The nags.

When I was a Young apprentice one of the older boys Willie whose dad was a bookie,. and the older tradesmen were always asking him for tips ,inside knowledge etc , willie said to me one day 'never bet , why do you think my dad drives a Bentley and they are all subbing their wages until Friday?' Easy lesson learnt early

When I was a Young apprentice one of the older boys Willie whose dad was a bookie,. and the older tradesmen were always asking him for tips ,inside knowledge etc , willie said to me one day 'never bet , why do you think my dad drives a Bentley and they are all subbing their wages until Friday?' Easy lesson learnt early
Ma dad was a bookie mate!!!how fuckin dumb am I??🤪

You're not a bookie then ?
They'd disagree with that I'm sure , call it a gut instinct 😅
It's from a Genesis song ;)

But I remembered a voice from the past
"Gambling only pays when you're winning"
Had to thank old Miss Mort for schooling a failure
Keep them mowing blades sharp

Very good advice Marky.

Having had my fair share of experience and problems with various addictions in my younger years, though thank the lord never gambling. Not on any scale that would cripple me, always been low stakes.

I've always been of the belief that gambling , or specifically those with a gambling addiction are landed sadly with the worst of addictions.

I've known some heavy gamblers in my time and it is imo the most terrible one a person could have.

By that what I'm getting at is people might be alcoholic, it might be heroin or some other drug, prescription or otherwise that has hold of them .

Those addicts at least get something in return for their misuse, in terms of a high but gambling?
Might win, get a buzz but can't stop so any winnings go straight back on again.

When all is lost then they must wait what must be an eternity for the next time they have any cash to gamble away.

So the 'return' is minimal and short lived.
I can only sympathise with those who have this awful addiction and their families .

Very good advice Marky.

Having had my fair share of experience and problems with various addictions in my younger years, though thank the lord never gambling. Not on any scale that would cripple me, always been low stakes.

I've always been of the belief that gambling , or specifically those with a gambling addiction are landed sadly with the worst of addictions.

I've known some heavy gamblers in my time and it is imo the most terrible one a person could have.

By that what I'm getting at is people might be alcoholic, it might be heroin or some other drug, prescription or otherwise that has hold of them .

Those addicts at least get something in return for their misuse, in terms of a high but gambling?

When all is lost then they must wait what must be an eternity for the next time they have any cash to gamble away.

I can only sympathise with those who have this awful addiction and their families .
My Dad used to say gambling is worse than drinking because you can gamble your paypacket away in 5 minutes, but you couldn't drink your paypacket in one go
HH

When I worked in an office in Paisley we had awee guy you would go into town and put a line on at lunchtime
Wee Al, would ask if anyone wanted anything...
One of our warehouse bosses, said to him one day
"Wee man, put this line on for me...3:30 at Kempton..."
"Aye nae problem Jimmy"
He gets to the bookies, gives the woman the note, with the ten bob note in it
It read:
Horse: MABOZ
Jockey: R. Ritchie
Wee Al comes back and hands Jimmy his ten bob back..."The wummin said it was scratched"
The humour back in the day, was first class
My Mother worked in the bookies for a while
PS: wisnae her ;-)

Last edited:
Very good advice Marky.

A no a started this conversation way ma shitty tip😔but a don’t have an addiction to gambling,I lose only what I can afford,but I understand there’s guys out there with gambling problems so in future I’ll keep ma trap shut way the tips a get🫤…thing is I know some real shady characters and when they tell me it’s a good day for the laundry well a like to share??al keep schtum in future✌️

A no a started this conversation way ma shitty tip😔but a don’t have an addiction to gambling,I lose only what I can afford,but I understand there’s guys out there with gambling problems so in future I’ll keep ma trap shut way the tips a get🫤…thing is I know some real shady characters and when they tell me it’s a good day for the laundry well a like to share??al keep schtum in future✌️
No need pal
There's lots of folk who have different things going on
Share what you like
I worked with a mate in my teens and we got paid monthly, that was fucked up, by the way
Skint by the second week, and two more to go
One payday we went into the toon, and grabbed some hot pies for our lunch, then went for a pint , but we stopped into the bookies, as he had a 'sure thing' from someone who was 'in the know'
FFS, 18, and barely knew anything...he was all bravado, as he put his whole paypacket on the nose on the horse
Next morning, he wasn't his usual greagrious self
I asked how his horse did
Was told 'Don't fucking ask'
His folks weren't best pleased to learn of his stupidity
I don't think he ever placed a bet again
You live, you learn
HH

Last edited:
Dinna be daft espirito , and I meant no offence nor was I suggesting that you mightve had a gambling problem.

On the contrary mate , it just took me back to some folk I've known who have had one.

This is a forum to post what you want, if it wasn't you'd have heard about it before and not from me, just another punter like yourself and its not my forum its " our forum" collectively and like I said I enjoy wee flutters myself.

My low stakes punts on fitba accas earned me over £150 with £1&£2 bets.
I won 8/10 low stakes accas and took paddy for a decent amount that way , even won a pair of PP y-fronts for my jamminess haha.

So apologies if my post made you think otherwise buddy I was merely digressing into tangent mode , pay no attention to my ramblings ✌️

Last edited:
Back