The Back 4 & The Ntcham Conundrum.

Shadow2

One big thing to come out of last night was it threw up some answers and some questions about who should be playing and where.

Though the back 4 wasn't tested that much when it was it looked far more solid and settled and all without having a detrimental effect on our attacking capability down the flanks. Elhamed and Bitton's inclusion seemed to settle the back-line, they were better positioned, they were calmer and more assured and more importantly they were less exposed as Elhamed and Taylor got the balance between their defensive and attacking duties just right. Given the worries about our defence recently I think that back 4 last night is our strongest and best option from here on in.

Now to Ntcham......the guy is simply too good not to be in the starting 11! But how do you fit him in there?

Ntcham & Broony doesn't work, been there done that and it was a bust plus we cannae afford to drop a player like CalMac as he's too important to how we play.

Ntcham and CalMac does work and works really well but neither of them can do what Broony does. Without Broony we lose our bite and that player who battles, snaps at heels, gets in the faces of the opposition and offers that extra bit of protection to the back 4.

Ntcham instead of Christie? Just presents the same problem as before. Christie is too good not to be starting plus Ntcham and Christie are different players with different styles, each player offers a different type of threat and choosing one threat over the other means using completely different strategies. Having both those threats on the pitch at once would not only open up our attacking options but it could make us far more potent and clinical all over the pitch.

So given we want Ntcham in there but don't want to lose either Broony, CalMac or Christie from the starting 11 and we don't want to compromise what so far looks a more solid back-line could this 👇 work?

4141.png

Gives us a solid back 4, we don't lose the midfield bite and the protection to the back 4 Broony provides, we get the intelligent clever play and passing ability of both Ntcham and CalMac, we keep our width, we don't have to compromise by giving up the threat Christie provides and we have 4 dangerous players supplying Eddy who have the ability to link up well, have an eye for a pass that can carve a team open and provide a goal threat of their own.

Thoughts.....

Last edited:
Mo starts out on the left for me, especially after last nights performance. Quite happy for Ntcham and Christie to rotate where necessary.

As for Bitton at the back, not a bad option against lower SPFL teams, comfortably come into midfield with the ball and can pick a pass to unlock teams that sit. Still think he would give me a heart attack against better opposition in Europe etc.

One big thing to come out of last night was it threw up some answers and some questions about who should be playing and where.

Though the back 4 wasn't tested that much when it was it looked far more solid and settled and all without having a detrimental effect on our attacking capability down the flanks. Elhamed and Bitton's inclusion seemed to settle the back-line, they were better positioned, they were calmer and more assured and more importantly they were less exposed as Elhamed and Taylor got the balance between their defensive and attacking duties just right. Given the worries about our defence recently I think that back 4 last night is our strongest and best option from here on in.

Now to Ntcham......the guy is simply too good not to be in the starting 11! But how do you fit him in there?

Ntcham & Broony doesn't work, been there done that and it was a bust plus we cannae afford to drop a player like CalMac as he's too important to how we play.

Ntcham and CalMac does work and works really well but neither of them can do what Broony does. Without Broony we lose our bite and that player who battles, snaps at heels, gets in the faces of the opposition and offers that extra bit of protection to the back 4.

Ntcham instead of Christie? Just presents the same problem as before. Christie is too good not to be starting plus Ntcham and Christie are different players with different styles, each player offers a different type of threat and choosing one threat over the other means using completely different strategies. Having both those threats on the pitch at once would not only open up our attacking options but it could make us far more potent and clinical all over the pitch.

So given we want Ntcham in there but don't want to lose either Broony, CalMac or Christie from the starting 11 and we don't want to compromise what so far looks a more solid back-line could this 👇 work?

View attachment 10683

Gives us a solid back 4, we don't lose the midfield bite and the protection to the back 4 Broony provides, we get the intelligent clever play and passing ability of both Ntcham and CalMac, we keep our width, we don't have to compromise by giving up the threat Christie provides and we have 4 dangerous players supplying Eddy who have the ability to link up well, have an eye for a pass that can carve a team open and provide a goal threat of their own.

Thoughts.....

My thoughts are ....you've given me a sore heid noo. I'd like to see Pingpong take on Forrest's role and see how well he does further forward.

Good set up Shadow2 the defence did look solid when called upon.
but Bitton strolled the game and tends-to stroll every game in whatever position he’s asked to play.
Elyanoussi plays as well if I was gonna rotate anyone it would be Broonie give him as much rest so we get the best out of him. Use Ntcham I would also use Frimpong further up the pitch to push Jamsie
But thank fuck I’m no a manager cause better people oan here will pick holes in the Above
So NFL has a hard job

ps Would go back in for Turnbull ASAP

HH 🍀

Mo starts out on the left for me, especially after last nights performance. Quite happy for Ntcham and Christie to rotate where necessary.

As for Bitton at the back, not a bad option against lower SPFL teams, comfortably come into midfield with the ball and can pick a pass to unlock teams that sit. Still think he would give me a heart attack against better opposition in Europe etc.

Naw I like Moi and have been saying he would come good Mic but would expect him and Christie to be going head to head for a place in the starting 11 (Christie & Moi have a similar style but Christie just shades it for now on past form) rather than Ntcham and Christie as they're completely different players.

Same on the right with Forrest, would be expecting wee Frimpong to be challenging him for his place.

Personally I'd take Bitton at CB both domestically and in Europe over Ajer. Ajer gets caught napping and out of position far too often and it almost always results in him being stretched and having to lunge into risky tackles, aye they look great when they come off but they put us at risk of giving away cheap free kicks and penalties.

HH mate (y)

I suppose what I'm driving at here is 3 at the back looks unbalanced and leaves us exposed, the back line looks more solid with the back 4 of Elhamed, Jullien, Bitton and Taylor. Ntcham is too good to be sitting on the bench but if you pull Broony, Calmac or Christie to accommodate him the team loses a specific edge.

What I'm suggesting above keeps that solid back 4, keeps Broony, CalMac and Christie on the pitch without compromising the competitive edge each one offers while still finding a place in the team for Ntcham.

Also as Ntcham and CalMac are both clever players with a bit of vision who are more than capable of a defence splitting pass and both Forrest and Christie are capable of going down the flanks or cutting inside this could make us not only more clinical but varied in our attacks and provide far more opportunities for Eddy in front of goal.

I'm not saying we should use this in every game but I think it would work well in Europe and against the huns in particular. I think it gives us that security at the back without compromising our attacking capabilities and allows us to get all our best players into the starting 11 at once.

Ye do know if you see this line-up anytime soon then it means I've stealthily took out Lenny with a tranquilliser dart, locked him in a cupboard at Lennoxtown, donned a Mission Impossible style Lenny disguise and replaced him on the touchline right! 👥 :sneaky:

View attachment 10683

Thoughts.....
Andy, I'd be inclined to move El Hamed into the centre and take out big Kris. He's aggressive and comfortable on the ball. In fact, I'd be quite as happy moving big Kris up one into the holding midfield role as a ready made replacement for the Captain.

I don't have any issues with big Nir, but he's one of those lads that are a bit too versatile for their own good.

We have to find a way of getting our most effective players on the park, and moving the hat in and the viking up allows a slot for wee Jeremie too. I guess there's also an option to move Jeremie up one and take wee Jamesie out for a bit too?

Hey.........that's what the boss gets the big bucks for, I guess.

Love the insights and ideas though, Andy.........been missing that too

Andy, I'd be inclined to move El Hamed into the centre and take out big Kris. He's aggressive and comfortable on the ball. In fact, I'd be quite as happy moving big Kris up one into the holding midfield role as a ready made replacement for the Captain.

I don't have any issues with big Nir, but he's one of those lads that are a bit too versatile for their own good.

We have to find a way of getting our most effective players on the park, and moving the hat in and the viking up allows a slot for wee Jeremie too. I guess there's also an option to move Jeremie up one and take wee Jamesie out for a bit too?

Think we are going to see a bit of moving about with the squad due to the amount of games, if you look at the subs the other night, all positions were covered El hammad gives us the option like a chessboard player he can move right to left comfortably or centre back, this meant we had cover for Taylor had been inhured wee Frimpong would have stepped into right El hammod moves across, all subs were attack and midfield to give us a balance without having to change and go like for like with fresh legs.

Watch for United changing their formation and return of laurence of Arabia up front on his own.

1597870301054.png

Mo can also be an option playing in behind Eddy and at the front end of midfield.

I'm a big fan of Corpus, but it's beginning to look like he believes his own hype, as he's trying too hard to play a 'worldie' with every ball. I'm not knocking it. I love the ambition, but you still have to back it up with at least 2 or 3 cutting passes per game. Mo is always looking to get in behind, so I wouldn't see it as a major issue if he played a few games at the tip domestically.

Good to see you back on SP. Hope you and yours are good mate (y)

Aye Elhamed is definitely capable of moving into central defence but I prefer him at RB as wee Frimpong is a bit too slight and attack minded to play there, would prefer to see the wee man challenging Forrest for his spot.

I agree with you on Ajer. I've been banging on for ages that I think Ajer is a Centre Mid and that BR made a mistake converting him into a CB. I get it was out of necessity at the time but I always thought it robbed us of a big solid CM and successor to Broony. It would just be about getting the timing right on that one as I still think Broony has another year in the tank.

Bitton I quite like at CB, I prefer him to Ajer in there as I think he calms everything down a bit and his judgement is better. He takes up better positions and is better at reading what's going on around him but if another CB was to come in during the transfer window then his spot at CB would be up for grabs.

All this stemmed from watching Ntcham last night, I think we're missing a trick not having him in the starting 11 and was wondering if there was a way to do it without having to sacrifice either Broony, CalMac or Christie.

I trust the gaffer but I'd love to see Lenny try this out at least once to see how it went, failing that I may have to use that tranquilliser dart and Lenny disguise :LOL:(y)

Some good points put across but to throw a spanner in the works which Ntcham are we talkin about , the one who has just turned up or the one who dosen't seem interested and let's the game pass him bye

If we had the Ntcham giving 100% for the hoops he'd be the first name down on the team sheet

we need someone to put the shitters up wee jamsie would love to give frimpong a run up front to show what he can do

Ajer moved into midfield and ethamed and bitton in defence is a no brainer they can pick a pass bring a calmness and don't panic under pressure

When Ajer was a lad in Norway he played at centre forward. We will need to have players who are versatile at times. Some of our regular first team will be injured or suspended and I can see cover for most spots except for left back. I don't think Boli will ever be back.

Some good points put across but to throw a spanner in the works which Ntcham are we talkin about , the one who has just turned up or the one who dosen't seem interested and let's the game pass him bye

If we had the Ntcham giving 100% for the hoops he'd be the first name down on the team sheet

we need someone to put the shitters up wee jamsie would love to give frimpong a run up front to show what he can do

Ajer moved into midfield and ethamed and bitton in defence is a no brainer they can pick a pass bring a calmness and don't panic under pressure

Obviously the good Ntcham Kelly :LOL:

Naw it's a fair point mate. Could be that the lack of regular game time cost him his match sharpness and any chance of hitting some form, tough to get a foothold in games when that sharpness isn't there and it's impossible to hit any sort of form when you're in the team one week then out the next 3 or 4.

There was probably a bit of frustration from Ntcham with the whole situation. Needed to play more to get the sharpness levels up but wasn't making enough of an impact when he did play to justify being given a game.

We know he can be a class act when he's on it and I reckon if he's given a decent run in the right set-up we'd see that quality more regularly. Worth a shot at least.

Back