Sweden's Anti-VAR stance, the 50+1 ownership model.

Brimcbhoy

Couple of interesting articles on these subjects, (while its quiet).

Cut an Paste from DR (unfortunately)

Scottish Premiership told what life's REALLY like in comparable league where VAR doesn't exist – the truth of saying NO
Civil war has broken out on these shores as managers and players fume at video technology on a weekly basis

Mats Enquist reckons football could copy golf and consider a rollback on VAR as technology chaos tears apart the Scottish game.

Referees boss Crawford Allan is quitting his post as fires rage over the system and SFA chief Ian Maxwell attempts to dull the flames. Civil war has broken out as managers and players fume at VAR decisions, officials are facing constant criticism for making them and fans are sickened by matches being ruined as they wait for those judgements to be made. Twelve months ago, the former General Secretary of Swedish Professional Football Leagues clearly warned of the dangers of using a system not fine-tuned.

Enquist outlined specifically to Record Sport why his country has said no to the technology. Sweden refuses to budge on their resistance to VAR with fans and clubs uninterested in accepting the stoppages, delays, lack of information and outbreaks of unnecessary controversy. Enquist was almost psychic as regards subsequent incidents in Scotland as he explained: “It’s opening up a new box of decisions and discussions. When is handball a handball?

“We had a decision here in the Euro Conference League when there was a free-kick outside the penalty box. “There was no doubt it was a free-kick, but then it was a VAR red card check. Looking from a slow motion perspective, it looked bad and he got the red card. But I started thinking, ‘How many situations on the pitch are equally the same?’ You could look at many tackles throughout the game and you could say 10 or 15 players would have been red carded.

“Suddenly you get two levels of how to decide things. It is not the technology. It is how you use it.”

Fast forward a year and the very examples Enquist gave still wreck the Scottish game. Enquist has now moved jobs and sports from football to golf and working in his new post as Honorary President at the PGA of Sweden. Reflecting on his comments from a year ago in light of Sweden’s solid stance in Sweden and continued anger in Scotland, he offered an intriguing proposal.

Enquist said last night: “The discussion in golf right now is to have a rollback on the balls and to reduce their performance. Could you have the same discussion on a rollback with VAR? That’s interesting. I have been working with golf a lot. It’s a very conservative sport in the sense that any rule changes take years and years to discuss what the impact is to the sport and how it affects different aspects of the sport.

“The day VAR does the same thing and takes away some of the flaws or irritation moments that affects the sport, it might be an option.”

Asked if Scotland should call a halt to VAR to iron out the issues, Enquist stated: “It is a national decision and I wouldn’t be presumptuous enough to speak for anyone else. I wouldn’t dare to speak for another country, but in Sweden it’s a very definite no. We are waiting still. That’s the status right now.”

It’s not just managers and players that are irritated, but also fans. Sweden takes note of their supporters as, last year, Enquist explained: “You have to be able to implement it so you do not ruin the game itself.

“We are not much if we do not have our supporters with us. Then we are a poor sport. So I think it’s a valid question if the powers that be want to implement VAR. Everyone is supportive of trying to give the referees better tools. But the tools have to work in a way they do not ruin the perception of the match and the enjoyment of the fans.

“It has to be a support, but it cannot be something that changes football radically. So long as you haven’t solved the issue on how you can implement that technology so it doesn’t affect the game for the fans, then there will be quite a strong opposition to it for a long time.”

Kevin Clancy consults the VAR screen
Opinion amongst the punters in Sweden hasn’t changed and their clubs are listening by telling them they do not want it. Enquist continued: “It is quite a big opinion against VAR with the elite clubs and the fans.

Really interesting stuff and steps in the right direction but could it happen here?
I'm.not sure, there's a democracy of fairness and sportsmanship in Sweden and Germany that just doesn't exist here or England.
Here the game no longer belongs to the supporters not for many years.
I sense for things to be similar here we'd have all out war over exactly who owns Scottish football, if the supporters here united together.....and there it is in the first if?
United together?
Celtic, sevco, hearts , hibs ,Aberdeen, sfa, spfl all acting in the interests of the supporters feels a million miles away to me.
Don't mean to be cynical but our clubs and authorities are more interested in one up gamesmanship more likely to stab each other in the back as happened before with the SPL, even were it a good idea if it came from Celtic then many zombies automatically against it and the same for the others.

That the Germans are concerned about falling behind financially and not breaking the 50+1 rule is especially interesting.
There might be more money in the English game but Germany and the bundesliga is the true powerhouse in Europe in the sense of biggest Supporters attendance , its no coincidence Germany is constantly hosting Euros or world cups.
If the Germans hold fast onto this then it could potentially be a game changer for all of European football.
Should bigger clubs like Bayern and others also turn away from Uefa/FIFA's rules on VAR like Sweden then the same ' who owns football argument between the bundesliga and Uefa could potentially happen.
That would have to be a good thing for the game I'd hope in Europe and elsewhere as the game has been high jacked by the Saudi pif and other consortium's and governments ,for now at least it seems they are in control as long as the turnstiles keep on turning.
If they stopped though then those same entities would be left with nothing but huge debts as covid showed whether on tv or in actual attendance football without fans really is nothing.
Scotland would only do it if everyone else was united and reluctantly I'd bet.
The masses of football fans here and England and elsewhere are led by puppets.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back