The offside rule

Its when the ball is touched. Its here..
Reading that it says the player has to be in an offside position when the ball is played by a team mate but isn't ruled offside until he touches the ball or interferes with play. So the old rule still applies that he has to be offside when the pass is made. Jota wasn't as far as I'm concerned.

Reading that it says the player has to be in an offside position when the ball is played by a team mate but isn't ruled offside until he touches the ball or interferes with play. So the old rule still applies that he has to be offside when the pass is made. Jota wasn't as far as I'm concerned.
I believe thats the interpretation of the law that applies. I didnt make my last post clear when I said 'touched' by that I meant by the player making the pass, not the receiver.

Guess whos one of the permanent members of IFAB who make the laws of the game?

Clue: They start with an S end in a A, and have an F in the middle.

Do as we say, not as we do, springs to mind.
Yip. The IFAB is still made up of 1 representative from each of the the four British football associations (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) with one vote each, and FIFA, covering the remaining 207 national associations, with four votes.

Although many countries are unhappy with this clearly British-centric arrangement I believe it can't be changed unless the IFAB votes as a majority to change the set-up, which the 4 blazers from the Home Nations will never do.

Yip. The IFAB is still made up of 1 representative from each of the the four British football associations (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) with one vote each, and FIFA, covering the remaining 207 national associations, with four votes.

Although many countries are unhappy with this clearly British-centric arrangement I believe it can't be changed unless the IFAB votes as a majority to change the set-up, which the 4 blazers from the Home Nations will never do.

Can just imagine those meetings
N, Irish :
" So what do yous think about that?"

Scotland and Wales :
" We're just waiting to hear what England have to say "

N. Irish :
" Stfu you two , I was talking to England"

I read something about how the so called “Home Nations” were allowed to play in FIFA/UEFA competitions. They had always swerved the World Cup because FIFA wanted them to play as one country not four.
World War 2 bankrupted FIFA/UEFA. In the late 1940s a Britain v Rest of the World game was arranged and played at Hampden. The money raised was given to FIFA/UEFA on the understanding that the home nations could enter the Euros and World Cups as four separate countries. (The original 5 way agreement?) 1950 being the first time any of the four played at a WC.

Members online

Latest posts

Back