The Huddle Podcast

Celtic By Numbers

THE HUDDLE

May I kindly request you have a go at listening to what could become a new Celtic regular podcast featuring myself (Celtic By Numbers) @jucojames and hosted by the admirable @enda_coll.

It will be a performance analysis-based look at Celtic and the first (pilot) episode discusses Celtic under Neil Lennon and what direction we are going.

Honest feedback welcome! Be warned, if you are kind we may make more. Even if you are not, we may make more just to be awkward.

You can listed/ watch on:

Youtube -

Deezer - https://www.deezer.com/en/show/1966562

Spreaker - https://www.spreaker.com/user/13464000/1111-the-huddle-podcast

Thanks for watching / listening.

THE HUDDLE

May I kindly request you have a go at listening to what could become a new Celtic regular podcast featuring myself (Celtic By Numbers) @jucojames and hosted by the admirable @enda_coll.

It will be a performance analysis-based look at Celtic and the first (pilot) episode discusses Celtic under Neil Lennon and what direction we are going.

Honest feedback welcome! Be warned, if you are kind we may make more. Even if you are not, we may make more just to be awkward.

Youtube -

enjoyed that

Dont agree with the analysis in certain points but at least its analysis on a deeper level.

lot of qualitative and human aspects missed from the analysis

But from a dry and robotic perspective its very good

Its good at highlighting areas that are weak but the human side is way more important than the numbers and indicators

imo

THE HUDDLE

Youtube -

is their analysis on fixture selections and timings after key European fixtures?

is there analysis on the selection of referees for games

is there analysis on the perceived and definitive and honest mistakes errors of referees?

If I was a cynic I might think the analysis in the podcast was an elaborate psychological propaganda projector

lot of conclusions based on analysis without the analysis being scrutinised robostly

lot of creaming over sevco

lot of covert celtic bashing with numbers but no really revealing the numbers the bashing based upon

And no real qualitative analysis

and imo a lot of confirmation bias and I knew I knew it but after the fact

lot of smoke and mirrors and sevvy style fluff

but at least it was better than most analytical analysis with some good insights as to potential weak spots

enjoyed that

Dont agree with the analysis in certain points but at least its analysis on a deeper level.

lot of qualitative and human aspects missed from the analysis

But from a dry and robotic perspective its very good

Its good at highlighting areas that are weak but the human side is way more important than the numbers and indicators

imo
Thank you for taking the time to listen and respond. Really appreciated. I guess we are pitching for unique slice of the very crowded Celtic podcast-sphere. We reckoned there was probably a lot of quite emotional "fan media" reaction and wanted to go for something a bit different. Nevertheless your feedback is invaluable and thanks again, Alan

is their analysis on fixture selections and timings after key European fixtures?

is there analysis on the perceived and definitive and honest mistakes errors of referees?

If I was a cynic I might think the analysis in the podcast was an elaborate psychological propaganda projector

lot of conclusions based on analysis without the analysis being scrutinised robostly

lot of covert celtic bashing with numbers but no really revealing the numbers the bashing based upon

but at least it was better than most analytical analysis with some good insights as to potential weak spots
Many thanks for listening and taking the time to respond. We did talk about putting up lots of graphs and charts but didn;t want it to be TOO dry. Its a balance and i agree we need to introduce SOME "data" to layer into the narrative otherwise it is more opinion. It gives me no pleasure to report The Rangers underlying performance numbers match their results. We should all collectively wake up to that fact was the message. You can see data on them if you follow Modern Fitba on Twitter. If you want detailed numbers behind the points i was making please see http://celticbynumberscom.ipage.com/lennons-celtic-an-appraisal-by-numbers/

But mainly i really appreciate your feedback. thank you

WOW as they say, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

The facts (withou numbers) are that Lennon has failed us in Euorpe and is now trailing Rangers. No suger coating it with poor refs, honest mistakes, and the fixture list.

If you had said like the podcast did.....missing key members of the team, or members of the team being completely off form or new players not bedding in I would have agreed with you.

I'm a big supporter of Lennon, but getting knocked out the Champions League again, was a bridge too far, why? because in the grand scheme of things getting to the Champiosn League in the modern game is massively important for a club like Celtic. Yes it's money, but money is the modern game.

Money gives you a sporting advantage..... and if you want to beat Sevco that's what you have to do, spend more, and spend more consitantly.

I've also said before we as a club limit ourselves looking over our shoulders at Sevco.....but if we don't change they wont look back once they've passed us.

Brillant Podcast lads.

That 8-0 win over Hamilton last week substantially improves their goal difference. Celtic are 9 points behind with 2 games in hand. Even if we win them and close the gap to 3 points behind we could find ourselves in the situation of being substantially behind in goals scored by that time. So that would mean that - everything else being equal in the other games re points won - would only need to win ONE of three Glasgow Derbies to win the league. That's the logic that they are working towards. We need to start thrashing teams ourselves to avoid this happening.

And it's all going to play out under Neil Lennon so we'd be better all getting behind the manager and the team. All in for the Ten.

WOW as they say, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

The facts (withou numbers) are that Lennon has failed us in Euorpe and is now trailing Rangers. No suger coating it with poor refs, honest mistakes, and the fixture list.

If you had said like the podcast did.....missing key members of the team, or members of the team being completely off form or new players not bedding in I would have agreed with you.

I'm a big supporter of Lennon, but getting knocked out the Champions League again, was a bridge too far, why? because in the grand scheme of things getting to the Champiosn League in the modern game is massively important for a club like Celtic. Yes it's money, but money is the modern game.

Money gives you a sporting advantage..... and if you want to beat Sevco that's what you have to do, spend more, and spend more consitantly.

I've also said before we as a club limit ourselves looking over our shoulders at Sevco.....but if we don't change they wont look back once they've passed us.

Brillant Podcast lads.
The podcast is based on numbers

the actual numbers aren't really discussed too much

implied rather than scrutinised

just like your implying I dont agree with your synopsis

I was trying to give the podcast some critical feedback on how I saw it.

I didn't protest about anything.

I suggested that a podcast that implies sevco made good signings based on unknown analytics and celtic signed badly based on unknown analytics is not really ronseal for the the podcasts unique selling point

it misses out mentioning the numbers its conclusions are based upon.

I certainly wasn't attacking or protesting anything.

I was also hinting at analytics that dont get much coverage ever but really really do have a season long impact.

the fact celtic are underperforming with personnel is visual and no need for analytics to point that out.

but the analytics are not discussed in the conclusions they are assumed that the dudes doing analysis are kosher and are actually basing their analysis on numbers and the numbers aren't really discussed just assumed that their analysis is correct and its based on robust anaylsis

I loved the podcast idea btw

I would have like a bit more accountability and transparency with a bit less celtic bashing and bigging up sevco and Gerrard and his team

your analysis that sevco will never look back is based on?

Last edited:
That 8-0 win over Hamilton last week substantially improves their goal difference. Celtic are 9 points behind with 2 games in hand. Even if we win them and close the gap to 3 points behind we could find ourselves in the situation of being substantially behind in goals scored by that time. So that would mean that - everything else being equal in the other games re points won - would only need to win ONE of three Glasgow Derbies to win the league. That's the logic that they are working towards. We need to start thrashing teams ourselves to avoid this happening.

And it's all going to play out under Neil Lennon so we'd be better all getting behind the manager and the team. All in for the Ten.
simple facts are simple

win win win win win

if we win more points we win league

goals are good

winning is more important

Great post WC I also happen to believe that Hamilton lay down to them (call me paranoid just not behind my back) I saw the goals and Hamilton just gave up, pathetic. Also I dont think they can be any better than they are now and when they lose players , important ones like we have, I think they will drop points at unlikely venues. They dont have the experience of leading for very long and will feel the pressure soon enough, we will click soon and there will be no stopping us HH

Great post WC I also happen to believe that Hamilton lay down to them (call me paranoid just not behind my back) I saw the goals and Hamilton just gave up, pathetic. Also I dont think they can be any better than they are now and when they lose players , important ones like we have, I think they will drop points at unlikely venues. They dont have the experience of leading for very long and will feel the pressure soon enough, we will click soon and there will be no stopping us HH
they lost to Stranraer couple days ago

im no so sure they lay down

just no playing well at moment

they lost to Stranraer couple days ago

im no so sure they lay down

just no playing well at moment
Have you seen the goals TET? I dont really watch them but because it was 8 I did and some beggar belief. Keeper making a quarter hearted attempt at saving shots etc I do think that they lay down/gave up if you like in that 2nd half

Have you seen the goals TET? I dont really watch them but because it was 8 I did and some beggar belief. Keeper making a quarter hearted attempt at saving shots etc I do think that they lay down/gave up if you like in that 2nd half
possible but maybe they are having off field problems that contributed to it.

No idea

if sevco beat Stranraer 8 nil it wouldn't be a huge surprise but Hamilton lost to Stranraer in terrible weather I must add

but Stranraer really dominated the premier side

also shows the standard of premier bottom clubs aint that much stronger than any of lower leagues these days

how to you attract good premier players with low wages in comparison to non league sky sponsored leagues.

most of premier players in scotland wouldn't look out of place in very low leagues in England in my opinion

and when you get near the bottom of barrel with wages then you will be lucky to hold onto half decent players

Stranraer really dominated the premier side

also shows the standard of premier bottom clubs aint that much stronger than any of lower leagues these days
If you look at the tables in the league cup many of the top flight sides are struggling and out even , I'm not sure if it's just the group winners who go through but kilmarnock Hamilton are out if so and st johnstone and hibs will be lucky to top their group as well. Only Celtic sevco Aberdeen and Motherwell the top 4 dont take part in this stage. We really should have the colts in there but cant go further than a certain stage even if they win the group. England does similar in the EFL trophy and we do it in the challenge cup but it would be more playing time for the youngsters.

Members online

Latest posts

Back