RIP David Potter

That is awful news. David Potter was the original Bridie Bhoy. I loved reading his books and articles. He also posted a weekly historic article on a Forfar Facebook page that was very popular.

He will be missed. Sending love and best wishes to his wife Rosemary, his family, friends and loved ones. 💚

FB_IMG_1690747723339.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely heart-broken at the loss of David Potter, the first Celtic man I've ever known. An absolute gentleman and a Celtic legend.

Very sad news, David. He was a wonderful storyteller and a natural teacher. Condolences to all who knew him. I am so glad he shared his stories otherwise much of our rich history would have been lost. David has ensured that future generations of Celtic fans learn these stories. Sending best wishes.

Merged the two threads into this one.

Few more tributes today on The Celtic Star from Matt Corr and JoeBloggsCity from Celtic Wiki...

Just devastating news.......don't have words at the moment and really don't know what to write.

I've went to some lengths in many previous posts about how much respect I have for the folk who find their way to Celtic through the less traditional channels. It's a tough road for many of these lads and lasses, as they often have to defy their own upbringing and conventions and run the gauntlet with friends and family.

I can't speak for David, but I'm fairly sure he may have mentioned previously that his path to Celtic was one of those paths less followed and was borne purely out of the awe and magic which eminates from those magnificent Hoops. As someone from the North-East of Scotland, I can't imagine that David was subject to the same level of vilification that may appear in other parts of the country, but his love for Celtic would still leave question marks and bewilderment among many and it would have taken much courage and conviction to declare his love for the club.

I'm sure Bridie will agree that Forfar is a modest wee town up here in the North-East and that that modesty is reflected in the fine people that that wee town has bestowed upon us. David was one of those fine people and it is an incredibly sad loss to the wider Celtic community, but not nearly measurable compared to the magnitude of the loss for his family.

I don't know if religion is a theme within the Potter household, but I do hope they know that David will feature prominently in many of our prayers for the foreseeable future and I can only hope they can take some strength from the love that we feel for a man who gave so much to Celtic and to those who follow Celtic.

How I would have cherished the opportunity to sip from the fountain of his knowledge regarding the mighty Bhoys in Barrel Hoops, but at least I can have his storied words to feast upon yet.

David Potter.......Celtic historian and legend RIP

Very sad news of the man who wrote so brilliantly about our club that we all love.
You brought us the the pain and elation we all feel from our grandfather's to this day when following the the glorious Glasgow Celtic.
As the saying goes more than just a club was brought to life many times by your sharing of your stories and knowledge. RIP David 💚🤍💛

Members online

Back