Read this Mr Beaton - Referee Mr Callaghan's 8 week SFA Ban following Rangers Complaint

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
50 years ago and we're going over this again because???
Sorry, i'm concentrating on the Rennes game on Thurs, I think thats more important.

I remember this incident very clearly although I was an 11 year old boy at the time

I can recall the furore surrounding the entire situation

At the time I lived in Easterhouse on the same street as Jim Callaghan some 250 yards away and his son also Jim attended the same primary school as I did albeit 1 year my junior so there was plenty of local interest at the time

The story as I remember it was Willie Johnstone who was no shrinking violet himself had fouled BIG YOGI who had retaliated
The Jungleside linesman vociferously brought the incident to Mr Callaghan's attention advising him that the Celtic player should be dismissed for a 2nd yellow card

The referee told the linesman that as he didn't see the incident it would have to be the linesman's call BUT he should bear in mind that he still had to run the Jungleside line for the next 40 minutes merely 10 yards away from the Celtic support in that area

Callaghan had been classed as a top grade referee but the fall out from this incident from the SFA was to become the start of his demise

If you contrast this incident to the blatant cheating of referee RH DAVIDSON (AIRDRIE) in the same season's Scottish Cup Final where his antics handed the Cup to Aberdeen it is evident in how low a regard the SFA held Callaghan

HH🍀

Last edited:
Go through all the years and it's the same story just a different Bstd

Going by the last game everyone praised madden for having a good game ,well he couldn't do a Beaton again but that will come again in the next game at ibrox

Back