THE GOOD OLD DAYS

Hahaha.......I remember him shaking his head in disbelief. The story goes that he ripped right into them in the dressing room and when Gellately tried to take them out for a meal, Big Tam put the kaibosh on it.i

Dundee were virtually relegated at that point and I think that result hastened Big Tam's departure fae the scene of the crime.

Do you remember they done it again after the Centenary season?

1-0 up at half-time then DFC went all Real Madrid and finished up winning 4-1

Yes I remember that too SP, and when Dundee beat the old Rangers 2 - 1 and Boyack got the winner (yes, know you might not remember them, it's so long ago that the Rangers died) I really though Dundee would stay up and give me another 2 'home games' watching Celtic!
It's pure dead great, no having tae go tae Glesca' EVERY week and get a break frae aw' ra drevvin' there 'n back...
worse was I put a wee bet on The Dee's would stay up.... and lost it.
Dixon, the Dundee owner had had enough and went back to his ice hockey in Canada.

Yes I remember that too SP, and when Dundee beat the old Rangers 2 - 1 and Boyack got the winner (yes, know you might not remember them, it's so long ago that the Rangers died) I really though Dundee would stay up and give me another 2 'home games' watching Celtic!
It's pure dead great, no having tae go tae Glesca' EVERY week and get a break frae aw' ra drevvin' there 'n back...
worse was I put a wee bet on The Dee's would stay up.... and lost it.
Dixon, the Dundee owner had had enough and went back to his ice hockey in Canada.
Same with the Arabs, JC......another couple of home games for us!

Knowing our luck though, it's more likely that they two will be swapping places at the end of the season.

Being stuck in Glasgow till midnight on a freezing Wednesday night loses its appeal after a while. 10 minutes up the road sounds good to me.

Ron Dixon and his Dundee revolution???

Completely rebuild Dens to make it the most modern stadium in the UK with an ice-rink, hotel and seven bars.

Only bars that fecker should have seen were the ones on his cell and he still wasn't as crooked as wee Angus Cook (won't mention the M***s, they'll probably sue)

Awww, he is an absolute goldmine, B!!!

Had the pleasure of sharing a few pints with JC and if you ever get the opportunity, grab it with both hands.

Font of knowledge and wisdom along with being a great raconteur.

Not shy at putting his hands in his pocket either, which is a rarity in Dundee.

To SP and Benignus, your words are both far too generous and kind, and I don't deserve it though it is appreciated.
Not sure why I can't forget ANYTHING, but it plagues me more than it is a blessing.
I remember far too much, and in colour!!!
The vivid clarity of many bad things as well as the good, more than cancel them out. It's just not worth having, and though I'm a happy person...... mainly.....I would be better off without it.
My father's death, was very upsetting for me and just can't get rid of the memories that I don't want to keep.
Of course, if I've never heard of something, nor witnessed it, or not told of an event....then I just won't know about it...and can't comment.

My mother said its because I had a very traumatic incident at 5 months old, when I was crawling on the kitchen floor and my older brother burst in from outside after excitedly returning from Italy.
He pushed the door so hard it ran right over the top of my fingers and they couldn't free them. He couldn't know I was on the other side.....and so close to the door...
I remember it...and can STILL see my father...hardly in from Italy, from a tiresome flight and road trip home......via Abbottsinch airport....old Glasgow airport.......
He had a screwdriver in his hand frantically trying to unscrew the hinges and lift up the door!..... freeing my fingers.
Of course, screaming the place down didn't help but after a few cuts and little bit of blood it ended well with no bones broken.
Since then, I'm not certain if it caused a heightened sense of attention to detail but it sure is a good feeling to win quizzes and competitions in the Fort bar especially when the local huns are in.....and THEY know I'm a rabid Celtic fan!
..... except if it's an Eastenders, Coronation st., Brookside, I'm a celeb etc., question....I wouldn't have a clue....it's personal, but I couldn't waste a split second of my life watching anything, or progs like them......I'll leave that to the unwashed hun...after all they need as much soap as they can get!
Hail Hail boys and thanks again.

Last edited:
JC, I've got a question.....

I was watching an American show the other day and I noticed that the head of photography was a fella called Mike Roncone (I don't have total recall and I can't remember the show just now).

I know that John Mordente's boy had a photography studio in Albert Street and I also recall that one of the Roncone's had an interest too. Do you know if there is any connection there, or is that just a coincidence?

Same with the Arabs, JC......another couple of home games for us!

Knowing our luck though, it's more likely that they two will be swapping places at the end of the season.

Being stuck in Glasgow till midnight on a freezing Wednesday night loses its appeal after a while. 10 minutes up the road sounds good to me.

...and swallow a few jars afterwards before the homebound travelling Celtic fans have reached the Swallow roundabout !!!!

It's fargin' great mate.....and THEN....walking home......oh ya beauty......to steal a turn of phrase!

Not looking good for Dundee, but now that Mc Cann is bumped, I hope it sickens him if the Dee's stay up!
Yeah, hoping Dundee United get up again too ....then I'll go to see Celtic get another 'free'' twelve points at 'home' between 4 visits to Dens and Tannadump!

Oh.....and big Ron Dixon's Greyhound track......that lasted longer than the dogs that the cruel bastards owned, got fed up of them, and dumped..on the streets afterwards!!
A pal who worked in the Brown street kennels said the place was full of them, when the races closed for the night.

Ps.....I'm not the quickest at typing... so apologies for this being posted ages after your replies are.

Last edited:
Ah , the Good Old Days :

when games kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday ;
when teams played home and away on alternate weekends ;
when we stood on the terracing smelling the pish that was soaking into our shoes ;
when we swayed up and down the terracing as the goals rained in ;
when wee boys were sent down to the front to see the game ;
when wee boys ( and some not so wee ) collected bottles to get the 'deposit' back from the shop ;
when we checked the Citizen and the Times for the other teams scores ;
when only football players wore football shirts ;
when the transfer window was the one Big Jock put you through if you didn't play well.....

JC, I've got a question.....

I was watching an American show the other day and I noticed that the head of photography was a fella called Mike Roncone (I don't have total recall and I can't remember the show just now).

I know that John Mordente's boy had a photography studio in Albert Street and I also recall that one of the Roncone's had an interest too. Do you know if there is any connection there, or is that just a coincidence?

There were two Mordente families in Dundee way back then and both as far as a know were related, and brothers. Now, there are many different unrelated Mordentes.
One.....old John Mordente, had a dentist's on Lochee high st and above what is now a money lenders...next to, and slightly down from the now closed Royal Bank.
Commonly known as ' Mordenture' he was pals with my father and why I had to go to him for my dental check ups.
As a dentist, he terrified everyone, was as rough as boar's shit, and as suttle as Heinrich Himmler......but got the job done.
The other Mordente had the Amalfi chipper on Arklay St after buying it in 1961 from my dad.
I know you'll remember that one.
The Roncone's had the chipper on Alexander St at the corner of Wellington, and closed down a few years ago....all were visitors to the old Club Romano which held 'court' under St Andrews Cathedral on the Perth rd.....back in the day.
I honestly don't know of a connection between them, but can remember going to the photography shop at the top of Albert st and Morgan Tce near the chemists for 35 mm film spools..but don't recall it being an Italian proprietary.
The rest is uncanny!
But, you SP, have massaged my cerebral memonic meanderings.

Please allow me to iterate.

My older sister went out with a Lorenzo Roncone in the 70's, who moved to America in the 80's, and split up with him because she said he was too gorgeous to trust. She also said he always drew the attention of every girl they passed, and would always smile pleasantly at them....even to their mothers...... there were often guys starting fights with him for little reason. He just smiled that cocky way he had and walked on.
I knew he went to John Rodgers 'Tae Kwan Do' training gym in the presbytery of St Mary's chapel on Ann St and could look after himself.... if you can remember John Rodgers, an absolute gentleman, and arguably Dundee's best street fighter, and supremely fit.

At a frac under 6 foot 4, Lorenzo was about 24 ...the fucking dead spit of a young Frank Sinatra, and did he know AND use it!
But....Lorenzo always wanted to be John Travolta.....
In my opinion he was much darker haired and eyed to be a Sinatra, and....I still say he looked more of Rocky... Sylvester Stallone clone...just taller.
He sometimes had this "look at me" grin with the flawless big teeth smile....that showed just how ridiculous he was.
When in the Windsor bar on a night out, I saw him brushing his teeth in the toilets.....he was gone so long, I went to look for him, and caught him putting the brush quickly back in his pocket.
But whatever he did....it worked!

Friday June 2nd 1978.
When I was 18, we went to Tiffanys nightclub, and Grease was on at the ABC Seagate cinema.
The only time I went there with him, there were a whole table of girls from the Murraygate Marks and Spencers branch on a hen night out.
Every guy in the place was watching them and there were a few darlings in there, for sure!
The next bit SP, is exactly as I tell it.

It didn't take long though, but...didn't turn out the way I thought!
One girl, came towards us, as if to go to the toilet, but went a longer way round..... just to pass us. She stopped to chat and opened with do you know you look like John Travolta, has any one ever told you that?
I looked at Lorenzo and waited for him to answer her.
He then looked at me and said, "are you going to answer her"?
I looked back at her, she was stunning, but I was already seeing someone who I thought was to die for, ....but she was asking me the question.
I said to her " yes, a few times" ....which was true but not so's it affected me.
I always wanted to be liked.....for the way I was, not for looking like Elvis, Travolta, or Shakin' Stevens.
Anyway that pissed Lorenzo right off, and later said " that's why this place is known as Tiffanys...... two fannys.... Don't pick up one fanny, pick up two fannys"....he was seriously upset!!!!!
...and he wouldn't go back there again.
......my sisters, said to me please don't turn out like him......
To be fair to them....I haven't, to be fair to him he wasn't that bad a guy......and when I went to South Africa after a very good friend of mine had died, I heard he'd gone to live in the USA.
Somehow, I expect to see him standing alongside Donald Trump......someday .....soon...

I could go on about Lorenzo.....he was a stoater......too good looking for the UK, ...but I'll tell you some more.... if you want to hear, next time we're havin' a beer.
Cheers mate.....Brought Ferry tonight.....
Well SP, .....it was Bill C who started it.!.....He did ask....

Last edited:
Ah , the Good Old Days :

when games kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday ;
when teams played home and away on alternate weekends ;
when we stood on the terracing smelling the pish that was soaking into our shoes ;
when we swayed up and down the terracing as the goals rained in ;
when wee boys were sent down to the front to see the game ;
when wee boys ( and some not so wee ) collected bottles to get the 'deposit' back from the shop ;
when we checked the Citizen and the Times for the other teams scores ;
when only football players wore football shirts ;
when the transfer window was the one Big Jock put you through if you didn't play well.....

Exactly....... just as it happened.......

10/10. mate.

Hahaha......that is brilliant!!!

Tiffany's was something else, I thought a' the lassies wore fishnets until I realised it was just holes and ladders in their tights.

Mid to late 80's was my first sniff of it. Lassies were all about 6'4" too with their stiletto pixie boots on.

Then there was the Grove, JC......had the big barracuda maw at the entrance from when it was.......the barracuda!

That was the mullet and day-glo era and it it was like good taste took a holiday for a few years.

Can't say I knew Lorenzo, but if it's who I think it was, then he had that 10-bob Travolta swagger that you could buy fae ASDA.

They were the days, JC.......there was a proper innocence about it and you had to work the patter. No such thing as a chat-up nowadays, it's all about Facebook and texting.

You haven't lived until you've been slapped a few times and had a couple of babychams poured over your napper!

Tiffany's was something else, I thought a' the lassies wore fishnets until I realised it was just holes and ladders in their tights.

Mid to late 80's was my first sniff of it. Lassies were all about 6'4" too with their stiletto pixie boots on.

Then there was the Grove, JC......had the big barracuda maw at the entrance from when it was.......the barracuda!

That was the mullet and day-glo era and it it was like good taste took a holiday for a few years.

Can't say I knew Lorenzo, but if it's who I think it was, then he had that 10-bob Travolta swagger that you could buy fae ASDA.

They were the days, JC.......there was a proper innocence about it and you had to work the patter. No such thing as a chat-up nowadays, it's all about Facebook and texting.

You haven't lived until you've been slapped a few times and had a couple of babychams poured over your napper!

Lorenzo, was a good guy, but was probably best described using a phrase not around in those days.

We all like a bit of positive feedback, but he took adulation to the enth degree. His head was so far up his own backside, he had to stick his fingers up his arse to bite his nails.
But we had some good times.
His own cousin, Luca, once asked to come out with us for a beer, when I heard Lorenzo reply, " aww please, I wouldn't let you walk beside me to carry my suitcases". But there was a lot to like about him as well.

Oh yes, they were great days,
The coconut Grove was marvellous great memories, but....the best one for me was Destihl......known as Destihl's.........
AAAHHHHHHH.
Think I'll have a wee mope before I'm out Later. SP

A good slap kept you in check SP, espesh if it was from a girl you had a crush on.
Me, you might not believe it, but I always tried to be polite, and carry myself with an educated deportment.....it didn't always work...I only really wanted a laugh....and that worked! I knew she was the wrong girl, when she threw a pint over me, never noticed the babysham...or maybe it was!

I'm not sure, but you maybe we're a bit young to know Lorenzo...think he had left for the Yank bank by then..about '82....or '83.
I don't use Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or whatever, takes all my time to get through the Celtic sites.
Have to be careful now, Maria, might come round and knock us about correcting the error of our ways!
Good times, and their not coming back bud!

A good slap kept you in check SP, espesh if it was from a girl you had a crush on.
Me, you might not believe it, but I always tried to be polite, and carry myself with an educated deportment.....it didn't always work...I only really wanted a laugh....and that worked! I knew she was the wrong girl, when she threw a pint over me, never noticed the babysham...or maybe it was!

I'm not sure, but you maybe we're a bit young to know Lorenzo...think he had left for the Yank bank by then..about '82....or '83.
I don't use Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or whatever, takes all my time to get through the Celtic sites.
Good times and their not coming back bud!
Hahaha......I veered towards the bullshit range of chatting-up.

One night in Arthur's, I was making decent inroads and the chat got round to line of work. Just for a wee change, I decided to deviate from the neurosurgeon route and thought it would be cool to be a social worker for the night.

Jesus........that lassie had a hook like Tyson and started screaming about: "getting her bairns back" and how social workers were "bastards".

Not sure whether I was disappointed or relieved, but I had a massive keeker to show for it!

I was just talking to my mate there, JC. He reckons the fella I referred to was called Giovanni. He was a poser though and a decent defender to boot.

Hahaha......I veered towards the bullshit range of chatting-up.

One night in Arthur's, I was making decent inroads and the chat got round to line of work. Just for a wee change, I decided to deviate from the neurosurgeon route and thought it would be cool to be a social worker for the night.

Jesus........that lassie had a hook like Tyson and started screaming about: "getting her bairns back" and how social workers were "bastards".

Not sure whether I was disappointed or relieved, but I had a massive keeker to show for it!

I was just talking to my mate there, JC. He reckons the fella I referred to was called Giovanni. He was a poser though and a decent defender to boot.

Ha Ha Ha. SP.
Just stopped laughing at your reference to 'wooling' the burds, it was hilarious.
Have a similar account while working in Renfield St Halfords, across from the pavilion, Glasgow back in '84, with a pal called Paddy, on a night over at a club in Eglinton.......that's all I can say on here at the mo, but remind me to tell you in private next time we're out.

Mmmmm?
... that's interesting about the name Giovanni.
Have to discuss that one........
Wonder where he drank, and who he knew?
Picking up the missus, bud ..chat again.

To SP and Benignus, your words are both far too generous and kind, and I don't deserve it though it is appreciated.
Not sure why I can't forget ANYTHING, but it plagues me more than it is a blessing.
I remember far too much, and in colour!!!
The vivid clarity of many bad things as well as the good, more than cancel them out. It's just not worth having, and though I'm a happy person...... mainly.....I would be better off without it.
My father's death, was very upsetting for me and just can't get rid of the memories that I don't want to keep.
Of course, if I've never heard of something, nor witnessed it, or not told of an event....then I just won't know about it...and can't comment.

My mother said its because I had a very traumatic incident at 5 months old, when I was crawling on the kitchen floor and my older brother burst in from outside after excitedly returning from Italy.
He pushed the door so hard it ran right over the top of my fingers and they couldn't free them. He couldn't know I was on the other side.....and so close to the door...
I remember it...and can STILL see my father...hardly in from Italy, from a tiresome flight and road trip home......via Abbottsinch airport....old Glasgow airport.......
He had a screwdriver in his hand frantically trying to unscrew the hinges and lift up the door!..... freeing my fingers.
Of course, screaming the place down didn't help but after a few cuts and little bit of blood it ended well with no bones broken.
Since then, I'm not certain if it caused a heightened sense of attention to detail but it sure is a good feeling to win quizzes and competitions in the Fort bar especially when the local huns are in.....and THEY know I'm a rabid Celtic fan!
..... except if it's an Eastenders, Coronation st., Brookside, I'm a celeb etc., question....I wouldn't have a clue....it's personal, but I couldn't waste a split second of my life watching anything, or progs like them......I'll leave that to the unwashed hun...after all they need as much soap as they can get!
Hail Hail boys and thanks again.

But do you remember what you had for breakfast this morning, JC?........Just askin

But do you remember what you had for breakfast this morning, JC?........Just askin
Yes, Shammie.......
That's easy........nothing!
Needing to lose Christmas excess weight.....so, I have a glass of water a couple of times a day to assuage the hunger pangs lasting for a wee while then have a good meal at 6 ish..... and a couple of cups of tea, bed then start all over again tomorrow.....except when I go out for a couple on Friday night!
Oh and Celtic tomorrow, so in McCoy's for 12 ish... for a couple......club Celtic, for two o'clock.... another swifty, a hard pie, sausage roll, 8 nil, leave for home, back in bonnie, Madras at 9, then starve myself till next Friday..........
Ps........it's not really working though!
The diet that is..........Celtic is working fine.....
and thanks for asking, Shammie.....:devilish: :p

Latest posts

Back