the lisbon lions

seven past niven

being of an age who witnessed the lisbon lions it struck me the other day just how good they were because of the fact that big jock played a system that suited the player s available to him. the problems that we have encountered since then is that we have played systems that we have not had the players that could execute the the system that we expected them to carry out. when the lisbon lions played we had several world class players such as tommy gemmel bobby murdoch and wee jinky at our disposal together with the rest of the team ideally suited to our game plan. the challenge for ange is to develope a system that suits the players we have at present so as to avoid the embarrasment that we have endured in europe in recent seasons

We quite rightly worship the Lions as a great team full of legends. But I think many of us who grew up afterwards hearing stories of their fantastic achievements tend to think of them as an all-conquering team of 11 heroes who played week in-week out winning trophy after trophy.

However, the truth is that the Lions only played a total of eleven matches with that famous starting line-up. Therefore, I think that as fans we should pay more attention to the amazing support provided by the other players in the squad.

Obviously John Fallon was our only sub on the bench and he was understudy to Ronnie Simpson for the whole European campaign.

Willie O'Neill played in 4 European ties that season and Charlie Gallagher in two.

Poor Joe McBride was injured just before Christmas and so was a massive loss for the rest of the season.

And John Yogi Hughes actually played in more European ties that season than Willie Wallace!

IMO they should all be regarded as legends at the same level as the Lions. This in no way is trying to diminish the outstanding achievents of the starting 11 but just to acknowledge the important contributions of other players in that glorious and historic season as well. HH 🍀

We quite rightly worship the Lions as a great team full of legends. But I think many of us who grew up afterwards hearing stories of their fantastic achievements tend to think of them as an all-conquering team of 11 heroes who played week in-week out winning trophy after trophy.

However, the truth is that the Lions only played a total of eleven matches with that famous starting line-up. Therefore, I think that as fans we should pay more attention to the amazing support provided by the other players in the squad.

Obviously John Fallon was our only sub on the bench and he was understudy to Ronnie Simpson for the whole European campaign.

Willie O'Neill played in 4 European ties that season and Charlie Gallagher in two.

Poor Joe McBride was injured just before Christmas and so was a massive loss for the rest of the season.

And John Yogi Hughes actually played in more European ties that season than Willie Wallace!

IMO they should all be regarded as legends at the same level as the Lions. This in no way is trying to diminish the outstanding achievents of the starting 11 but just to acknowledge the important contributions of other players in that glorious and historic season as well. HH 🍀
I hadn't a clue that team only played 11 games together mate. That's incredible.

I get the feeling Ange will look for players who'll suit his system rather than finding a system to suit his players.

However going into the CL again I think we have to be prepared to be pragmatic and at times look to be difficult to beat. The Snake would field the same team with the same tactics against Dundee as against Barca and it wasn't exactly successful (against Barca)

I hadn't a clue that team only played 11 games together mate. That's incredible.

I get the feeling Ange will look for players who'll suit his system rather than finding a system to suit his players.

However going into the CL again I think we have to be prepared to be pragmatic and at times look to be difficult to beat. The Snake would field the same team with the same tactics against Dundee as against Barca and it wasn't exactly successful (against Barca)
After the Lisbon final, jock refused to play the same 11 players again, so no other team could say they beat the lions……protecting their legacy, he know what a monumental achievement they had done 👍

I got to know quite a few of the Lisbon Lions over the past decade or so. Willie Wallace's wife Olive's wee brother is my brother in law, I was visiting him and my sister this evening. In their garden they have a sign saying 67 miles to Paradise. I got to know Tommy Gemmell really well and was very close to him. Jim Craig too, is a Lion I knew well and of course Billy McNeill, what else can be said about him? None were arrogant, all of them brilliant company as was Bertie, Charlie Gallagher and thankfully still with us Big Yogi and John Fallon. Celtic through and through each and every one of them.

I got to know quite a few of the Lisbon Lions over the past decade or so. Willie Wallace's wife Olive's wee brother is my brother in law, I was visiting him and my sister this evening. In their garden they have a sign saying 67 miles to Paradise. I got to know Tommy Gemmell really well and was very close to him. Jim Craig too, is a Lion I knew well and of course Billy McNeill, what else can be said about him? None were arrogant, all of them brilliant company as was Bertie, Charlie Gallagher and thankfully still with us Big Yogi and John Fallon. Celtic through and through each and every one of them.
Not only were they were talented athletes and very gifted footballers, but also wonderfully humble human beings. They appreciated they were part of something truly special but they were always quick to share the glory with many others including the fans.

It was an amazing achievement that really changed the sport forever - and for the best.

Thanks to all associated with the club who gave us a reason to be proud. 🍀

Last edited:

Well put BB todays teams are 14 or 16 players the benches are as important as the starting 11.
But what a Team that was and always will be.
Its starting to gel with What Ange is trying to here as this Season has shown play to your strength’s with pace and passion and belief in what your doing has brought the success we’ve enjoyed and he’s only getting started.
With luck we’re going to be smiling a lot more 💚
Mon the Hoops

HH 🍀

Your a lucky man WC, I've briefly met Billy and Yogi, wee Bertie was a patron of Strathaven Dynamo and presented my son with his league winners medal and me being a coach I got to chat for a minute or two with him, well when I say chat I mean listen to him as he shook my hand.

About a year later I was queuing at the ticket office along with a few hundred others when wee Bertie arrived walking by us all saying hi in that distinctive voice, when he reached were I was he stopped, came over and shook my hand and asked about my son. Made me feel 10ft tall that he actually remembered me.

Back