Ronnie Simpson RIP

Any one know whatever happened to the cobblestones on Camlachie St , ( running parallel to the Gallowgate ) that were placed in such a way they looked like the Goalposts and bar , with the foot ,head and ball that represented JT ?
Just looked on Google Earth and it’s all changed there .

Found this, I was always told it was JT , perhaps not laid in memory of him , but everyone used to stop on the way down to Parkhead at these stones and remember the Great JT

Extract from messageboard, 4th March, Charlie McDonald
The Ball,the Boot and the Goal had nothing to do with Celtic despite continual claims by their fans and the media. Originally it was claimed that it was a memorial to John Thomson and the latest one is it is a memorial to Jimmy Quinn's Cup Final hat-trick. Sorry to say that both accounts are wrong.
In my book 'Old Parkhead' I have listed the story that I had researched and that was the one of the workman who was being pestered by local kids as he repaired the cobbles and asked the kids to go and find odd shaped stones which he included into the cobbled street. After it was highlighted in the Evening Times by Alex Cameron there was a final letter from a grandson of a committee member of Bridgeton Waverley Juniors , who played at the bottom of Yate Street and Overtown Street, and he claimed that his granda had built it as a memorial to the now defunct Waverley. I have in my collection of east-end photographs a view of Yate Street looking up to the Gallowgate and it clearly shows the street was cobbled then in the 1890's long before Quinn's hatrick and the formation of Bridgeton Waverley.
Webmaister :- Thanks for clarifying this Charlie's book 'Old Parkhead' has a photograph of the 'famous' ball & boot. See extract from book below.
Camlcobbles.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Back