Shankland and Turnbull

I'm telling ye Niall big Ajer is yer man for DM! We're trading a future top class defensive midfielder for a decent (not top class) CB by continuing with BR's Ajer experiment! He was converted to a CB out of necessity, that necessity no longer exists and he should be back playing his natural position.

HH (y)
You could well be right. I'm even open to giving it a go and seeing how he performs. I really like him in Central defence though.
I did watch Peter Grant's Open Goal interview recently and he said he was a converted striker before becoming Paul McStay's enforcer. Just saying:)
He could be more than a decent centre half. How many his age show their worth in that position so early? The potential as a centre half is there to be developed. It's a leap of faith to assume Ajer would be a top class DM as we haven't seen any real evidence yet. Be happy to try it out on a few occasions and let Broony rest now and then. We have the centre back options to trial it.
I'd prefer Victor of course, but I appreciate my head is somewhat in the clouds

Last edited:
Turnbull deal i think will go through unless Well decide to fk it up , shankland i just don't understand why now cos when he was at Ayr we were offered him and made no moves for him story being he saw his pathway as going to the championship
I'm up for Turnbull if Ntcham or Rogic are deemed sellable assets, otherwise I'd just see how he went til the summer. Big injury and he's had one good season no need to jump in just yet (guess we could buy and loan back instead but don't see the point).
Shankland at Ayr to Shankland at Dundee United is the jump in expectation levels. If we have to pay around a million now at least we'll know by then if he has improved since the Aberdeen release. United are expected to win every week, Ayr not so much. Might be worth waiting until end of the season again and let him show the maturity to handle the extra pressure and the next few Scotland encounters. Cyprus and Kazakstan would be good tests to see if his skills transfer beyond The Championship.

You could well be right. I'm even open to giving it a go and seeing how he performs. I really like him in Central defence though.
I did watch Peter Grant's Open Goal interview recently and he said he was a converted striker before becoming Paul McStay's enforcer. Just saying:)
He could be more than a decent centre half. How many his age show their worth in that position so early? The potential as a centre half is there to be developed. It's a leap of faith to assume Ajer would be a top class DM as we haven't seen any real evidence yet. Be happy to try it out on a few occasions and let Broony rest now and then. We have the centre back options to trial it.
I'd prefer Victor of course, but I appreciate my head is somewhat in the clouds

No doubt he has done really well at CB but he does have a tendency to get caught napping at times and he can be a bit overzealous with the way he throws himself into challenges in the 18 yard box, he needs to stay on his feet more and cut out diving into tackles if he's ever going to make it as a top class CB.

His biggest attributes for me are how he uses his physicality to win the aerial battles and muscle players off the ball and also how he carries the ball out of defence, if this was applied to a DCM role then we could have a young Vieira type on our hands. Thinks it's definitely something worth exploring.

As for big Victor coming back......I honestly think that one is for the birds mate! He would need to take a massive drop in wages and at 28 he'll probably be looking for a right good contract with a hefty wedge as this will be his last big earner before he enters the latter stages of his career so unless we break our wage structure to bring him in then it's a non starter as far as I can see.

HH Niall (y)

It would be interesting to see what ajers passing stats are in training. We only get to see a wee bit of it in games as he isn't asked to do it. For him to be good enough to keep a DM position in our team his short passing accuracy has to be sky high. In game as well being able to do it under pressure. It's a big jump in technical ability. Remember we still have bitton

It would be interesting to see what ajers passing stats are in training. We only get to see a wee bit of it in games as he isn't asked to do it. For him to be good enough to keep a DM position in our team his short passing accuracy has to be sky high. In game as well being able to do it under pressure. It's a big jump in technical ability. Remember we still have bitton
Think he's well on his way to being a class CH,done well in that position for his country aswell recently.He's took a bit of criticism recently but people need to remember hes a young guy still learning his trade , everydays a school day for a footballer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its a bit early for transfer talk and ins and outs we have a campaign to command before Januray comes. Leave transfer stories to the usual SMS suspects and radio knob jockeys and EBT lackies.
It's all shite the now tinsel papers nut I'd rather have ikpeazu over shankland wid love to be able to bring a big man like that on wen we need a goal to drag the defence all over the shop n he wid get goals way our attacking players being fuckin outstanding HH

Members online

Back