of England? We are just a bunch of selfish Bastards if you ask me, lets leave it to the politicians, I'm sure they will sort it out.

What an excellent post Andybhoy88!
Totally agree with every word you wrote.

I haven’t watched question time for years now, but on Thursday after all the hullabaloo of the no brexit on tv I ended up watching it. Yanis Varoufakis an economist and author was a guest.

He explained that there are things going on in the British economy that cannot be pinned on a Brexit. He considers the British Business Model to be broken and that Britain are depending on capital infusion from strangers and foreigners. This means the British Model is relying on low wages, little or no regulation and Zero hours contracts and an ideology of cheapness. This is not a good future for Britain either with or without a Brexit.

He continued by saying much needs to be considered before we can have a people’s debate on a Brexit. It might b3 worthwhile to get this up on catch up tv and have a listen BBC 1 Thursday . He also goes on to say that this is an English problem as they were left disenfranchised by Tony Blair’s incomplete devolution. It’s not a Scottish or a northern Irish problem it’s an English problem.

So independence seems to me the best way forward for a more progressive standard of living than what we are facing just now staying part of the UK where I feel we are going to be worse off.

Cheers CelticRose.

Not watched QT since the whole Billy 'the bigot' Mitchell controversy (if you're not aware of it google it as it exposes the dirty tricks of QT and the BBC) but will make a point of watching it on catch up now.

Varoufakis would be bang on in his assessment of the British economy though as it has been dangerously dependent on the financial services industry ever since Thatcher dismantled the UK's manufacturing capabilities, that overdependence was THE main reason why the UK was hit so hard during the financial crash and why the job market is now a race to the bottom.

The problem for the UK with Brexit is that EVERY financial institution NEEDS access to the EU market and without a deal being agreed they will relocate their HQ's elsewhere. Some have gone already and set up shop in Ireland, Holland, France and Germany. That's the trouble with relying too heavily on the financial sector to drive your economy, you're placing the future well being of
your country into the hands of bankers and hedgefund managers etc. who are driven by nothing but profit, they have no loyalties to countries or governments and when those profits are put at risk they simply go somewhere else where they're not which would mean a No Deal Brexit would leave the UK royally fucked because of it's dependence on the sector. The Tory ERG's answer to this is to turn the UK into the Singapore of Europe, which means the UK becomes an even bigger tax haven than what it already is and becomes even more reliant on the financial sector.

The time for us to get out is now because whatever happens with Brexit (short of remaining or being in a customs union and the single market) the UK's future looks increasingly bleak and Westminster will sell Scotland, NI and Wales out in a heartbeat to protect themselves and dear old England.

HH CelticRose.

Last edited:
The

Why don't we just stick with the status quo, everything seems to be running like a Swiss Clock, a country that has sooked up millions of Barrels of oil from the North Sea and is up to our neck in debt to the tune of 1.8Trillion pounds, Im glad im just a thicko who gets his hands dirty for a living, I wouldn't want to trouble all the financial experts in Britain who seem to have everything under control.
Who needs change, wtf are we after, affordable housing? Roads without potholes? Equal pay with the South East of England? We are just a bunch of selfish Bastards if you ask me, lets leave it to the politicians, I'm sure they will sort it out.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It really is a depressing mentality Benignus, it's like half of Scotland has Stockholm Syndrome!

If that doesn't depress you enough look what Norway done with it's oil revenues. It shows you just how badly governed the UK really is.

HH mate.

Break even? NO country in the world 'breaks even' every country on the planet carries a national debt because that's the way the global economy works, every country manages their national debt by balancing it with their GDP. Also why would we need a Euro bailout? I don't get the premise on why you would ask that particular question :confused: ????

HH mate. (y)
No worries Andybhoy. It was a rant that really needn't have done. Minds all mixed up at the moment, lot going on here at home that's taking up most of my thoughts. Sorry for late response to your good self. HH Andybhoy. ☘️

No worries Andybhoy. It was a rant that really needn't have done. Minds all mixed up at the moment, lot going on here at home that's taking up most of my thoughts. Sorry for late response to your good self. HH Andybhoy. ☘️

No apologies required AllyBhoy and it was in no way a rant mate. You were asking questions which you are more than entitled to ask and have answered. How else can we debate these issues, find common ground and bring people over to the pro-Independence side without good people like yourself asking such questions and get satisfactory answers to them. It's people like yourself who are open-minded to the idea of Independence we need to convince to make it a reality so keep asking the questions and hopefully the answers make you a solid YES.

More importantly I hope things sort themselves out at home mate. Best wishes AllyBhoy (y)

HH.

Back