The Back 4 & The Ntcham Conundrum.

You are getting Ollie all wrong, of course he’s not as skilled as a Larsson, or an brutal centre forward like hartson, but he does have one skill we don’t have....pace to burn, gives defenders something else to think about, they have to sit deeper, opens up the midfield, stretches the field, nothing frightens a defender like speed , I’d have him back in a heartbeat.....

You are getting Ollie all wrong, of course he’s not as skilled as a Larsson, or an brutal centre forward like hartson, but he does have one skill we don’t have....pace to burn, gives defenders something else to think about, they have to sit deeper, opens up the midfield, stretches the field, nothing frightens a defender like speed , I’d have him back in a heartbeat.....
If he could shoot with his head and if his head wasn't an oxo cube, then you might be onto something, BB.

This in a nutshell.....there’s no doubt Ntcham is a class player at times.....what Ntcham has to prove to Neil Lennon is that he is a warrior who is up for the battle when needed.....the Ntcham that plays on the periphery of the game is a luxury we cannot afford.....the other points made are worthy of serious consideration too...
Ntcham oozes class but i think he needs to add a little " bite" to his game. Broony in his defence has all the bite(and then some) and constantly monitors for danger and cuts it off.

Bit harsh there, Doc. The big fella was just following the 'Forest Gump guide to running aimlessly and without direction" manual.

Rumour has it, that he's just crossed the Gobi Desert without even having had a pish!
Thanks SP, I was wondering where he got his "tactical" approach from. I thought it was "How not to defend" by Phillip Senderawful, or " How to shit-yir-pants when facin Broony" by Jobby Barton.
Both titles currently available (audio versions available for the hard of reading) at your local Masonic library.

I won't be too harsh on Ajer as he is still young for a CB and he has mostly been very good for us. As many have pointed out though, he does dive in too often and gets caught out of position sometimes, and he struggles on the left side.

Elhamed and Biton guve a calm assurance to the defence but I would worry about the lack of pace. Also, would it make us too defensive against too many Scottish opponents? Frimpong can push further up as Forrest's best performances were when he was being challenged for his place.

Broony will still play three quarters of our games this season but we need to manage him properlyvto get the most from him and to prepare for when he eventually does move into our coaching staff.

Can we play Broony with Ntcham and CalMac in front. I hope so and think it may work against better quality opposition. I am still a big fan of Christie but think he isn't so effective too wide. For most domestic games and some European matches I'd go 2 up front to give Eddy more space to work with.

It is a good problem to have, but I think MD came up with the best solution in how to fit in so many talented players, and that is to start with 12 players!

I won't be too harsh on Ajer as he is still young for a CB and he has mostly been very good for us. As many have pointed out though, he does dive in too often and gets caught out of position sometimes, and he struggles on the left side.

Elhamed and Biton guve a calm assurance to the defence but I would worry about the lack of pace. Also, would it make us too defensive against too many Scottish opponents? Frimpong can push further up as Forrest's best performances were when he was being challenged for his place.

Broony will still play three quarters of our games this season but we need to manage him properlyvto get the most from him and to prepare for when he eventually does move into our coaching staff.

Can we play Broony with Ntcham and CalMac in front. I hope so and think it may work against better quality opposition. I am still a big fan of Christie but think he isn't so effective too wide. For most domestic games and some European matches I'd go 2 up front to give Eddy more space to work with.

It is a good problem to have, but I think MD came up with the best solution in how to fit in so many talented players, and that is to start with 12 players!
Big Kris has all the attributes and the skillset to be a top class defender, BB. Unfortunately - there are certain games where he looks like a converted midfielder. His natural instinct is still to ball watch and he lets attacking players get in front of him at crosses far too easily.

These are things that can be ironed out, but I firmly believe that he could be a top, top quality holding midfielder who is comfortable on the ball and can take it for a wee walk too.

This season is going to be really condensed and I think we have to fully utilise the squad and take advantage of the 5-subs rule. We need as many players to get as many minutes as possible, so that everyone can hit the ground running if the situation demands it. The depth of our squad should be the gamebreaker this season, but Lenny has to recognise that there are a couple of ageing players who won't manage three games a week for the duration of the season. Much as I hate to forfeit any competition, this season has extra significance and I'll take only one trophy this season with the sole demand that it is the League title.

Big Kris has all the attributes and the skillset to be a top class defender, BB. Unfortunately - there are certain games where he looks like a converted midfielder. His natural instinct is still to ball watch and he lets attacking players get in front of him at crosses far too easily.

These are things that can be ironed out, but I firmly believe that he could be a top, top quality holding midfielder who is comfortable on the ball and can take it for a wee walk too.

This season is going to be really condensed and I think we have to fully utilise the squad and take advantage of the 5-subs rule. We need as many players to get as many minutes as possible, so that everyone can hit the ground running if the situation demands it. The depth of our squad should be the gamebreaker this season, but Lenny has to recognise that there are a couple of ageing players who won't manage three games a week for the duration of the season. Much as I hate to forfeit any competition, this season has extra significance and I'll take only one trophy this season with the sole demand that it is the League title.
Totally agree with everything, pal. It echoes what I've been saying forva while. Lenny has to be more sensible with managing his substitutions (and I don't mean bringing on a striker in the 87th minute). We have a lot of games and a large squad so use the 5 subs to keep players fresh and keep as many fringe players as possible involved and march fit.

Big Kris will come good but as you say, maybe more in a Patrick Viera role than as CB. But Broony and Soro are ahead of him in the pecking order for holding midfielder.

I’ve heard us linked with Burke!

Is it just me that thinks Lenny is making signings to set up a 3-5-2, rather than build a squad that is strong/flexible enough to play either that or the one we’ve been used to? Elyounoussi seems to buck that idea though.

Christie also plays well enough on the RW, could be an option for Forrest. A CB and L & RW would suit me for the season ahead. Wonder if the Toney deal is dead. Was surprised our big header of the baw Bayo is away on loan where I think we need that option at times.

I’ve heard us linked with Burke!

Is it just me that thinks Lenny is making signings to set up a 3-5-2, rather than build a squad that is strong/flexible enough to play either that or the one we’ve been used to? Elyounoussi seems to buck that idea though.

Christie also plays well enough on the RW, could be an option for Forrest. A CB and L & RW would suit me for the season ahead. Wonder if the Toney deal is dead. Was surprised our big header of the baw Bayo is away on loan where I think we need that option at times.
hqdefault.jpg

Members online

Back