The Poppy?

I wear it with pride the pride a grandson has for his grunda who fought against the Nazis Dunkirk,D Day and finally and thankfully to his demob. And for all the men of the first and second World Wars.
I totally understand why some don’t and fully respect their right not to wear it.
I don’t know what the Celtic support think this is a personal thing for me I wear it with pride.
and always will.
For Alex McNeill ma Grunda ma hero miss him everyday.

HH 🍀

I used to wear a poppy every year for the same reasons as Jam said. Lots of good, honest and brave people in the military who have sacrificed everything for their country and they deserve to be remembered. I still donate to the poppy fund but haven't worn one in recent years because I believe the poppy has been hijacked by hunnery, in the west of Scotland at least.
My neighbour's a big hun, on the dole for 20 years obviously, but come poppy time he wears one bigger than his face! "you need to support the queen's army" all that pish, go get a job, pay some tax and you'll support them even more then, fanny!

I always buy and wear a poppy every year. For me it is a mark of respect for all of the sacrifices that were made by ordinary people forced into fighting wars they did not understand. Sadly these mostly unnecessary wars still continue to this day and leave behind devastation, famine, disease, anger and heartbreak. I agree though that the use of the poppy has become hijacked in the last couple of decades to try to represent it as something else, which sickens me (which the British Legion acknowledge and do try to distance themselves from).

Also, I understand and respect why some people do not like or even actively hate the poppy.

I have no direct relation to Ireland or having had to suffer the British Army during the Troubles, so this has not influenced my feelings (although I sympathise with those that did and choose to ignore the poppy, as is their right).

Fortunately I have never lived anywhere the Orange Order has had any influence and out of all of the rangers fans I know, I would only describe 1 as having "hun" tendencies, so again this has not caused me further revulsion over how some people promote the poppy these days.

If the poppy was for only the world wars then I'm sure most people would wear it. I for one don't wear it even thou my Father Uncles all served in world War 2. I believe the poppy has been hijacked by the old empire. Wars that included the genocide of people's in far off lands, and closer to home in the free state and Northern Ireland. The British empire IMHO should never be celebrated, thousands upon thousands of people died in wars conducted by the British. Poppy remembrance 2 World wars only,,, but cannot stomach all campaigns British forces were involved in. HH ☘️☘️

I wear it with pride the pride a grandson has for his grunda who fought against the Nazis Dunkirk,D Day and finally and thankfully to his demob. And for all the men of the first and second World Wars.
I totally understand why some don’t and fully respect their right not to wear it.
I don’t know what the Celtic support think this is a personal thing for me I wear it with pride.
and always will.
For Alex McNeill ma Grunda ma hero miss him everyday.

HH 🍀
I get what ye are saying about the men and women (conscripts) of WW2 and their legacy, the welfare state and the NHS.
It's the volunteers of the modern era I have no time for. The far right are well represented in the modern British army too.

Difficult imatim, some will wear it others won't. Has been for as long as I can remember. Tbh I think we are not going to get everyone together on this, best we can hope for is the support to agree to disagree on this subject. HH. ☘☘

Yea I get that.....I was wondering if we as a Support would endorse something different.....something to remember the fallen.....something to remember those that not only fell fighting against oppression.....but those who fell as a result of oppression.....I say this with Bloody Sunday and the like in mind.....take back the true meaning of remembrance of those who have fallen for standing up to oppression.....a new symbol the Support could get behind.....perhaps someone could suggest such a symbol?

Do we not already have one in a white poppy? HH☘☘

I’m not sure my friend.....if so, why don’t we take control of the narrative and let the world know why we support such a symbol.....why it encompasses all who have fallen.....all who have fallen at the hand of oppression wherever it has occurred.....make it public knowledge we support a symbol that remembers the fallen of oppression in all its shapes and forms?

They currently try to hold us to ransom on this issue.....I say let’s take it away from them

Last edited:
I'm getting the fk out of Lanarkshire and moving to your place Bridie! 👍 😹
Wait until you hear this one Hoopy! One of my pals who I've been friends with since school joined the Masons a few years ago to much abuse from us lot, and he got promoted up to Head Goat-fiddler of his lodge (I think that is the technical term for him). And he is a Celtic fan through and through. My late Granddad was the same! Even the vast majority of the Masons up here are decent and hate what the Orange Order stand for - still don't trust them completely though ;) !

Anyway back to the thread. I think we all have to respect everyone else's opinion on this matter as doubt we will never get common ground on this issue as it too personal.

What’s your take on the wearing of the Poppy.....Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Has the wearing of the Poppy been highjacked? If so, by whom and for what purpose?

No doubt a contentious topic.....where do we stand as a Support on this?
Am sure we've been here before and it caused carnage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait until you hear this one Hoopy! One of my pals who I've been friends with since school joined the Masons a few years ago to much abuse from us lot, and he got promoted up to Head Goat-fiddler of his lodge (I think that is the technical term for him). And he is a Celtic fan through and through. My late Granddad was the same! Even the vast majority of the Masons up here are decent and hate what the Orange Order stand for - still don't trust them completely though ;) !

Anyway back to the thread. I think we all have to respect everyone else's opinion on this matter as doubt we will never get common ground on this issue as it too personal.
Is your pal Catholic Bridie?Always thought Catholics were banned from joining but then i read its changed.

Am sure we've been here before and it caused carnage 😀

To me the wearing of the Poppy has been politicised.....why can’t we as a Support define what we believe remembrance is all about.....to remember all who have died at the hands of oppression in all its shapes and forms.....throw our weight behind the true meaning of remembrance.....not a bastardised version for political capital

Simple you wear a poppy you fund and agree with British forces being and doing whatever they like anywhere and everywhere it no longer represent the world wars in any way and that other mob have claimed it to represent there club Britishness imperialism at its best shame on them that fund them let the governments that took them to war fund them and if u think you’re wearing it to remember you’re family do you think they went to war to have the world we have today learn why the poppy was invented sham

Simple you wear a poppy you fund and agree with British forces being and doing whatever they like anywhere and everywhere it no longer represent the world wars in any way and that other mob have claimed it to represent there club Britishness imperialism at its best shame on them that fund them let the governments that took them to war fund them and if u think you’re wearing it to remember you’re family do you think they went to war to have the world we have today learn why the poppy was invented sham

I appreciate it is seen as a sham by many.....me included.....but to many others remembrance is meaningful and important.....what I would like to see is us supporting a symbol that has meaning to us as a Support.....a symbol that has true meaning.....meaning that encompasses all who have suffered at the hands of oppression.....forget the red Poppy.....can we agree to a symbol that has true and meaningful remembrance?

Members online

Latest posts

Back