The Huddle Podcast

The podcast is based on numbers

the actual numbers aren't really discussed too much

implied rather than scrutinised

just like your implying I dont agree with your synopsis

I was trying to give the podcast some critical feedback on how I saw it.

I didn't protest about anything.

I suggested that a podcast that implies sevco made good signings based on unknown analytics and celtic signed badly based on unknown analytics is not really ronseal for the the podcasts unique selling point

it misses out mentioning the numbers its conclusions are based upon.

I certainly wasn't attacking or protesting anything.

I was also hinting at analytics that dont get much coverage ever but really really do have a season long impact.

the fact celtic are underperforming with personnel is visual and no need for analytics to point that out.

but the analytics are not discussed in the conclusions they are assumed that the dudes doing analysis are kosher and are actually basing their analysis on numbers and the numbers aren't really discussed just assumed that their analysis is correct and its based on robust anaylsis

I loved the podcast idea btw

I would have like a bit more accountability and transparency with a bit less celtic bashing and bigging up sevco and Gerrard and his team

your analysis that sevco will never look back is based on?
Hi thanks for that response and apologies i only just noticed it hence why id didnt reply sooner.

The podcast concept does present challenges as regards presenting data. Clearly to verbally spout loads of numbers off is going to be a hard listen. We have tried to integrate charts into our Youtube version but that presents a number of technical challenges as well as being limited to the Youtube audience. I'd love to do video analysis but copyright laws preclude that. WHat i think i (we) could do better / more if is to supplement each pod with the relevant data on my blog or on TWitter and invite comment there. Let me take that one.

The Sevco analysis from James is based on Wyscout and Modern Fitba data he subscribes to. I collect basic data via BBC as well as having detailed match data when they play Celtic. We cannot deny they are having a very successful season and that they are an appropriate bench mark for comparative purposes given size etc. It pains all of us to give that message but the data is clear regarding relative performance levels. If you want soothing lies then i am sure those are available elsewhere.

So thanks again your comments are constructive and i certainly agree we need to do a better job of supplementing the pod with actual data - just that the pod format isn;t the way to do that!

I really enjoy the podcast. I subscribe to the Cynic and Christian Wolf does a lot around analysis both written and in podcast format. They send links to the graphs etc in advance or put them up on the website. Perhaps a Huddle website might be something to consider as and when it grows enough. Considering how many podcasts are out there and how diluted the market must be I think you found a nice wee niche and as such I aded a subscription via Spotify and subscribed via You Tube.
Also have you considered a mythbuster section. For instance choosing a player each week where perhaps he's considered as faltering and showing the stats show differently, or even one we all think looks great but the numbers don't match what we think we see.
Also waiting for the big Stat fall out on air as you and Juco fall out publicly over the merits of Greg Taylor or Kris ajer. Far too civilised you pair :)
Keep up the good work. It's been a good addition to my subscription list!

I really enjoy the podcast. I subscribe to the Cynic and Christian Wolf does a lot around analysis both written and in podcast format. They send links to the graphs etc in advance or put them up on the website. Perhaps a Huddle website might be something to consider as and when it grows enough. Considering how many podcasts are out there and how diluted the market must be I think you found a nice wee niche and as such I aded a subscription via Spotify and subscribed via You Tube.
Also have you considered a mythbuster section. For instance choosing a player each week where perhaps he's considered as faltering and showing the stats show differently, or even one we all think looks great but the numbers don't match what we think we see.
Also waiting for the big Stat fall out on air as you and Juco fall out publicly over the merits of Greg Taylor or Kris ajer. Far too civilised you pair :)
Keep up the good work. It's been a good addition to my subscription list!
Thank you - some food for thought there

WOW as they say, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

The facts (withou numbers) are that Lennon has failed us in Euorpe and is now trailing Rangers. No suger coating it with poor refs, honest mistakes, and the fixture list.

If you had said like the podcast did.....missing key members of the team, or members of the team being completely off form or new players not bedding in I would have agreed with you.

I'm a big supporter of Lennon, but getting knocked out the Champions League again, was a bridge too far, why? because in the grand scheme of things getting to the Champiosn League in the modern game is massively important for a club like Celtic. Yes it's money, but money is the modern game.

Money gives you a sporting advantage..... and if you want to beat Sevco that's what you have to do, spend more, and spend more consitantly.

I've also said before we as a club limit ourselves looking over our shoulders at Sevco.....but if we don't change they wont look back once they've passed us.

Brillant Podcast lads.
Too much common sense in your post CR. Think I need a wee lay doon.

This wee section of your post had me thinking about Scott Sinclair and his 3rd ( I think) season with us. He was in the firing line quite a lot back then , many thought he wasn't contributing enough and failed to take a run at the defender , rather than hitting the bye-line and then cross it , he was often hammered for instead passing the ball backwards or sideways. At the time though he was also our top goalscorer and had many assists. It was frustrating to see, knowing that he had the pace to skin most defenders one on one . I always believed that it was partly a loss of that 1st season form ( outstanding he really was at that time) and partly Rodgers tactics, keep possession at all costs . A similar situation happened before with Forrest ( same kind of criticism) yet again the stats were showing him as one of our top scorers and massive contribution of assists. I should say that I've not yet listen to the podcast and it might not be anything to do with what I'm saying, ( I do that a lot 😛) which is that sometimes data, the numbers can only tell you so much and the managers tactics and philosophy may not be or possibly cannot be factored in 🤷‍♂️

This wee section of your post had me thinking about Scott Sinclair and his 3rd ( I think) season with us. He was in the firing line quite a lot back then , many thought he wasn't contributing enough and failed to take a run at the defender , rather than hitting the bye-line and then cross it , he was often hammered for instead passing the ball backwards or sideways. At the time though he was also our top goalscorer and had many assists. It was frustrating to see, knowing that he had the pace to skin most defenders one on one . I always believed that it was partly a loss of that 1st season form ( outstanding he really was at that time) and partly Rodgers tactics, keep possession at all costs . A similar situation happened before with Forrest ( same kind of criticism) yet again the stats were showing him as one of our top scorers and massive contribution of assists. I should say that I've not yet listen to the podcast and it might not be anything to do with what I'm saying, ( I do that a lot 😛) which is that sometimes data, the numbers can only tell you so much and the managers tactics and philosophy may not be or possibly cannot be factored in 🤷‍♂️
Aye you're on the right track Winter. I see folk get annoyed with stat podcasts as if they are trying to tell us everything. They aren't they are simply breaking down the numbers and usually not simply individual games but also substantial samples of data across a period of time. Take my Brother the other night, felt Soro was wasteful in posession, yet the stats showed he had 93% pass rate. I like the different angles like that. I like it when I look at something, see one thing and someone shows me my eyes are deceiving me :)

celticbynumbers@btinternet.com. That's the e-mail address on Alan Morrison's Celtic by Numbers website. Not the podcast itself but he is one of the contributors, so it would do the trick (y)
Thanks Winter. ( I DM'd Juco James on Twitter ) I really enjoy these analytics but the point I made to him is that there are no analytics for mental strength and that ,I believe , is Broonies true value to the team. We shot ourselves in the foot by dispensing with the invaluable mental strength of Gordon, Simunovic, Lustig and Hayes but as Mark Wilson says WE were screaming for the club to get shot of them and upgrade and if we hadn't and fallen behind as we have done we would have gone even more ballistic than we have

Hi thanks for that response and apologies i only just noticed it hence why id didnt reply sooner.

The podcast concept does present challenges as regards presenting data. Clearly to verbally spout loads of numbers off is going to be a hard listen. We have tried to integrate charts into our Youtube version but that presents a number of technical challenges as well as being limited to the Youtube audience. I'd love to do video analysis but copyright laws preclude that. WHat i think i (we) could do better / more if is to supplement each pod with the relevant data on my blog or on TWitter and invite comment there. Let me take that one.

The Sevco analysis from James is based on Wyscout and Modern Fitba data he subscribes to. I collect basic data via BBC as well as having detailed match data when they play Celtic. We cannot deny they are having a very successful season and that they are an appropriate bench mark for comparative purposes given size etc. It pains all of us to give that message but the data is clear regarding relative performance levels. If you want soothing lies then i am sure those are available elsewhere.

So thanks again your comments are constructive and i certainly agree we need to do a better job of supplementing the pod with actual data - just that the pod format isn;t the way to do that!
Good post CBN. Finding a way to elicit comments would certainly broaden the podcast but its still very enjoyable. Liked the respect you guys showed for Broony during your analysis 🍀🍀🍀

Members online

Latest posts

Back