The Inquest

I think about 99% of the fans, myself included, got it as wrong as Lenny today. I thought the best team to beat the Sevco today was the one Lenny picked and not the one that we'd playing recently, with Ntcham in the Number 10 role and Corpus out right and Jamesy out left. I think we probably would've been more effective with that system now. But everyone and their auntie was calling for Johnston in on the right, Corpus back to Number 10 and Jamesy back to the right.

When we beat them, with ease, at Ibrox at the start of the season, is it notable that we had Bitton and Jullien playing centre-half? Big Elhamed at right-back (ofc, Frimpong was one of our better players today)? I think we just got the system wrong. At Ibrox, Johnston was excellent - cuz, hey guess what,we pressed them high and Johnston was on top form and injury free. Today he got caught up in a shit system. Back at beginning of the season, we got right in their faces and took them seriously and we brushed them aside like an afternoon at Tynecastle.

Today, however, we sat off them and, so bizarrely, let them play their own game and then, when we did win back possession, our midfield seemed to have no discernible shape, or we decided to bypass our midfield, or play lots of passes in our own half, as if Brendan Rodgers was back in the dugout ...

Would the team that started against Lazio have beaten this Sevco side? I have no doubt in my mind that we would've. Elyounoussi on the top of his game is a workhorse, but even he can only play within the limits of the system. With reinforcements in January and, Christ have mercy, Lenny learning some lessons from this, I'm still confident than we can win the 9.

I just watched the highlights of the 5-0 game from Apr 2018 to try and work out how it has all turned to shite so quickly. The main difference is that the huns are better - only mcgregor and tavernier played that day and again today. We are missing KT - big time - bolingoli isn't good enough, forrest who was outstanding that day and rogic.

I wonder why so many players lose form so drastically. Rogic, Griffiths, sinclair, forrest (sometimes) - even Armstrong before he left?
Totally agree with missing KT, you can't replace someone like that, not with the money we have. Boli just not got it. Griffiths I think can still do a job for us
(Or am I deluded).

I assume you can read. You can almost write. So one is usually a prerequisite of the other. Have a read again of what I wrote and explain what made you think I was on drugs? Why is there such a cunty element to our fanbase these days?

Totally agree with missing KT, you can't replace someone like that, not with the money we have. Boli just not got it. Griffiths I think can still do a job for us
(Or am I deluded).

No idea why Bolingoli is (again) being scapegoated. He was playing as an attacking full back in a team where his channel was rendered entirely useless. We were playing what looked like an utter arse up of a 4-2-3-1 system, but with full on wingers, instead of 'compressed wide players' (the way in which Klopp's Liverpool sometimes play when not playing 4-3-3, and the way we mostly played under Brendan Rodgers). Guess who was playing a 4-2-3-1 with compressed wide players? Sevco. And they dominated us. They had their wide men, Kunt and Haribo or whatever their names are, essentially cut in to the midfield - Kunt was occupying Scott Brown, Aribo was doing the same to McGregor.

We played with two entirely ineffectual wide players who didn't play well as out-and-out wingers and didn't cut in to become compressed wide players and bolster the midfield. When we played the Slevco at Celtic Park and licked them 5-0, Rodgers played the 4-2-3-1 with compressed wide players beautifully. Callum McGregor, people forget, was essentially playing the Mikey Johnston role in that game, and he was cutting in and causing Sevco pure murder. Rogic was in the 10 and James Forrest was on the right. We had Brown and Ntcham as the fully centralised midfielders.

It's of some note that Elyounoussi's natural game is to cut in from wide positions and run across the front line. I still think this is about system and tactics more than personnel, not that we don't need new faces.

Members online

Latest posts

Back