Ten Men Won the League, Murdo Macleod dreamt about scoring at the Celtic End

I was there, in the front of the jungle, funnily enough I now sit about a mile higher up in the North stand at home games and like that night I am level with the 18yrd box at the Celtic end, usually near the front of the the jungle you could find a wee bit of room to stand in relative comfort, not that night though, there was no room at the Inn so to speak.

I can still hear myself shouting across to Murdo to hit it into the Celtic end and for a spilt second I thought he had heard me but that time between it hitting the net and the Celtic fans realisation that we had done it was surreal. All you could hear was folk shouting hit it shoot ffs then silence before bedlam, now usually when in the jungle and Celtic scored you ended up about 10ft further down the terrace, however I jumped on my wee mates back and we ended up half way up the terrace.

Another surreal moment in that game was seconds after Johnny Doyle was sent off, one down and a mhan down in what was basically a league decider the fans could be forgiven for losing faith, but the volume of noise that went up from the rear of the jungle was quickly picked up by the rest of us and I still say to this day that that support from the fans when all seemed lost galvanised the team and spurred them on to legend status that night. The fans were amazing and still are.

The Thurs after that Mon night game the huns had a home game against Partick Thistle, the crowd was given as 8,000 and one journalist opined that if 8,000 had paid to get in the 5,000 of them must have turned around and went straight back home without watching the game. 😏 Over the years I have had many a conversation with rankers fans about that although I've never met one who wasn't there. 🤥

H.H

God bless John Doyle.

I was there, in the in the front of the main stand near the pitch level half way from the half way line to the penalty box. I was a 21 yr old medical student and a year away from qualifying. I was using my father's season ticket as he was unable to get to a match played on a Monday night. I was on my own. I had bussed there from Anderston. I knew that there would be no tv pictures of that game so I wanted to sear it into my memory. Sadly most of the memory is gone. I remember the misery of seeing Rangers score first and I remember seeing Doyle stupidly and petulantly kick the arse of a Rangers player at a breakdown in play. The referee brandished a red card with glee. My other memory is when we were leading 3-2 and Murdo got the ball in the final minute. I was right behind him. I screamed at him to take it to the corner or keep possession till the whistle blew any moment soon. Instead he blootered the ball from 25 yards and i assumed he was kicking it into the delerious Celtic end yet and it almost burst the net. I jumped up and hugged a random guy next to me like he was my best friend and when the final whistle blew I was ecstatic. We had won the league. We were herded by the police to the Gallowgate and the Rangers fans were allocated to walk on the London Road. I walked on air and was surrounded by jubilant Celtic fans. As we neared Glasgow Cross the police were there in great numbers and were marshalling the Celtic supporters up High St and the Rangers supporters were being led along Argyle St. I was not wearing colours and managed to convince the coppers to let me walk along Argyle as I lived at the end of it. "Don't even smile son or yer died." I was surrounded by hundreds of disconsolate and angry despairing bears for hundreds of yards till we reached the Heilandsman's Umbrella. Try keeping the grin off your face. I felt ecstatic.

Remember that night very well I was 16 at the time standing just to the right of exit 13 in the Celtic end where Murdo would fire a rocket to seal the victory to cue bedlam.
The winter we had meant we had no football for two months as the snow and ice laid siege to postponed games.
Was not looking good in December as we had alot of ground to make up if I remember rightly but we somehow did.
Here we where our last game of the season against the much fancied huns who only had to draw as they had two games in hand. (2 points for a win in those days so we could go 5 clear)
As 50 said the support was the 11th man that night after Johnny Doyle got sent off.
Standing room only but I swear my feet never touched the ground as I flew into orbit when the 4th goal went in.
The scenes at the end with the players basking in our joy are never to be forgotten.
I shouldve known then that this is what Celtic do to you and it lives with you forever.
Oh what a night when 10 men won the League.💚🤍💛🍀

I was there standing in the Celtic end.
My biggest memory was going home to my dad who was really unwell and breaking the news to him. It was a real uplift for him. God I’m welling up now!
He brought me to Celtic and I now have two sons at least as committed to our cause.
sorry, bit sentimental, but it’s what I remember most. JD getting sent off and Murdo’s goal we’re the two football moments I remember
Hail Hail

What a night that was..i stayed next door to Johnny Doyle's sister Ann Marie for years and i never knew she was his sister till after that night!!..my best memories of fukn thum are of that night 10 men won the league..never to be forgotten..HH

I was there, in the front of the jungle, funnily enough I now sit about a mile higher up in the North stand at home games and like that night I am level with the 18yrd box at the Celtic end, usually near the front of the the jungle you could find a wee bit of room to stand in relative comfort, not that night though, there was no room at the Inn so to speak.

I can still hear myself shouting across to Murdo to hit it into the Celtic end and for a spilt second I thought he had heard me but that time between it hitting the net and the Celtic fans realisation that we had done it was surreal. All you could hear was folk shouting hit it shoot ffs then silence before bedlam, now usually when in the jungle and Celtic scored you ended up about 10ft further down the terrace, however I jumped on my wee mates back and we ended up half way up the terrace.

Another surreal moment in that game was seconds after Johnny Doyle was sent off, one down and a mhan down in what was basically a league decider the fans could be forgiven for losing faith, but the volume of noise that went up from the rear of the jungle was quickly picked up by the rest of us and I still say to this day that that support from the fans when all seemed lost galvanised the team and spurred them on to legend status that night. The fans were amazing and still are.

The Thurs after that Mon night game the huns had a home game against Partick Thistle, the crowd was given as 8,000 and one journalist opined that if 8,000 had paid to get in the 5,000 of them must have turned around and went straight back home without watching the game. 😏 Over the years I have had many a conversation with rankers fans about that although I've never met one who wasn't there. 🤥

H.H

God bless John Doyle.

I went to the game on the Hamilton hibs bus, we were all buzzing drinking away in the pub, but as time went by no bus had appeared, so panic set in phone calls here there and everywhere, but all the busses were on strike, then somebody says that a guy had a mccleellands removal van down the old town,, so there it was about 70 off us piled into the big removal van, we missed kick off but what a game a was up the back off the old celtic end on the xbars at the very back, when Johnny go sent off I thought oh no, that's it over but we came back for the most incredible game off my life, was working the next day so I never went back to the club, Dan gave everybody a free bar, a went home to watch the highlights but the strike payed way for that idea, so there was me home in bed and every other cunt on the removal van got a free bar, an unbelievable night, I will never want to forget

Members online

No members online now.

Back