Pile drivers becoming a thing of the past

Was just thinking over the debates about who will be our new manager and what type of players we need. Something that seems to be missing from the modern game is the pile driver shot and goal. All the talk these days is transitions formations pressing possession structures phases etc .Weve had some great players through the years who scored some crackers from distance and had the skill technique and power to do just that ..Bobby Murdoch Glavin Murdo just to name a few...what was your favourite pile driver ? I will start with Big Hartson against Liverpool.
Murdo when "ten men won the league", just because of the significance of the goal. Or maybe big Tam G against Benfica. Could go on all day with this one couldn't we ?

Remember that well Magnificent7 , it was the first time we had beat them in a couple of seasons ( only 2 games each season not 4).Was with my dad and he took 2 of my mates also, one for the first time, he was dubbed our lucky mascot after that.
Great night ...my dad had a green white and gold polo shirt on that said "the 6 million dollar man " (don't ask) while we were queuing to get in at the turnstiles a bloke shouted over to him "hey Jimmy what you queuing up for ...just jump over the wall " For those of us who seen the series with Lee Majors in it ...you'll get it.

Apart from the obvious beautiful goal, do you know what else is amazing about that clip? The sound of the crowd!! No shitey , crass tannoy jingle , just pure noise from the fans
And look how Thommo read the play, watch the clip as he moves into position way out as he sees the buildup, and knows where the ball is going to be
Loved the guy in the Hoops
HH

Back