Ryan Christie on Celtic's 'Crazy Bar', Goalless after 35 shots for Bournemouth...

It's a pity he didn't hang about to work with Ange, good possibility that he would have been given better management and returned to being one of our best players. Can't blame him for leaving though, the board made it an easy choice for anyone with desire at the club to move on. Sadly I think its a loss to RC and the club, another season would have seen his potential and value rocket.

It's a pity he didn't hang about to work with Ange, good possibility that he would have been given better management and returned to being one of our best players. Can't blame him for leaving though, the board made it an easy choice for anyone with desire at the club to move on. Sadly I think its a loss to RC and the club, another season would have seen his potential and value rocket.
I agree CE64. I think Celtic, Christie and Scotland would have all been better off if Ryan had stayed to be coached by Ange. Sadly we will never know now.

I know a lot of fans grew to seriously dislike him but to an extent I can understand his frustrations and wanting to move when he was classed as one of our most important players but was only paid a fraction of bit part players like El Hamed (over 60% higher basic salary), Barkas, Bolingoli, Ajeti, Ntcham, Laxalt, Mikey Johnston, Duffy, etc.

If he cut out this ridiculous shoot the ball over the stadium roof on sight tactic that was encouraged by the previous management team and focused instead on being a team player then IMO he would have been a great fit into our current setup.

Last edited:
to be fair to players and even management last season, we are a club where fans drive success. That was absent, having the likes of PL and DD dictating our path based on the brass in their pocket was/is a recipe for disaster. While the new club were being rapidly progressed to success by the eternal triangle of MSM, SFA and PL / DD not rocking the money boat, the club was sacrificed. We as fans are better than them. It's ironic that their failure to get a deal done with their chosen replacement has actually turned up a gem. Long live Ange!

I’m surprised by all the reports that Christie just wanted paid the going rate but Celtic wouldn’t match it. Christie needs a look at himself though, last season he just looked busy, running around with energy, but without actually doing too much. I dunno if he was being really clever in trying to look like he was making a contribution but always making sure he wasn’t actually getting involved. It’s in stark contrast to seasons before and even the start of this season where he was all over the pitch getting stuck in and showing great skill. Was it a euro game he done that silky toe poke nutmeg and I think then set up a goal?

a great loss if he played like he could, but sadly another player that caused losing the 10

Christie, like his pal Stuart Armstrong, 'suffered' at being on relatively low wages at Celtic when they were (at different times) established first team players. The reason for this was they came from low paying clubs on Dundee Utd and Inverness Caley Thistle. They got a HUGE increase when they first signed but lagged behind others who were earning much more but contributing less.

Armstrong went from around £14k a week at Celtic to around £50k a week at Southampton. He always wanted to get to the Premier League, as do most players. Total respect to Callum McGregor incidentally who could easily have made millions more by following Armstrong, McGinn, Tierney, Christie etc in opting to leave or reject Celtic for the big bucks on offer in England.

Charlie Christie gave an interview to Evening Times/Herald in the close season after 9IAR and that was the first red flag that things were going to go badly wrong at Celtic last season. Christie started that season well but got injured and the clear POTY was Odsonne Edouard. Yet Charlie reckoned his boy, who was injured for a period, deserved that award for his goals - think it was ten.

Further Christie clan interviews followed that season and one thing was missing, any praise For Celtic. It was all Inverness were great, loan spell at Aberdeen under Derek McInnes, wonderful etc - when he was injured he had a Scotland reference pinned to his training equipment, rather than anything to do with Celtic. Christie wanted a big move and played for himself last season imho.

Christie followed the money. He followed Armstrong, Tierney and McGinn but ended up not in the Premier League but in the Championship. That might have been a good idea though as Bournemouth are top of the league and on course for a place in the Premier League. He could have joined a lower level Premier League side that could end up relegated.

Wish him no harm at all but the failure of our club to handle the Wantaways went a long way to cost us the ten.

Yip along with Ntcham Eddie, and the manager that fukin picked them. 🤮🤑🤮🤑🤮🤑
I wouldn’t say ntcham was really a regular anyway, but I’m not disagreeing, that’s why I said another player. Most of the main players downed tools for whatever reasons last season. Lennon could only pick what was there to be fair.
As I’ve said before, same manager & bulk of players were the ones who romped europa group last year in a tough group 🤷‍♂️

Christie, like his pal Stuart Armstrong, 'suffered' at being on relatively low wages at Celtic when they were (at different times) established first team players. The reason for this was they came from low paying clubs on Dundee Utd and Inverness Caley Thistle. They got a HUGE increase when they first signed but lagged behind others who were earning much more but contributing less.

Armstrong went from around £14k a week at Celtic to around £50k a week at Southampton. He always wanted to get to the Premier League, as do most players. Total respect to Callum McGregor incidentally who could easily have made millions more by following Armstrong, McGinn, Tierney, Christie etc in opting to leave or reject Celtic for the big bucks on offer in England.

Charlie Christie gave an interview to Evening Times/Herald in the close season after 9IAR and that was the first red flag that things were going to go badly wrong at Celtic last season. Christie started that season well but got injured and the clear POTY was Odsonne Edouard. Yet Charlie reckoned his boy, who was injured for a period, deserved that award for his goals - think it was ten.

Further Christie clan interviews followed that season and one thing was missing, any praise For Celtic. It was all Inverness were great, loan spell at Aberdeen under Derek McInnes, wonderful etc - when he was injured he had a Scotland reference pinned to his training equipment, rather than anything to do with Celtic. Christie wanted a big move and played for himself last season imho.

Christie followed the money. He followed Armstrong, Tierney and McGinn but ended up not in the Premier League but in the Championship. That might have been a good idea though as Bournemouth are top of the league and on course for a place in the Premier League. He could have joined a lower level Premier League side that could end up relegated.

Wish him no harm at all but the failure of our club to handle the Wantaways went a long way to cost us the ten.
I do mind his dad seeming to be touting him to the media, didn’t notice the lack of any reference to Celtic though. At the end of the day, every player signs a contract and obviously happy at the time to do so. If Celtic felt he was worth what he wanted they’d have paid it. I think we have a pretty high wage bill for what we get in return, probably paying over the odds to be playing in Scotland. I think we fucked the opportunity to have someone like Rodgers develop potential stars in return for giving them a European platform, and making a model out of that, but that’s a gripe for another time

I wouldn’t say ntcham was really a regular anyway, but I’m not disagreeing, that’s why I said another player. Most of the main players downed tools for whatever reasons last season. Lennon could only pick what was there to be fair.
As I’ve said before, same manager & bulk of players were the ones who romped europa group last year in a tough group 🤷‍♂️
Lennon should have hunted the wantaways when it became obvious they weren't going to try a leg, told the fans why, we had plenty that could have stepped into the team, as for Ntcham he chucked it the season before when Lenny stopped playing him as a #10 and played him as a holding mid.

Lennon should have hunted the wantaways when it became obvious they weren't going to try a leg, told the fans why, we had plenty that could have stepped into the team, as for Ntcham he chucked it the season before when Lenny stopped playing him as a #10 and played him as a holding mid.
The thing is that proper management, encouragement and development of your employees/players to try to stop them becoming "wantaways" is a much better way of progressing the club than allowing it to get to the stage where cliches of discontented staff want out. This is the same principle in any industry.

If this means proactively renegotiating contracts of important players so they are being paid the going rate at our club then I think this makes more economic sense than replacing them with someone new on much higher wages who may not settle or even suit our team.

Also, as a club (and fans need to accept this as well) we encourage some new signings to believe that if they star for Celtic then they can win a high money transfer to England to follow in the footsteps of VVD, Wanyama, Ki, Armstrong, Tierney, etc. If this is our business strategy then we need to understand if we don't sell certain players after 2 or 3 seasons then some of them will become hacked off.

Personally I think far too much is made of this one interview with Charlie Christie who was boasting about his son which is not unusual with parents!

Back