St Johnstone v Celtic Match Thread

I was pretty sure when Brendan was interviewed after the game BT Sport - he wasn't asked about the sending off which was weird...or did I miss that bit? I was using alcohol in excess for medicinal purposes - calms the nerves.

I was pretty sure when Brendan was interviewed after the game BT Sport - he wasn't asked about the sending off which was weird...or did I miss that bit? I was using alcohol in excess for medicinal purposes - calms the nerves.

It never came up. Although to be fair I was drinking too. And starving.

I really don't understand what happened last night, so maybe someone who understands tactics and formations could help out?

The difference between the first and second halves, from an attacking perspective, was like night and day.

How come?

Did St Johnstone make a tactical change that allowed us more space - which seemed to open up everywhere - or did we up the tempo and change to a more attacking formation.

I know this is probably a ridiculously stupid query but I just din't know why we suddenly looked like we were on top of our game again in so short a space of time?

Not complaining, by the way ?

Boyata, similar to NCham, deserved his red, walked off the pitch lime a man who had completed his objective. Can't wait till we have a replacement and he leaves.

As long as Morgan is fit, Sinclair must never play again.

Will Brendan Rodgers appeal the Red card & support his player? or will he make him take his punishment
Dunno about the red card but it seems to me every team we play is giving us a hard game! I think Boyata lost his rag out of pure frustration at the team's inability to break down even the poorest of teams. The ref didn't help, but the teams creative ability is non existent!
Will Brendan Rodgers appeal the Red card & support his player? or will he make him take his punishment
Du

I remember the 2nd Home game back against St Johnstone back in February (on a Sunday, as we played Zenit ) it was a dull 0-0 draw, Beaton was the referee that day as well, he allowed St J to kick us all over the park for 90 minutes. Anyway, last night, if he had the yellow in his hand then why did he not show it to Boyata? it looks as if he didn't follow the process, (which should have been one yellow for dissent and a 2nd for not coming over to him when he was called to do so, then the red) he nearly ripped the pocket off his shirt trying to get the red out. I feel Celtic have strong grounds to appeal, hell everyone else is doing it...............

Boyata, similar to NCham, deserved his red, walked off the pitch lime a man who had completed his objective. Can't wait till we have a replacement and he leaves.

I'm adamant that between Lawwell, Congerton and Rodgers they will have a shiny new centre back ready to start for us at the beginning of the January window.

2028/29 January window, that is.

Just reading that Tommy Wright went to Ibrox and played with 2 wingers and they ship 5 and meekly capitulate.

Plays us at home and its cattenacio and they are well up for it.

I guess it's all about priorities.

But it's a great point. Corner kicks are the most overrated thing in football. 2-3% is the conversion rate which means we would have been expected to score between 2.32 and 3.48 goals. Let's say it's the latter.

I think the numbers in the tweet above are a bit off as we have actually played 17 games (6 league, 6 CL qualifying, 2 EL qualifying, 1 EL, 2 League Cup). However let's assume the corner kick number is right.

Our record this season is 10W 4D 3L. Of these, six were decided by a difference of two or more goals, so scoring from a corner kick wouldn't have changed the result (let's assume we wouldn't have scored from more than one corner a game).

From the remaining eleven games, we won four. So scoring a goal there wouldn't have changed anything either.

The seven games we didn't win and were decided by one goal or less (lost at Hearts, Kilmarnock and AEK, drew at St. Mirren, Rosenborg and Suduva, drew AEK home), well the Rosenborg and Suduva matches are inconsequential because we progressed nonetheless. So we end up with five games where scoring from a corner would have changed something.

Five games out of seventeen are 29% of our season so far, and if we have been expected to score 3.48 goals from corner kicks at best, 29% of that is 1.0092 goals.

Which means if we were as good as you would reasonably expect at corners, instead of 10W, 4D, 3L we would currently have at best either a draw more, or a win more. We could have also "spent" our corner goal against AEK and then crash out the CL in the playoff round anyway. Hardly a revolution, eh?

Like I said, corners are overrated. We've got massive issues, but corners can't even sniff the top of the list.

[nerd mode off]

I agree with you. At least about McGregor not playing great recently. I'd like to see Lewis Morgan in his position. HH?

McGregor seems to be a rare case of a player who performs better when he's in and out of the team. I'm a big fan, because he's a clever player, but his best performances have been when he's been drafted in for a particular purpose in a big game; he's not one for cold nights away from home against Scottish teams.

I thought he "disappeared" less last season than he did previously but maybe it's just typical of the general malaise in the camp just now.

Back