Taking Celtic to The Next Level

Not sure about selling Taylor if I'm honest I know he got the run around the other night, but other than that he's had some season, and I feel Bernabei is still a project, so selling Taylor and leaving Bernabei as number 1 left back might be a bit risky, and I doubt Taylor would go got much more than a couple of million.

A few other bit part players could move on, but I hope we keep the nucleus of the team together, of the 4 you mentioned mate I would add Hart ( still got at least 3yrs in him) and Hatate to the do not punt club.

H.H
50 shades, selling Taylor has nothing to do with his ability. For me I want a conveyor belt of tallent coming through. When Tierney left it left us with no one. We bought Bolingoli then bought Taylor to replace him. Taylor has taken time to make the position his own.

Taylor is 25 and contracted until 2025, Bernabei is 22 and contracted until 2027. To me Taylor isn't going to get faster at this age, espically for the demanding left back position. So if a good offer comes in, I think it would be good business practice to take it. We paid 3m for Taylor and 4m for Bernabei. Once Bernabei takes Taylor's place in the team, he wont get it back at his age. So while Taylor is in the shop window, and a good offer comes in I would take the money.

The same exact same thought process I have for Josip Juranović and Rolston. Juranović is 27 and Rolston 24.

I think you're at it mate, one minute you say Ange style will cost us against top teams. Then on the other hand say you hope Ange proves you wrong and stays for the long haul????

Did you not take your meds today?
Dont know what you think I'm at?anges style has already cost us in europe this season-but if he sticks with it I hope it bears fruit in time-we are certainly creating chances-but also giving quality teams too much space Imo

50 shades, selling Taylor has nothing to do with his ability. For me I want a conveyor belt of tallent coming through. When Tierney left it left us with no one. We bought Bolingoli then bought Taylor to replace him. Taylor has taken time to make the position his own.

Taylor is 25 and contracted until 2025, Bernabei is 22 and contracted until 2027. To me Taylor isn't going to get faster at this age, espically for the demanding left back position. So if a good offer comes in, I think it would be good business practice to take it. We paid 3m for Taylor and 4m for Bernabei. Once Bernabei takes Taylor's place in the team, he wont get it back at his age. So while Taylor is in the shop window, and a good offer comes in I would take the money.

The same exact same thought process I have for Josip Juranović and Rolston. Juranović is 27 and Rolston 24.
Good points made CR, however one thing to consider is Taylor is Scottish and unless we replace him or any of the other Scots in the squad for that matter with other Scottish or homegrown players we will be short of our quota for European squads.

And honestly 25 ain't that old for a modern professional who looks after himself. But yeah a conveyor belt of talent coming through with the Ange mantra would be the ultimate goal for us I agree.

Dont know what you think I'm at?anges style has already cost us in europe this season-but if he sticks with it I hope it bears fruit in time-we are certainly creating chances-but also giving quality teams too much space Imo
Did Anges style really cost us in Europe? Out of the 8 pot 4 clubs 7 of them finished bottom. Maybe it's not the style but the quality of player at the moment.
In regards Rodgers Champions League attempts he had been with the club for a while. Ange basically hobbled together a team to win the league (or just complete for it). He knows that our team isn't equipped for Europe but he wanted to see which players could handle Europe with his style. From the EGM the players that didn't cope will be quickly moved on.
Also Ange isn't a money manager, he has worked under tight budgets so this challenge isn't new to him. I believe that he will win a European cup (probably Europa) with us, if he's given full control and trust.

We need a really strong centre back. Jenz will never be good enough.

Another Calmac is needed in midfield.

I love both Kyogo & GG because they are both totally committed, but sadly they both fail in the conversion area. We need a consistent goalscorer.

Sadly, none of these 3 positions are easy to fill, but we will be on a different level if we can find them.

Respectfully disagree-ange has a philosophy -just like rogers and mowbray-which will cost us against top teams
Same philosophy as Pep bud he’s got better players plus the cash to buy them we’re trying to develop players to that level we’re creating good scoring chances just not taking them.
We go again with most of this squad and a few newbies we can get to the grail of the last 16
In Ange we trust
Weclome to the noise phuxache you’ll fit in
To the madness

HH 🍀

I love both Kyogo & GG because they are both totally committed, but sadly they both fail in the conversion area. We need a consistent goalscorer.

Sadly, none of these 3 positions are easy to fill, but we will be on a different level if we can find them.
Point 1 At the moment I agree on Jenz, however I'm hoping he can turn it around..

Point 2 Think we might have already in young Matt, not near Calmac yet but I can see him becoming more like him perhaps once Calmac is back and guiding him for a while the way Broonie did with Calmac.

Like you I love both Kyogo and GG for there passion, I'd be more concerned if they were never on the end of the chances but they are and I believe something will click for them and they will turn it around and increase the goal scoring averages.

And on your final point I agree that we will be on a different level but as I said I hope the above mentioned can do it although I'm not averse to knew players coming in in January.

I'm also hopeful that Abligaard is the holding mid that we are missing at the moment.

H.H

1st attempt in Champions league with this squad so I don't think it's as simple as getting all these new players to compete on a higher level as I would suggest whoever Ange brings in might well not have played at CL level as we can see with the markets we are shopping in.
All the talk after this campaign is the experience our bhoys gained will improve and ready them for a better go at it next season.
We have got some great players in there already and the balance will be to hold onto the likes of CCV Jota Hatate O'Riley amongst others.
A few will go from the squad and a few brought in (hopefully gems) and we go again to try and further improve season on season.
I for one love the approach and the continuation of playing our football ....is that not how we won the big cup in the first place? Ange is here for the haul and I am looking forward to see what happens next.

That's the spirit 🙄
Whit ma like-a cure for prozac overdoses-just for a wee while-til we find our sea legs for european competition-benfica done awrite out of finishing below us twice-then getting good runs in the Europa while we were getting knocked out of the big cup-they ended up better ranked than us and got straight in the champs league because of it-method in my madness chief 👍

This was the subject of our big debate this week as we look at what's needed on and off the park for Celtic to move to the next level.

For Ange "the next level" is Champions League progress. The league will always be a priority but think Ange is aiming higher.

What areas do you think we need to improve in most, on and off the park?

Looking at the list there Tino that includes , scouting and recruitment, improvements in sports science, january planning underway , those 3 things are all being taken care of pretty well compared with past versions of the club.

Taking us to the next level, of course means making us a regular in the champions league once more.
With the expansion to the 36 club super league 1st round stage giving 5 home and 5 away games for us this is an absolute must.

After one season I can only wax lyrical about what Ange has brought to Celtic.
It must be remembered that it is only one season and the scouting and recruitment team have spread the net far and wide.
Players from Argentina and Japan have arrived and from the banned Russian premier league.

Many pundits 🤬 them , especially English ones are quick to point out that we only got 2 points from our group .
They fail to recognise the barriers we face and that taking 2 pts from such a group was actually an achievement, looking back at the disastrous situation we were in , in Europe under lenny #2.

I'm extremely happy with the improvements on and off the field of play but we cannot stop nor linger for a moment, especially now our motto is we never stop.
I'm not talking about domestically ( I am but secondarily to Europe ).
There's big changes afoot in European competition and we simply cannot be left behind this time.

That's what happened with WGS and yet he still delivered In Europe when the budget had been cut he really had no right to do so but he did , the board did not and we fell away and asleep at the wheel as the green brigade warned would happen.

Now our primary focus has to be on winning champions league matches, obviously we must take care of domestic business first, that goes for all clubs not privy to automatic qualification outside the big 4 and 5 sky leagues.

Changes were I thought afoot under Rodgers when we began spending the likes of £6, £7 and £9 million for players , something unheard of since Martin O'Neill days.

Now it appears to me at least that the club recognise the football landscape is again changing and are determined not to be left behind this time.
Become a regular champions league club and the TV money will increase , not to EPL standards but it will increase or sky will lose the contract, success on the field breeds success off it.

On the field we have a manager who will take the game to the opposition.
Some , pundits and cynics say this is naive yet show me a successful side who plays any other way.
It's the only way, it's the Celtic way, it's the way forward.
Angeball , through playing in the champions league we have all noticed is how all the top clubs play, fast attacking football.
After 1 season we were almost....almost able to pull off 3rd place in that group which wouldve been outstanding.

It's the target , to be in the champions league winning matches and it's a target that's achievable.
That's not to say we should be winning the champions league, that would be nonsense talk but competing with the best? Certainly.
If Ange can instill such confidence and attract top young talent like he has in such a short space of time, then what he could do for us in 3 - 4 years is an exciting prospect.
He will also likely have a say I'd hope in what type of manager should replace him when he decides hes taken us as far as he can.

Comparing Ange to Rodgers or Mowbray is laughable, especially Mowbray.
Rodgers was successful domestically beyond our wildest imaginations and tbf he came up against the cream of Europe in Bayern, PSG, etc. and the board werent planning in tandem with him.

I've no doubt Ange will deliver domestically though on the scale of Rodgers? Unlikely , I think that was a once in a lifetime experience but he can match WGS's achievements in Europe and make us a last 16 club again.

He has to , it's why hes here, I cant see him leave until he fulfils that mandate, he's backed by the board and the fans , if that continues and Celtic operate as a well oiled machine then the sky's the limit

Whit ma like-a cure for prozac overdoses-just for a wee while-til we find our sea legs for european competition-benfica done awrite out of finishing below us twice-then getting good runs in the Europa while we were getting knocked out of the big cup-they ended up better ranked than us and got straight in the champs league because of it-method in my madness chief 👍
Welcome to the noise Phuxache, I look forward to chewing the fat about all things Celtic that which we all love with you.

Aye , this seasons CL was an unexpected one and will give great experience to our young squad.
These things take time and we will lose players who excel that's part and parcel of all clubs.

That we're ahead of schedule is fantastic and a great learning curve to play some of the very best players Europe has to offer and the very best in Madrid which ( 2 pens against and one missed ) these things can happen to any side against Madrid, look at man city against them last season, thought they were through.

I personally take great heart from our performances in this season's cl and the fact of how disappointed we all were with the final outcome speaks volumes.

COYBIG HH ☘

We could realistically still get 3 good seasons out of Big Joe if he stays fit, he's only 35 I believe, and a guy thats 2 yrs older than him beat him with a penalty the other night and only when he went off did we get back into the game, although one could argue it was Ange's subs but imho they would be wrong.

However my prefared position to be improved would be a defensive Mid and I know we are interested in a left sided CB from the land of the rising sun otherwise that would be a place needing covered.

And unless we are going for the finished article as a striker I dont see the need for a 3rd one as we can utilise Maeda there. Kyogo going through a difficult time at the moment but name me a striker who hasn't, and get GG the right service and he will score.

But most importantly of all is for the directors not to sit on their hands and hope it all works out, we have all seen that video numerous times before, back Ange---- we do, if someone wants to leave make sure we replace them.

H.H
yeh some very good points here @50 Shades of Green

Completely agree about the directors and have been encouraged by how they've backed Ange so far. He seems to have a good relationship with Michael Nicholson particularly.

Joe Hart has been great for Celtic. He's more than capable domestically and a great shot stopper in Europe but if we're targeting higher heights in Europe then a keeper who's sharper with the ball at his feet would be the move (though def not the priority in terms of other areas).

Would like to see a quality striker brought in alongside Kyogo and GG for genuine competition and cover. Don't think Maeda is great in the No.9 at all.

I think Ange wont hesitate to sell some of our players...even our best ones......as long as they are replaced by better players, who can play the Ange way......Ange knows that we should have had more goals in the CL games.......He is determined to prove that his system will work at Euro level.......If better players do come in.....it's all the better for us.......
100% @lennono

Ange has said as much in recent days and don't think he'll be afraid at all to replace some of the big hitters from the current squad if required.

Posted this article on The Celtic Star (thanks to @Winning Captains earlier:

After watching all the champions league games, it's a good time to have a review. The overall concensous was that we missed toO many chances (which the stats and goals highlight). On the flip side we conceeded too many goals and chances too.

Easy there to pick out the issue - the whole team. I'm not in any way throwing anyone under the bus. The team did what I expected, finished bottom. We didn't throw stupid money at the champions league which could have been a hap hazzard process concidering that we have never seen any of them at Champions League level.

Ange came into the club, without a squad and his own backroom staff. He built a team that won the league. Step 1 complete for him. Step 2 was trying out this team at champions league level.

Step 3 will be winning the league again, and preparing the team for another crack at Champions League level.

What we all have to realise is that alot of our team are on very long contracts. And going back to the issues with Champions League level players, I feel that nearly every one of them has a price and nearly everyone of them can be replaced. It's going to be very interesting to see how it goes and who comes in. I feel that Ange won't be making whole sale changes, but by replacing some with extra quality. Exciting times.

Those that I feel are up to champions league standard and can't be sold (I'm not saying winning groupd here, but being very competitive):

Callum McGregor
Cameron Carter-Vickers
Jota
O'Riley

Reo Hatate (probably just below the other 4)

Those that I feel could step up with the experience they've gained (or sold to be re-invested):

Joe Hart
Greg Taylor - good prospect to sell for decent money - (Only because we have Alexander Bernabei in the wings ready)
Josip Juranovic - good prospect to sell for decent money - (Only because we Tony Ralston in the wings ready)
Carl Starfelt
Moritz Jenz
Stephen Welsh
Sead Haksabanovic
Aaron Mooy
David Turnbull
James McCarthy
Yosuke Ideguchi
James Forrest
Georgios Giakoumakis
Kyogo Furuhashi
Liel Abada
Daizen Maeda

Obvioulsy we can't sell and replace all that (and it would be stupid too), but we need to be smart in the transfer market. The only 2 that I would seriously sell at the moment is Taylor and Juranovic - as we would get quite good money for them and have 2 replavements already waiting. Sign up 2 new young prospects to learn. And spend the cash on other areas.

New signings - Goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and striker. Hopefully of better quality (I don't care about the price as that's missleading). Which could leave us with a good squad.
Interesting take on this @CarlisleReiver and think we're definitely going to see the squad evolve again under Ange in January and in the summer.

Will be interesting to see who he's happy to let go but don't think anyone's place is generally safe under him. He like's everyone to be kept on their toes.

A lesson we've (hopefully) learned from the 202/21 season is that if a player's heads gone and he wants to leave (Edouard, Ajer, Christie etc) then let them go and work with the players who are focused on playing their part.

We should look to getting 3rd place in champs league group and drop into Europa-we are nowhere near Champions league level
Got to aim higher than that @Phuxache

Ange has shown progress and if he's backed again in next two windows again then we should see further improvements.

Looking at the list there Tino that includes , scouting and recruitment, improvements in sports science, january planning underway , those 3 things are all being taken care of pretty well compared with past versions of the club.

Taking us to the next level, of course means making us a regular in the champions league once more.
With the expansion to the 36 club super league 1st round stage giving 5 home and 5 away games for us this is an absolute must.

After one season I can only wax lyrical about what Ange has brought to Celtic.
It must be remembered that it is only one season and the scouting and recruitment team have spread the net far and wide.
Players from Argentina and Japan have arrived and from the banned Russian premier league.

Many pundits 🤬 them , especially English ones are quick to point out that we only got 2 points from our group .
They fail to recognise the barriers we face and that taking 2 pts from such a group was actually an achievement, looking back at the disastrous situation we were in , in Europe under lenny #2.

I'm extremely happy with the improvements on and off the field of play but we cannot stop nor linger for a moment, especially now our motto is we never stop.
I'm not talking about domestically ( I am but secondarily to Europe ).
There's big changes afoot in European competition and we simply cannot be left behind this time.

That's what happened with WGS and yet he still delivered In Europe when the budget had been cut he really had no right to do so but he did , the board did not and we fell away and asleep at the wheel as the green brigade warned would happen.

Now our primary focus has to be on winning champions league matches, obviously we must take care of domestic business first, that goes for all clubs not privy to automatic qualification outside the big 4 and 5 sky leagues.

Changes were I thought afoot under Rodgers when we began spending the likes of £6, £7 and £9 million for players , something unheard of since Martin O'Neill days.

Now it appears to me at least that the club recognise the football landscape is again changing and are determined not to be left behind this time.
Become a regular champions league club and the TV money will increase , not to EPL standards but it will increase or sky will lose the contract, success on the field breeds success off it.

On the field we have a manager who will take the game to the opposition.
Some , pundits and cynics say this is naive yet show me a successful side who plays any other way.
It's the only way, it's the Celtic way, it's the way forward.
Angeball , through playing in the champions league we have all noticed is how all the top clubs play, fast attacking football.
After 1 season we were almost....almost able to pull off 3rd place in that group which wouldve been outstanding.

It's the target , to be in the champions league winning matches and it's a target that's achievable.
That's not to say we should be winning the champions league, that would be nonsense talk but competing with the best? Certainly.
If Ange can instill such confidence and attract top young talent like he has in such a short space of time, then what he could do for us in 3 - 4 years is an exciting prospect.
He will also likely have a say I'd hope in what type of manager should replace him when he decides hes taken us as far as he can.

Comparing Ange to Rodgers or Mowbray is laughable, especially Mowbray.
Rodgers was successful domestically beyond our wildest imaginations and tbf he came up against the cream of Europe in Bayern, PSG, etc. and the board werent planning in tandem with him.

I've no doubt Ange will deliver domestically though on the scale of Rodgers? Unlikely , I think that was a once in a lifetime experience but he can match WGS's achievements in Europe and make us a last 16 club again.

He has to , it's why hes here, I cant see him leave until he fulfils that mandate, he's backed by the board and the fans , if that continues and Celtic operate as a well oiled machine then the sky's the limit
This is a brilliant post @Winter and completely with you on just about all of it.

I think we're developing on and off the park at a pretty good rate and if we continue in that upwards trajectory then we should see imporovements ahead of the next UCL campaign.

We covered the new Champions League format in our latest episode (Shameless plug: https://thecelticexchange.com/85) and crucial that we're at that table when it kicks in for the 2024/25 season.

The payment distribution has yet to be confirmed but ultimately it will mean more games, more gate receipts, more tv revenue and more prize money - this is the only way we can hope to bridge the gap with the big boys.

There's no one I'd rather see leading Celtic just now than Ange and genuinely think he's here for the long haul - you can hear it in his recent comments at the AGM amongst others - and think we'll kick on to new levels under his leadership in the next couple of years.

Jens has done ok since coming in but yeh I suspect we need someone of a higher calibre alongside CCV and Starfelt.

Will be interesting to see if Abildgaard steps up in the No.6 after the World Cup break.
Would like a quality No.9 challenging along with Kyogo and GG.

I get ya man. I too am mad. Not in a 'mad wee TS fae Springburn' mental, more of a 'walking through the streets muttering to myself' way. know?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back