The Poppy?

The wearing of the poppy is clearly a personal choice but as always the individual can choose on that. Hijacked or not the intentions of the funds raised from the sales are often very well intentioned.
I've worked in homelessness for a long time now. So long :)
You always have to tap into charity organisations to access funding for deposits, furniture, clothes, rent arrears, so many things since austerity robbed the poor to amend the errors of the rich.
The money raised in such rememberance is used to fund housing for ex veterans and those who are/were their wives, or children, mothers etc. They make up a large proportion of the single and family homeless and those in need of other areas of support much like mental health.
We can over politicise the poppy itself, but the funds gleaned are vital. I've been indebted to the help they've given me in my job and the lives (genuinely) they have saved as a result.

Accidentally came across this song.

its pretty famous apparently

Just I never heard it.

song about an Anzac dude at gallipolli and his experience of war

not a nice song but it tells a story that has a message that hits the heart

Might just be me, but it puts me right off the idea of war and its long consequences for people who survive it.

Not a fan of the poppy shite myself

But I respect the sacrifice of the men who thought they were doing the right thing.

This is the only Poppy for me; Poppy Bridgewater. She's won me a few quid, not as much as Holly Doyle but sure Holly beats Poppy any day of the week.

Ck50W5UW0AAmawZ.jpg:large

Accidentally came across this song.

its pretty famous apparently

Just I never heard it.

song about an Anzac dude at gallipolli and his experience of war

not a nice song but it tells a story that has a message that hits the heart

Might just be me, but it puts me right off the idea of war and its long consequences for people who survive it.

Not a fan of the poppy shite myself

But I respect the sacrifice of the men who thought they were doing the right thing.

The Pogues done a version aswell

A strange observation that I find interesting,

bit far out there, I know, but hopefully not totally irrational

There was a famous movie by famous director by Stanley Kubrick

Eyes wide shut

Basically about the hidden power structures that hide in plain sight with their weird cult behaviours

That movie is suppose to highlight the weird world used by illuminati powerbroker who are often accused of being the men who direct wars on both sides of conflict

the death, sacrifice and holocaust of manipulation in power circles

take control of good causes but manipulate the outcomes for even greater control of resources while hiding behind the superficial false flag

Anyway the illuminati is allegedly the black masonic inner circle of the red masonic world of extreme liberalism

red the colour of blood death sacrifice

And black the grand orient cabalistic occult inner circle that directs the pawns in their game.

Eyes wide shut has two main colour schemes

red and black

red usually represent communism
black represents fascism usually

is the poppy which is also the source of pain relief drugs and heroin addiction, really a symbol for the power brokers to laugh at the mayhem they inflict in world?

their two main colours red and black

sacrifice and death and the mind numbing drugs they are fighting to control

can never quite understand the positive connection of poppy symbol

But ever since watching eyes wide shut and the strange death of Kubrick on third day after its release, I often wonder if the madmen who love the red and black are really sending out a little poetic yet disturbing message.

The symbolism of the poppy is just that it grew copiously in the fields of France where so many died during WW1. I think.
no sure myself but I always imagined it needed Afghanistan type weather to grow, but might be my own false assumption

no sure myself but I always imagined it needed Afghanistan type weather to grow, but might be my own false assumption
No TET. That is some Himalyan poppies, but there are many species that grow here in Europe's temporate climate. Their seeds spread wide and they love freshly churned ground so loved the no mans land between the trenches in WW1. They gtew well in the remains of the killing fields of France and Belgium.

No TET. That is some Himalyan poppies, but there are many species that grow here in Europe's temporate climate. Their seeds spread wide and they love freshly churned ground so loved the no mans land between the trenches in WW1. They gtew well in the remains of the killing fields of France and Belgium.
learn something everyday

thanks

The symbolism of the poppy is just that it grew copiously in the fields of France where so many died during WW1. I think.
Correct Shammy, the famous poem, written by a Canadian Doctor
In Flanders Fields
John McCrae - 1872-1918

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Not interested in taking part of a cult of veneration for an army and empire that looted, raped, pillaged and oppressed much of the world. One that actually, if not for sheer luck, would've stopped me ever making it into the world. If the poppy was simply a mark of remembrance to all victims of war, or a mark of remembrance to those who physically fought fascism, I'd have no problems with it (though still wouldn't wear it), but despite the good intentions of many who wear it, it has been appropriated by the jingoism and militaristic chauvinism that runs deep at the heart of British society. It was appropriated most despicably by Tony Blair to garner dumb support for 'our boys' (not my fucking boys) as they occupied Iraq and Afghanistan.

More broadly, the poppy reflects a monstrous fundamental truth of Britishness - that not only does it have no intention of ever really owning up to the fact that it ran an empire that was the most wicked criminal and genocidal enterprise in human history, but it still to this day thinks that empire is worth venerating. The Poppy, whether one likes it or not, has come to symbolise this - British chauvinism.

Never will I wear a poppy. I'm not British. I have no links or connections to the British Army and, while I respect all the people on here whose grandfather's fought fascism and respect their right to remember them in whatever way they want, I only associate the poppy with very real, current and destructive British chauvinism.

Not interested in taking part of a cult of veneration for an army and empire that looted, raped, pillaged and oppressed much of the world. One that actually, if not for sheer luck, would've stopped me ever making it into the world. If the poppy was simply a mark of remembrance to all victims of war, or a mark of remembrance to those who physically fought fascism, I'd have no problems with it (though still wouldn't wear it), but despite the good intentions of many who wear it, it has been appropriated by the jingoism and militaristic chauvinism that runs deep at the heart of British society. It was appropriated most despicably by Tony Blair to garner dumb support for 'our boys' (not my fucking boys) as they occupied Iraq and Afghanistan.

More broadly, the poppy reflects a monstrous fundamental truth of Britishness - that not only does it have no intention of ever really owning up to the fact that it ran an empire that was the most wicked criminal and genocidal enterprise in human history, but it still to this day thinks that empire is worth venerating. The Poppy, whether one likes it or not, has come to symbolise this - British chauvinism.

Never will I wear a poppy. I'm not British. I have no links or connections to the British Army and, while I respect all the people on here whose grandfather's fought fascism and respect their right to remember them in whatever way they want, I only associate the poppy with very real, current and destructive British chauvinism.

First line. Go u, our Sam ✊

Can’t disagree with that. Hunner %

I wear a poppy for the members of my family who served in the force's my 2 Great Grandas who fought in the same 1st WW, my 2 Granda's who were in the R Navy. My Da who was also in the R NAVY, he was in the Falklands War he got a got the Military Medal for bravery, he rescued fellow sailors when their ships got attacked.

So that's why I wear a poppy

I wear a poppy for the members of my family who served in the force's my 2 Great Grandas who fought in the same 1st WW, my 2 Granda's who were in the R Navy. My Da who was also in the R NAVY, he was in the Falklands War he got a got the Military Medal for bravery, he rescued fellow sailors when their ships got attacked.

So that's why I wear a poppy

He must be the only dude in the navy wi a kid... kiddin

Back