Our most important signing this season?

BILLCOWIE1958

After the debacle of season 2020/21 and the disappointment of not achieving 10 IAR, this season, after a dodgy start, appears to be looking far more positive.
After a monumental rebuild, over 2 transfer windows it looks as if last season's blip, as well as a less than impressive start to this season are now things of the past.
I've been trying to establish, who I believe has been the most important addition to the Club, with plenty of candidates to choose from.
Jota, CCV, Juranovic, Starfelt, Joe Hart, or perhaps one of the 4 Japanese imports, although we've seen very little so far of 2 of them, even less of another and nothing of Kyogo since December. Throw Matt O'Riley, Liam Scales and Giakoumakis into the mix and we have the makings of a very interesting debate.
With an almost unrecognisable defence, on occasssion containing a reborn Tony Ralston, as well as a much improved Greg Taylor, we have the best defensive statistics in the Premiership.
With Tom Rogic returning to his mercurial best and Callum McGregor revelling in his promotion to Captain, it would appear that we have maneuvered ourselves into a very interesting position as we approach the business end of the season.
With one of the three domestic trophies, available to us, already in the bag, a one point lead and a better goal difference in the league and only 4 more rounds to successfully negotiate in the Scottish Cup, what Celtic minded person would bet against us pulling off a 5th TREBLE in 6 seasons, or 15 domestic trophies out of a possible 18? I certainly wouldn't,
So, after consideration, my nomination for most important addition to the Club this season lhas to be.....
ANGE POSTECOGLOU.
How about yourselves?

HH🍀

Last edited:
Obviously Ange is the most important signing as you so rightly said above but if I have to single out one PLAYER, it would have to be Joe Hart....The experience he has, the influence he has, the leadership qualities he brings, the calming influence on his teammates, the off field media presence and of course the magnificent saves he produces for me this all ads up to him being our most important signing and after Tom Rogic, he has been our top man this season for everything that he brings..

I think it's fair to state that Ange looks like the signing of the season, but I'd also have to agree with Docco as far as Joe Hart goes, especially considering that I was extremely sceptical about him having the stones to play big-time football after his previous experiences.

Goalkeepers tend to mix in their own circles, but you can see by Jota's wee acknowledgement on Wednesday that Le Sacre Coeur hasa massive impact on the players in front of him.

There's no doubt either that he's made big saves in big matches that have won us big points and a big(gish) trophy.

The silky footballers get all the credit they have rightly earned, but I couldn't be happier with the presence of big Joe. The secondary benefit is the knowledge he can pass on to his younger understudies and that is priceless for a goalkeeper at a club like Celtic. You can go huge swathes of a match being a virtual spectator, but you have to be fully alert when called upon.

Great shout by Bill, equally great shout by Docco.

Michael Nicholson …… anyone 🤔
A suit that leaves the tracksuit to ange
I guess time will tell, but it's been fairly refreshing not having to discuss too many boardroom shenanigans this season (so far).

There's the usual GB conflict and the wall of silence regarding shocking officiating, but the unassuming approach by Nicholson appears to be paying dividends so far. The real question is though, can he feckin defend or score at set-pieces?

After the debacle of season 2020/21 and the disappointment of not achieving 10 IAR, this season, after a dodgy start, appears to be looking far more positive.
After a monumental rebuild, over 2 transfer windows it looks as if last season's blip, as well as a less than impressive start to this season are now things of the past.
I've been trying to establish, who I believe has been the most important addition to the Club, with plenty of candidates to choose from.
Jota, CCV, Juranovic, Starfelt, Joe Hart, or perhaps one of the 4 Japanese imports, although we've seen very little so far of 2 of them, even less of another and nothing of Kyogo since December. Throw Matt O'Riley and Giakoumakis into the mix and we have the makings of a very interesting debate.
With an almost unrecognisable defence, on occasssion containing a reborn Tony Ralston, as well as a much improved Greg Taylor, we have the best defensive statistics in the Premiership.
With Tom Rogic returning to his mercurial best and Callum McGregor revelling in his promotion to Captain, it would appear that we have maneuvered ourselves into a very interesting position as we approach the business end of the season.
With one of the three domestic trophies, available to us, already in the bag, a one point lead and a better goal difference in the league and only 4 more rounds to successfully negotiate in the Scottish Cup, what Celtic minded person would bet against us pulling off a 5th TREBLE in 6 seasons, or 15 domestic trophies out of a possible 18? I certainly wouldn't,
So, after consideration, my nomination for most important addition to the Club this season lhas to be.....
ANGE POSTECOGLOU.
How about yourselves?

HH🍀
No more to be said as far as I'm concerned.

Jota, CCV, Juranovic, Starfelt, Joe Hart, or perhaps one of the 4 Japanese imports, although we've seen very little so far of 2 of them, even less of another and nothing of Kyogo since December. Throw Matt O'Riley and Giakoumakis into the mix and we have the makings of a very interesting debate.
ANGE POSTECOGLOU.
How about yourselves?

HH🍀
Agree with the above 👆👏👏👏👏
Mon the Athenian Fenian

HH 🍀

Ange has been our best signing in years. As others have previously said, Hart has been fantastic too and so is probably our most important new player, but Carter-Vickers pushing him hard for that accolade.
Carter Vickers just seems to go quietly about his business, and if we can get him on a permanent deal in the summer, once Julien is fit and back playing and if we can keep Juranovic, we'll have some defensive back line HH🍀

Last edited:
Ange has been our best signing in years. As others have previously said, Hart has been fantastic too and so is probably our most important new player, but Carter-Vickers pushing him hard for that accolade.
Only issue with CCV is that he should be good for between 5-10 goals per season from set-pieces, but he won't get anywhere near that.

However - that's not entirely his fault and it's the one criticism I will direct towards Ange.

This blockchain/train/mark each other scenario at our corners and wide free-kicks is pretty feckin woeful and a defenders dream.

Stretch the fuckers oot. Plonk Starfelt near post, Jackie back stick and clear a path for CCV to go steamin through the middle.

O'Riley has a decent delivery but it's just getting pumped into a tangle of human traffic and ends up with us having to defend a breakaway.

Aberdeen showed the value of working on set-pieces and we have to be aware that when you're getting almost 20 corners per game - then that's a bucketload of goals we're missing out on.

Only issue with CCV is that he should be good for between 5-10 goals per season from set-pieces, but he won't get anywhere near that.

However - that's not entirely his fault and it's the one criticism I will direct towards Ange.

This blockchain/train/mark each other scenario at our corners and wide free-kicks is pretty feckin woeful and a defenders dream.

Stretch the fuckers oot. Plonk Starfelt near post, Jackie back stick and clear a path for CCV to go steamin through the middle.

O'Riley has a decent delivery but it's just getting pumped into a tangle of human traffic and ends up with us having to defend a breakaway.

Aberdeen showed the value of working on set-pieces and we have to be aware that when you're getting almost 20 corners per game - then that's a bucketload of goals we're missing out on.
I totally agree. Set pieces at both ends of the park have bern our downfall for too many years now. Not only are our tactics poor but so has been our delivery - but I think O'Riley has been a big improvement since he joined.

How often do we get free kicks in attacking areas and instead of firing in a difficult to deal with cross we just tap it to a nearby teammate and try to pass our way into the box from open play (against a packed defensive unit)?

As you say, CCV doesn't get too many attacking chances. Probably Welsh has been our biggest CB goal threat recently.

Obviously Ange is the most important signing as you so rightly said above but if I have to single out one PLAYER, it would have to be Joe Hart....The experience he has, the influence he has, the leadership qualities he brings, the calming influence on his teammates, the off field media presence and of course the magnificent saves he produces for me this all ads up to him being our most important signing and after Tom Rogic, he has been our top man this season for everything that he brings..
You have no idea how much it pains me to have to agree with you. Damn you Doccoooooooo! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back