STV Thursday night at 11-55pm

There is a programme on STV tomorrow night at 11-55pm called European Cup Winners: The British Pioneers. A look at the early achievements of British clubs in Europe. I’d like to think that Celtic will get a mention.
Without a doubt dungloe67,how could they possibly not mention the British forefathers of this trophy.
One thing the media fail to remember Glasgow Celtic were not only the first British team to reach the European Cup Final,,were also the first British team to reach 2 European Cup Finals..

HH.

Prior to the European Cup, there was the Latin Cup. Between 1949 and 1957 the winners of the Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and French leagues took part in the annual competition. Then in season 1956-57 the European Cup started (so a 2 year overlap) which quickly replaced the Latin Cup. The European Cup continued to be dominated by teams from the old Latin Cup until the 25th May 1967, when Celtic became not only the first British team to win it, but also the first non-Latin team to become champions.

Although we were only the third non-Latin team to compete in the final, it started a great run for north-western European teams as we were joined by Dutch, German and English teams in winning 17 out of the next 18 finals (AC Milan triumphed in 1969 and that was it until Juventus won at Heysel in 1985).

The Lisbon Lions were true pioneers who broke the mould and also played football the way it should be played. If we had lost in 1967 then Inter's turgid ultra-defensive Catenaccio style of anti-football may have dominated and been more widely copied, destroying football as an entertaining spectacle.

Without a doubt dungloe67,how could they possibly not mention the British forefathers of this trophy.
One thing the media fail to remember Glasgow Celtic were not only the first British team to reach the European Cup Final,,were also the first British team to reach 2 European Cup Finals..

HH.
I’ve not watched the programme yet but I’ve been told Celtic were mentioned for 30 seconds. If true. Shocking.

I’ve not watched the programme yet but I’ve been told Celtic were mentioned for 30 seconds. If true. Shocking.

What would we expect from the English when we showed them how to win it, FFS, they even steal our philosophies. Matt Busby would put this shower of shite right if he were alive today. Suprised at Fergie not setting the record straight also been a Scot like Busby.

04c5eec5-6965-46ef-b1ce-e3c5b804f217.jpg

Back