Scotland's Shame 1936

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Hearts this time and echoes of Neil Lennon...

I'm working on another detailed article from Matt Corr about Celtic in the 1930s and it will be up shortly. It's a long but brilliant read. Just paused to cut and paste a small portion of the article here, it about a young red-headed Irish goalkeeper playing for Celtic at Tynecastle. See if it rings any bells...

GW251H351.jpeg

Jim (Foley) would gain his sixth international cap in the 5-2 victory at Dublin’s Dalymount Park over Germany on Saturday, 17 October 1936, as Hitler basked in the glory of his Berlin Olympic Games that summer, and the world looked on and wondered. The following month, he was part of the Celtic side which faced the Hearts ‘A’ side at Tynecastle in an Alliance fixture. Foley was subjected to a torrent of racist abuse from ‘fans’ behind his goal at the Gorgie Road end. ‘Fenian* this’. ‘Irish that’. I’m sure you have the picture. At one point, he retrieved the ball from the track then, depending on what version you believe, volleyed the ball off a wall and/or into the crowd. Cue bedlam. In the ensuing melee, Foley was headbutted by a spectator, one of many who had invaded the pitch to attack the Celtic keeper.

What happened next borders on the farcical. A Hearts fan claimed that he had been ‘momentarily hurt by a glancing blow’, and Foley was charged with assault, ‘by kicking a football deliberately and with great force in his direction’. Despite evidence to the contrary, including the word of teammates, John Doyle and Bertie Duffy, and requests from Foley’s King’s Counsel to dismiss the charge on the grounds of triviality, with ‘no question of injury having been inflicted’, Jim was convicted and fined £2, as an alternative to a 20-day custodial sentence. It was a strange interpretation of Scottish justice. Sadly, for whatever reason, he would not be the last red-haired Irish Celt to be assaulted in the Gorgie stadium.

*Please note that the version that will appear on The Celtic Star this morning will be edited, we are not permitted to use this word or the article is filtered out from the News sites. Foley had just played against Nazi Germany for Ireland, he must have wondered which opponent was the most disgraceful....

I'll drop Matt's article in here when it's ready, been at it for hours!

Here is Matt's latest article, another cracker!

And they gave us James McGrory and Willie Hughes...

Mr Transparency and Mr integrity aka clown shoe, talks about how the public was entitled to know the names of the panel of whom one was threatend, he distances himself from the fringe loonies, if watching this you can get a wee insight into how the deal to pay clubs whom the huns owed debts to been spoke about, tax money blanked thats the company of course, so when you are finished watching, think about how can a club owe money and also the company owe money (seperate entities bollocks) at the same time yet only one will be enforced, teams told the huns and sfa to get to fuck unless they pay them their debts, the fucking lies in this video are laid bare, listen as he talks about tranparency and states the public have the right to know these drcisions, oh dear the 5 way agreement anyone, who are these people?

Mr Transparency and Mr integrity aka clown shoe, talks about how the public was entitled to know the names of the panel of whom one was threatend, he distances himself from the fringe loonies, if watching this you can get a wee insight into how the deal to pay clubs whom the huns owed debts to been spoke about, tax money blanked thats the company of course, so when you are finished watching, think about how can a club owe money and also the company owe money (seperate entities bollocks) at the same time yet only one will be enforced, teams told the huns and sfa to get to fuck unless they pay them their debts, the fucking lies in this video are laid bare, listen as he talks about tranparency and states the public have the right to know these drcisions, oh dear the 5 way agreement anyone, who are these people?

Fat Swally 🥢

Please explain?
In 1936 Germany was not at war with anyone. I'm sure Ireland v Germany in 1936 was played in a traditional sporting manner, so there was no need to insinuate they were disgraceful.

Britain didn't declare war on Germany until 3 years after this game. Many of the poor souls in the film would have died and I'm sure they were all mostly good men whether Irish or German.

History is written by the victors so obviously we were all taught a one sided view.

If you look at all sides of history, taking in both sides of the story, you may form a different opinion of the German people and different world view in general.

For anyone interested I strongly recommend the 10 part documentary "Europa The Last Battle" the first episode can be watched here:

https://www.brighteon.com/6003039997001

In 1936 Germany was not at war with anyone. I'm sure Ireland v Germany in 1936 was played in a traditional sporting manner, so there was no need to insinuate they were disgraceful.

Britain didn't declare war on Germany until 3 years after this game. Many of the poor souls in the film would have died and I'm sure they were all mostly good men whether Irish or German.

History is written by the victors so obviously we were all taught a one sided view.

If you look at all sides of history, taking in both sides of the story, you may form a different opinion of the German people and different world view in general.

For anyone interested I strongly recommend the 10 part documentary "Europa The Last Battle" the first episode can be watched here:

https://www.brighteon.com/6003039997001
Jeezo that's wide of the mark even for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back