RIP Jim McLean

Controversial wee character, hard to like at times but what he achieved at Dundee Utd was incredible, I can't imagine it'll ever be equalled. Old school football man, always 100% committed to his cause.
Well played Jim.
Both him and Fergie at Aberdeen. There are a lot of stories about him - some brilliant and some very unflattering. He was definitely not someone to cross - even unintentionally - and he could hold a grudge. But he was totally committed to his football club.

Although he is now at peace it is a terrible time as people can't congregate to thank him, celebrate his life and say their goodbyes. I'm sure our wonderful support would have given a fitting tribute to him if we had bern allowed in the stadium for our next game against them.

Both him and Fergie at Aberdeen. There are a lot of stories about him - some brilliant and some very unflattering. He was definitely not someone to cross - even unintentionally - and he could hold a grudge. But he was totally committed to his football club.

Although he is now at peace it is a terrible time as people can't congregate to thank him, celebrate his life and say their goodbyes. I'm sure our wonderful support would have given a fitting tribute to him if we had bern allowed in the stadium for our next game against them.
Won the League, 2 league cups, 8 other domestic cup finals, the European cup semi final, and the UEFA cup final, all with Dundee Utd, incredible record, one of Dundees finest (other than SP)

It was ironic that he won Dundee Utds first two trophies at Dens. The league cup in 1979 v Aberdeen in a replay played at Dens on a Wednesday night and in 1980 they played Dundee in an all Dundee final again played at Dens. When they won the league a few years later the winning points were secured at Dens. Talk about a Girfuy to your neighbours.

I'm sure I read once that dundee United are the only team to have beaten Barcelona home and away twice in European competition. Some achievement.
Oh aye. I have a few Utd fans as friends and that "little known fact" gets posted on Facebook every time Barca win something. Played 4 - won 4 (I think 2 were in the 60s).

Dundee Utd should have made the European Cup final too - the ref was awful in the 2nd leg of the semi against Roma (2 up after the 1st leg, they lost 3-0 away). The ref was later found to have been bribed with expensive gifts like a watch and hookers. At that time I thought his Utd teams played very similar to the Celtic way.

Back