PARTNER FOR CCV

Who should partner CCV against Killie

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

John nó

Ange facing his biggest decision upon selection this weekend imo, and a case could be made for all 3 options in a position now, where only 1 was really available for last season.
Also I can't see Ange changing from only having 1 CB upon the bench either so potentially 1 will miss out also on the match day squad.
Assuming all 3 are available makes for a big decision imo this weekend so thoughts please 🤔

For now at least I'd keep jenz in there given that hes started well.
Great we have the options , I'm more concerned about CCVs back up to be honest.
I know that most of our CBs can play that right side but it means changing things around.
Either way a good headache for Ange or any manager to have.

Well John maybe Srarfelt should be left out.
The plastic pitch is no place for a player to return after injury for their first game of the season.
First impressions of Jenz is good but I think it's a toss up between Jenz and Welsh as both have scored and played well on their last outings. Either will do for me leave Starfelt out of the squad for this one though no point in risking him .

The plastic pitch is no place for a player to return after injury for their first game of the season.
First impressions of Jenz is good but I think it's a toss up between Jenz and Welsh as both have scored and played well on their last outings. Either will do for me leave Starfelt out of the squad for this one though no point in risking him .
Could well be right mag 7 and would make sense also.
Still think starfelt could be the 1st choice in the thinking of Ange, especially for the CL at present, even with the much better quality for the position available now, including Welsh imo

Ange likes good passers
Fit players
He likes pace in his teams.
Technique
Workrate.

He was also a defender and knows you can't tick all of those boxes.
Admitted himself he was a failed winger.
Welsh heeder...Jenz scored a heeder as well and can ping a short pass best of the 3.

Who is the biggest baddest new CF in the SPL on the block?
Is it Nouble?
Livi love that type. They cause hassle with that type.
CCV could do his thing against him but who else?

CCV never knew he would be listed as a cultured CB. Starfelt was the scrapper - at the time a better scrapper than Welsh due to experience so he got the nod.

Asking any CB to be a top notch footballer as well as scrapper?...you can't keep them for long.

CS and CCV had an understanding, few heart attacks but they did their thing.

Welsh - looked good and dropped out due to illness. Jenz while riding the high of signing didn't look too shabby.

Jenz is probably the quickest out of the four.
Probably the best short quick passer.
Is he tough?

The 3 chasers are all about the same weight. Jenz looks more athletic?
Won't mean a thing if he gets bullied.

Jenz will start.
Starfelt if he passes like he has (under pressure wont)
Welsh will get mins.

Jenz and Welsh have to be in a more attacking mindset for places.

Don't think CCV is used to his old mate missing either yet.

If Jenz has a bit of dig about him.
If Welsh keeps it tidy
If CCV picks up a knock...

Starfelt might struggle for a place in the team. It's all down to his passing ability and tendency to freak out.

A cb that can shake off a rattle is invaluable. CS on occasion couldnt.

Ill hazzard a guess that ange has less time for that than us. Just a hunch

If Welsh and Jenz can then they leapfrog him

All of the pairing and cb stuff aside. I want to see us defend well in the CL.

The press we have rocked the league with. I want this group to fry my noodle and defend (when needed) with the same gusto.

I'm excited. Literally like a wean at Christmas.

I'm booking every cl nigjt, going to have a beer and a day off or a late start the next.
Why not

Yer a long time deed

I'd agree with you on that surface mag 7 , and it appears to be the same for everyone else here as Starfelt has recieved zero votes at time of posting.
Taylor said in his interview that the team were training on the astroturf at Lennoxtown for this game.
A good idea , and good prep though I'm sure our training astro fields will be superior to killies pitch.
Makes it very interesting to see which XI will start, though Ange has said he doesnt believe in traditional " starting XI's" these days with the 5 subs rule, hes way ahead of the curve as usual.
Kyogo suffered a hamstring injury away to st johnstone last season and though that was a grass/ hybrid surface the conditions that day werent great at all, they were awful.
The players looked like they were on ice skates, Rogic the only one doing a great impersonation of Torvil and Dean making it look easy.
This might be the right time to give GG a start with that in mind, possibly Ralston as well.

Last edited:
Who is best under pressure?
Or the two that can do it consistently together.
Cb pairings are a mad mix.
Proper heed fook
Of the 3 I'd guestimate that the preference would be Starfelt only because we've seen it be successful.
Welsh has been great, taking his chance when it arose.
Jenz played well in his debut away to Ross county.
Not enough evidence there for me as to who will partner CCV.
Jenz looked assured after a shaky start to the game but I'd have to see more of him before choosing him in front of Welsh, thankfully theres time for that in regards to the champions league.
I'd be surprised if Starfelt returns from injury to play on that surface, so we may not see him play for at least 2 weeks.
Welsh hasnt let anyone down when required to step up and gained European experience in the EL last season.

Given both Starfelt and Welsh are returning from injury and the kiddy on pitch I think Jenz will start v killie and depending on how the game goes we may see Welsh at some point , outside chance of Starfelt getting a run out there , not ideal conditions to return from injury.
Great competition for that position.

Of the 3 I'd guestimate that the preference would be Starfelt only because we've seen it be successful.
Welsh has been great, taking his chance when it arose.
Jenz played well in his debut away to Ross county.
Not enough evidence there for me as to who will partner CCV.
Jenz looked assured after a shaky start to the game but I'd have to see more of him before choosing him in front of Welsh, thankfully theres time for that in regards to the champions league.
I'd be surprised if Starfelt returns from injury to play on that surface, so we may not see him play for at least 2 weeks.
Welsh hasnt let anyone down when required to step up and gained European experience in the EL last season.

Given both Starfelt and Welsh are returning from injury and the kiddy on pitch I think Jenz will start v killie and depending on how the game goes we may see Welsh at some point , outside chance of Starfelt getting a run out there , not ideal conditions to return from injury.
Great competition for that position.
Still can't see us using 2 CB as subs winter, not Ange style imo.
Great to have solid opinions now in the keeper and 2CB position, as do believe that any long term injury gained between the keeper and 2CB could well have cost us the league imo, such is the importance of getting this area of the pitch right.
Of course now we have got options available that could well be channeled into the best option on a game by game basis, but also not an area within a team that you really want to be swapping and changing either.
Pitch could well play a factor upon the decision of Ange, along with possibly the Lafferty factor.
Your typical horrible orange northy bastard, as useless as they come, yet thinks he's still a bully boy, along with a good few in that Killie team.
Hardly need to be Einstein along with a rookie ref to work out what Killie will be all about on Sunday.
So as I chose Jenz, I will stick by it as it will be the perfect opportunity to really see what he's all about as a player and what is required to succeed also for ourselves within Scottish football, even if I remain unsure if that could be the wiser call still, glad it's Ange who has to make these decisions still.

Starfelt would be my first choice in weeks to come once he is fit, assuming he rekindles the partnership he had last season with CCV. Yes, we know he had a brainfart in him, but overall once he settled then they formed a solid defensive unit, despite trying to get to grips with a completely different interpretation of the rules by our MIBs, a new country and faster type of football and Ange's tactics leaving the CBs more exposed.

Welsh came in and did really well, so I feel guilty about not bringing him back in for this game. But Jenz had a mostly excellent debut (yes, fingers can be pointed at him for the goal conceded) and I think his style may suit Ange better in the longer term.

I also think if CCV needs a rest or picks up an injury or suspension then with our current CBs then we can cope - at least domestically.

I think I'd start Ralston too due to the pitch and opponent (and the instructions their manager will give too). Even if he hadn't started the season so well, I'd still have chosen Taylor as this horrible pitch is where he made a name for himself and won his move to us.

Personally I'd be reluctant to start a midfield 3 of MacGregor, Turnbull and O'Riley - we need more physicality in there against this side. I'd bring in GG up front too with Kyogo and Jota, with Abada and Maeda to come on later on to run rampant as the Killie defenders tire.

Back