Simunovic on Celtic: “They changed many things in the summer and, unfortunately, in the end it has not proven to be good”

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe but at that price you expect players to be good straight away - not pish for three months and then average.
No doubt IMO that Duffy has been mostly bloody awful. But he was signed after being inactive for many months and has had to deal with the emotional turmoil that his father died just before he joined us, along with the turmoil of moving to a new club and not having a chance to socially integrate properly due to the Covid crisis. I'm sure the plan was to integrate him into our set-up in a better manner but all the injuries and isolations meant we had to play him in a continually changing defensive line-up with different keepers behind him (OK he was responsible for injuring both Jullien and Barkas, so he isn't entirely innocent).

Hopefully he is settling in now and his knocked confidence is growing again so he can become that leading senior no-nonsense player that most of us hoped we were signing. If he doesn't then that is not good for us or him and it will definitely be a waste of money. But if we turn this around and win 10IAR I personally couldn't care less and would be delighted.

No doubt IMO that Duffy has been mostly bloody awful. But he was signed after being inactive for many months and has had to deal with the emotional turmoil that his father died just before he joined us, along with the turmoil of moving to a new club and not having a chance to socially integrate properly due to the Covid crisis. I'm sure the plan was to integrate him into our set-up in a better manner but all the injuries and isolations meant we had to play him in a continually changing defensive line-up with different keepers behind him (OK he was responsible for injuring both Jullien and Barkas, so he isn't entirely innocent).

Hopefully he is settling in now and his knocked confidence is growing again so he can become that leading senior no-nonsense player that most of us hoped we were signing. If he doesn't then that is not good for us or him and it will definitely be a waste of money. But if we turn this around and win 10IAR I personally couldn't care less and would be delighted.
He makes too many mistakes for my liking but hes not the only one,Jullien and Ajer have been as bad at times but good to see Ajer doing well at RB.

Middle to front we've far better players than anyone else in the league,its our defence that lets us down.Some of the worst defending ive witnessed from a Celtic team in a long time

Untitled.jpg

He makes too many mistakes for my liking but hes not the only one,Jullien and Ajer have been as bad at times but good to see Ajer doing well at RB.

Middle to front we've far better players than anyone else in the league,its our defence that lets us down.Some of the worst defending ive witnessed from a Celtic team in a long time
Yes, Shane does make too many mistakes. But there are mitigating circumstances (trust me the loss of a father is a very difficult time, made much worse I'd imagine given the current times we live in, and everyone copes with it differently) and we didn't really have any other options at the centre back position.

Plus our tactics and formations emphasised too many players' weaknesses rather than play to their strengths. Defending takes place all over the pitch and there were too many midfield (and even attacking players, as evidenced by the energetic high press that Klimala performed against Lille) not contributing enough.

It might still be that come the end of the season we look back on his time with the club as being a bit of a disaster, but at this time I'm prepared to give him another chance.

Much as he was made of glass, his overall point- this drop in standards, is a repeating point lately, I mean Lee G for fucks sake- too "unfit "to wear a Celtic shirt, the alarm bells were ringing then.

Yes, Shane does make too many mistakes. But there are mitigating circumstances (trust me the loss of a father is a very difficult time, made much worse I'd imagine given the current times we live in, and everyone copes with it differently) and we didn't really have any other options at the centre back position.

Plus our tactics and formations emphasised too many players' weaknesses rather than play to their strengths. Defending takes place all over the pitch and there were too many midfield (and even attacking players, as evidenced by the energetic high press that Klimala performed against Lille) not contributing enough.

It might still be that come the end of the season we look back on his time with the club as being a bit of a disaster, but at this time I'm prepared to give him another chance.
I can testify to that having lost my dad at the start of the year.

Back